• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

pur on fpg

Gunsmoke

Banned
Never knew WPUR moved from the Taj to the WFPG tower, how long has this been, I did notice the last year WPUR has been much stronger, completely wiping WRDV's Philly signal out. Why was this done anyway, to save some $$$$, can the thin WFPG tower support another five or six bay antenna, I know NOAA is on that site.

PUR's Taj tower was 4 bays. From a 2017 streetview, it appears there are 10 bays on the FPG/PGG tower. Is Chris Coleman or Tom M. still around? Maybe one of them can elaborate on the antenna move.

The 107.3 RDV translator was never that great in Philly (due to the low tower perhaps), though it was okay to the northwest when you were 'up the hill' from west Philly.

taj01.jpg

I just checked out the streetview on google maps from a year ago, very interesting, the top 5 bays have always been WFPGs 50kw setup. Now you can see 6 smaller bays under WFPGs, that might be the 25kw setup for WPUR, but I went back to 2013 and the 6 bay is still there, so it might be WFPGs back up. RL has WPURs much lower on the tower than WFPGs bays, so they are not using WFPGs, so where are they??? I enjoy some of WRDVs programs, but you cannot drive around the area and keep them locked in and in a building, forget it. I think the problem with WRDV is they could never get FCC approval and they have been around a long time for any power increase from 20 watts, like the new kid on the block WURDs translator, increasing from 99 to 250 watts in less than a year...hmmmm wonder why.

I just checked out the streetview on google maps from a year ago, very interesting, the top 5 bays have always been WFPGs 50kw setup. Now you can see 6 smaller bays under WFPGs, that might be the 25kw setup for WPUR, but I went back to 2013 and the 6 bay is still there, so it might be WFPGs back up. RL has WPURs much lower on the tower than WFPGs bays, so they are not using WFPGs, so where are they??? I enjoy some of WRDVs programs, but you cannot drive around the area and keep them locked in and in a building, forget it. I think the problem with WRDV is they could never get FCC approval and they have been around a long time for any power increase from 20 watts, like the new kid on the block WURDs translator, increasing from 99 to 250 watts in less than a year...hmmmm wonder why.

The FCC "FM Search" shows the licensed main site to have a 6 bay ERI antenna. The center of radiation is 94 m. WFPG is at 110 m and the license to cover was granted in 1986.

So where are WPURs bays? I remember many, many, years ago when WFPG AM/FM broadcasted from Steel Pier and the actual studios were over the Atlantic Ocean and that tower always having many bays in the 60's, I believe they were 20kw, then went to 50kw in 1970

So where are WPURs bays? I remember many, many, years ago when WFPG AM/FM broadcasted from Steel Pier and the actual studios were over the Atlantic Ocean and that tower always having many bays in the 60's, I believe they were 20kw, then went to 50kw in 1970

PUR's 6-bay ERI is centered at 94 meters HAAT, just below the WFPG bays.

FM translators associated with AM stations are subject to different rules than FM fill-ins and non-coms. You seem to think that there’s something else going on with WURD’s translator. Do you care to share what you think that is? Just curious...

They have looser restrictions, not like others, they come on the scene from some New England trade off, still don't know how they pulled that one, wipe out Cat Country, then triple their power with a directional signal that reaches Lakehurst over 40 miles due east, when WDVR cannot get more than 20w for decades. I won't even mention the AM signal.

PUR's 6-bay ERI is centered at 94 meters HAAT, just below the WFPG bays.
[/

Why is it that they are the strongest signal here in center city, better than all the big boys at the shore. WMGM and WAYV a bit closer, more power and height, WZXL more power and height a litter further away, WFPG same distance but more power and height?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom