• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Megyn out at Today?

i think what NBC should do if they cancel Megyn Kelly Today is replace it with 2 hours of Kathie Lee & Hoda if they stick to 4 hours of Today or revert back to the previous format of the 3rd hour of Today.

There's absolutely no reason why Kathie Lee & Hoda need a second hour. They do just fine on an hour program with commercials. They've got enough time to get through 'the scoop,' the celebrity interview, the 'Ambush Makeover' on Thursday, the Who Knew segment on Wednesday, and the musical guest. I'd send 10AM back to the affiliates for syndicated programming.

i think what NBC should do if they cancel Megyn Kelly Today is replace it with 2 hours of Kathie Lee & Hoda if they stick to 4 hours of Today or revert back to the previous format of the 3rd hour of Today.
By the end of the second hour they'd be so drunk what they said wouldn't make any sense.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/megyn-kelly-legal-fight-nbc-blackface-1202993968/

Now a legal fight is being reported

Megyn Kelly has beefed up her team by hiring a top Hollywood litigator amidst her blackface controversy, signaling that the anchor is ready to put up an aggressive fight as she sorts out her likely exit plan with NBC.

Kelly is now represented by Bryan Freedman, one of the founding partners of the Los Angeles-based law firm Freedman & Taitelman, Variety has confirmed. Kelly’s new attorney is set to meet with NBC executives as early as Friday to “determine next steps,” insiders say.

Neither Kelly’s personal representative nor attorney were immediately available for comment on the anchor’s current status at NBC.

The appointment of Kelly’s attorney comes as the anchor has parted ways with her agency, CAA. A person familiar with the matter tells Variety that Kelly departed CAA because the agency also represents NBC News president Noah Oppenheim.

In recent months, prior to the recent controversy, tensions have been growing between Kelly and NBC News management. Sources with knowledge of the situation say that NBC News chairman Andy Lack disapproved of Kelly aggressively covering stories about sexual harassment on her show, particularly related to NBC and disgraced anchor Matt Lauer, who was fired last November.

If her show was a ratings juggernaut right out of the gate, would any of this be happening?
Makes you think.

Since her show was DOA combined with NBC backing up a dump truck amount of money to secure a contract, this seems like a convenient out clause for NBC brass to execute.

If her show was a ratings juggernaut right out of the gate, would any of this be happening?
Makes you think. .

Oh, I think she would still be in trouble. Roseanne's show was highly rated, but it didn't help her much.

Bottom line - you just can't say racist crap anymore in the media and expect to get away with it. Please note that I am not calling Megyn a racist - I have no idea if she is or not. But she is known for saying spectacularly inappropriate things. Remember when she was still at Fox, and noted that Santa Claus was Caucasian? Though perhaps less politically incorrect than her "blackface" remarks, it was just stupid. Yes - a make believe character is portrayed as white, but that's because the culture has been dominated by whites. No reason Santa can't be black, Asian, or whatever.

That's like saying Jesus is white. Again - that's because white artists have been painting Jesus as tall, slim, and white for centuries. Being from the middle east, chances are he was dark, short, and swarthy.

Oh, I think she would still be in trouble. Roseanne's show was highly rated, but it didn't help her much.

Bottom line - you just can't say racist crap anymore in the media and expect to get away with it. Please note that I am not calling Megyn a racist - I have no idea if she is or not. But she is known for saying spectacularly inappropriate things. Remember when she was still at Fox, and noted that Santa Claus was Caucasian? Though perhaps less politically incorrect than her "blackface" remarks, it was just stupid. Yes - a make believe character is portrayed as white, but that's because the culture has been dominated by whites. No reason Santa can't be black, Asian, or whatever.

That's like saying Jesus is white. Again - that's because white artists have been painting Jesus as tall, slim, and white for centuries. Being from the middle east, chances are he was dark, short, and swarthy.

St. Nicholas, the purported inspiration for Santa Claus, was Greek, so he also wouldn't have been the fair-skinned, rosy-cheeked gent Santa is usually presented as.

Also Clarkson not going to be on in KC area because Steve Harvey leads into Ellen KMBC a ABC station and was talking NBC that don't have Ellen like KSHB.

NBC is foolish to try to pay her less. Suck it up and pay her the amount. You were foolish enough to give her that contract.

Further, what she said was not overtly racist. Considering the network employs someone who actually wore blackface previously in a comic skit makes this more about trying to drop someone who hasn't worked out as expected. NBC does it self no favors by drawing this out.

NBC is foolish to try to pay her less. Suck it up and pay her the amount. You were foolish enough to give her that contract.

Further, what she said was not overtly racist. Considering the network employs someone who actually wore blackface previously in a comic skit makes this more about trying to drop someone who hasn't worked out as expected. NBC does it self no favors by drawing this out.

Agreed on all counts. For years NBC had a white guy, Fred Armisen, playing Senator-turned-President Obama on SNL. And while I know there were some people who were offended by Armisen's/SNL's use of blackface, certainly no one got fired over it.

But it was pretty clear Megyn was not going to be allowed to play out two more years as host of the 3rd hour of Today. The blackface comment was just the final straw.

Agreed on all counts. For years NBC had a white guy, Fred Armisen, playing Senator-turned-President Obama on SNL. And while I know there were some people who were offended by Armisen's/SNL's use of blackface, certainly no one got fired over it.

But it was pretty clear Megyn was not going to be allowed to play out two more years as host of the 3rd hour of Today. The blackface comment was just the final straw.

That's a little different. With the exception of lighter skin, Armisen bears a passing resemblance to Obama. He has dark hair, is fairly dark complected - and I believe, is part Latino. In fact, I just googled some pics of him playing Obama and I don't think they put any dark make-up on him.

Also - let's be real - SNL's writers are likely liberals, and were pretty gentle with Obama. Now if some right-wing TV host had an Obama sketch with a white person in black-face, it would probably be widely protested.

There's outrage that Luanne on one of Bravo's Real Housewives show dressed up as Diana Ross for Halloween. Apparently it's now offense to dress in a costume of someone of different race. If that's the case let's fire all the Caucasian DJs that work at Hip-Hop radio stations. Make my friend Nick burn his O'dell Beckham Jr. jersey. (Of course with the way the Giants have played the last two seasons, let's just burn all Giants jerseys). Should be noted that Bravo is owned by Comcast NBC Universal.

There's outrage that Luanne on one of Bravo's Real Housewives show dressed up as Diana Ross for Halloween. Apparently it's now offense to dress in a costume of someone of different race. If that's the case let's fire all the Caucasian DJs that work at Hip-Hop radio stations. Make my friend Nick burn his O'dell Beckham Jr. jersey.

Did Luanne wear a Diana Ross mask or smear charcoal or some other brown/black substance on her face? I don't see anything objectionable about a Caucasian wearing a mask depicting the face of a black entertainer unless the physical features are exaggerated in a stereotypical way (like the cartoon of Serena Williams that caused an uproar after her tantrum at the US Open, for example).

The example you give of your white friend with an Odell Beckham jersey is ridiculous. All the major pro sports but hockey have high-profile black players, and white fans are just as likely to wear apparel with their names on them as black fans are. Go to a Red Sox game and check out the Betts and Bradley and Big Papi jerseys on white fans. Celtics crowds are largely white, but that doesn't mean they've got to stick to Gordon Hayward gear, or throwback Larry Bird or Kevin McHale stuff. Nobody's going to complain if they show up in Kyrie Irving or Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett uniform tops. Get real.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom