The Young Sound vs. Hit Parade on KIRO FM 100.7 1967 - 71 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Young Sound vs. Hit Parade on KIRO FM 100.7 1967 - 71

That rotation was important. When in high school I was working solo some nights at a not very busy spot in the food court of the local mall. The radio served as primary entertainment for much of the shift. The station I listened to most played two oldies an hour, top and bottom of the hour. I knew the reels by listening. I knew, and I still remember this decades later, if I heard Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin at 7:00, I would hear Nights In White Satin by The Moody Blues at 8:30. It happened about every 10 days. I even made a bet with a friend, that I obviously won. When you start the reel at the same spot every time and in the same rotation this happens. Granted I didn't listen to radio, I sort of studied it.

Some stations are like this even today. I think they still do this, but a few years ago, KQMV used to play their powers in the same order all the time. They had the same clock from 2012 to early 2014, and I knew exactly when a power would come up. It was at the top of the hour, the first song out of each break, and the bottom. That clock made a lot of sense to me. I'd be willing to guess that I could predict what they will play when even today, but that would take me a lot of time analyzing the playlist on the website for times, then writing out the upcoming playlist, before going back and looking to see if I was right. That's time I don't want to take right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    Some stations are like this even today. I think they still do this, but a few years ago, KQMV used to play their powers in the same order all the time. They had the same clock from 2012 to early 2014, and I knew exactly when a power would come up. It was at the top of the hour, the first song out of each break, and the bottom. That clock made a lot of sense to me. I'd be willing to guess that I could predict what they will play when even today, but that would take me a lot of time analyzing the playlist on the website for times, then writing out the upcoming playlist, before going back and looking to see if I was right. That's time I don't want to take right now.
    Used to be: Power at the quarter hour, starting with the top. The term at the time was: 'Quarter hour maintenance'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Used to be: Power at the quarter hour, starting with the top. The term at the time was: 'Quarter hour maintenance'.
    Still is to a degree, since the game is about maximining quarter hours. How you do it may have changed a bit with PPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    haha...spots at :11, :26, and :54-:55, adding a :41 if sold out! I remember the drill. I never came to a conclusion that this quarter hour theory really meant too much, but it certainly was followed back in the day.

Then there were stations that went against conventional thinking that stopped down every 2-3 songs for a quick stopset of just a couple of commercials. KFRC tried this back in the 70's as I recall. On the news side the famous positioner, "give us 20 minutes and we will give you the world" was completely intended to create two quarter hours of listening. Surprisingly, this positioner can still be heard today, probably with the programmer having no understanding of why it exists.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234