• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBKS Stunting, Bender out

The stunt sounds pretty interesting. Music slowing down and speeding up, interrupting in the middle of it, incomplete tracks, excess auto-tune, reversing sometimes, studdering, sounding like it's playing in low bandwidth, etc... Still running ads though.

Wonder if that audio tomfoolery is automated, or if some poor board (bored) op has to fiddle with the files in real time?

Wonder if that audio tomfoolery is automated, or if some poor board (bored) op has to fiddle with the files in real time?

Like you need to guess at that?

I'm reminded of a story when iHeart/ClearChannel rebranded KZZP Phoenix as Kiss-FM and played Prince's Kiss non-stop. Nobody told the engineer, who heard it, thought that NexGen was having a meltdown, and drove like a bat out of hell back to the studio where he encountered a friend of mine on duty.

"Why are you out here talking and not in there fixing NexGen?"
"Um, Dave, we're doing this on purpose. See how the log says "Stunt 1, Stunt 2, Stunt 3? We're playing the spots and the legal on time."

Dave was a church-going man not known to swear, but being the last to know the station was stunting set forth a blue streak for the ages.

The billing discussions of a few pages back are quite interesting. That would seem to indicate that KZOK is well underperforming its ratings billing wise, and KQMV's billing is either way underperforming its ratings, or Kiss is overperforming in the billing department. I have a question for David, Big A, or really anyone who can answer it. If you had a crystal ball that could tell you what your ratings and billing would be in the future. Your current rating is a 2.8 6+, and your billing is around $8 million a year, right about where Kiss is at the moment. If you knew that your 6+ number would bump up to a 4.1 by changing format even when billing remains flat year over year, would you do it?

I have a question for David, Big A, or really anyone who can answer it. If you had a crystal ball that could tell you what your ratings and billing would be in the future. Your current rating is a 2.8 6+, and your billing is around $8 million a year, right about where Kiss is at the moment. If you knew that your 6+ number would bump up to a 4.1 by changing format even when billing remains flat year over year, would you do it?

Well, the first caveat is nobody makes these decisions based on 6+ numbers...

At the end of the day, revenue is all that matters. If I change the programming to raise the share but my billing remains flat, then there was no real reason to change the programming... unless the new programming costs substantially less and improves profitability. But if you can grow the audience in demos that you can sell, the ratings boost should increase your billing.

The other part of the equation is cluster strategy. If one station is eating away at the core of another, then nobody wins. Some stations will set up a "wall of men" or a "wall of women" with each aiming for a different age group. Others will aim for the same age group but focus one station on men and the other women. It all depends upon the market. The clusters that do the best are ones where everyone fights to be number one, but the formats are arranged where they can win by hurting competing groups and not themselves.

You want a stunt that gets reaction, they should've rebranded it to (p)iss 106.1 and aired nothing but 4 minute bits of Trump speeches along with R. Kelly songs.

The other part of the equation is cluster strategy. If one station is eating away at the core of another, then nobody wins.

And I have a sense that maybe there is something going on between KUBE and Kiss in that way. Once again, this gets back to the music more than radio. We've talked about how everything has a rhythmic feel to it, even country. That makes it hard for a rhythmic CHR station to distinguish itself from a straight CHR. So that may be part of what's happening here.

You want a stunt that gets reaction, they should've rebranded it to (p)iss 106.1 and aired nothing but 4 minute bits of Trump speeches along with R. Kelly songs.
They could stay CHR as Radio Now 106.1 or Now 106.1 or Hot 106.1 or as, Z106.1 Q106.1 or Channel 96.1 or go alternative, as, Alt 106.1 or as Radio 106.1

At the end of the day, revenue is all that matters. If I change the programming to raise the share but my billing remains flat, then there was no real reason to change the programming... unless the new programming costs substantially less and improves profitability. But if you can grow the audience in demos that you can sell, the ratings boost should increase your billing.

The other part of the equation is cluster strategy. If one station is eating away at the core of another, then nobody wins. Some stations will set up a "wall of men" or a "wall of women" with each aiming for a different age group. Others will aim for the same age group but focus one station on men and the other women. It all depends upon the market. The clusters that do the best are ones where everyone fights to be number one, but the formats are arranged where they can win by hurting competing groups and not themselves.

I understand your argument here, but at the same time, I don't see 106.1 staying CHR. Remember that this is a return to the format for the frequency, as it was Hot AC between the two segments of CHR, and the CHR was on 93.3 when 106.1 was Hot AC. The shares didn't move much during that experiment, so why try a third or possibly fourth depending on how you're counting attempt at CHR instead of something else?

And I have a sense that maybe there is something going on between KUBE and Kiss in that way. Once again, this gets back to the music more than radio. We've talked about how everything has a rhythmic feel to it, even country. That makes it hard for a rhythmic CHR station to distinguish itself from a straight CHR. So that may be part of what's happening here.

Here are the top five songs spun on KUBE in the past week:
YG/Sean/2 Chainz/Minaj "Big Bank"
Travis Scott "Sicko Mode"
Juice WRLD "Lucid Dreams"
Khalid "Love Lies"
Mane/Mars "Wake Up In The Sky"

And the top five on KISS:
Ariana Grande "God is a Woman"
Marsh/Bastille "Happier"
Khalid "Love Lies"
Maroon 5 "Girls Like You"
Post Malone "Better Now"

Nobody is confusing them.

They could stay CHR as Radio Now 106.1 or Now 106.1 or Hot 106.1 or as, Z106.1 Q106.1 or Channel 96.1 or go alternative, as, Alt 106.1 or as Radio 106.1

iHeart is not going to abandon the Kiss name.

So far, this 'stunt' has gotten 100% negative reaction on social media. All the web site pages have been wiped clean, only to be found on Internet Archive now. The KISS IS Dead splash front page redirectes to the national IHeart listen live page. According to the comments on both Facebook and Twitter, calls and texts to the station go unanswered.
Can you blame the audience? Do you think they're going to flood social media with, "hai guyz luv how ur screwin round with my fav music!!"

It seems like they are just burning off the stop sets and sending the audience away.
They have been working hard at that long before this stunting.

Here are the top five songs spun on KUBE in the past week:

Nobody is confusing them.

Maybe. They're both playing Love Lies in heavy. If you look beyond the Top 5, you see more duplication. Both stations are playing a lot of Post Malone. Both stations playing Lucid Dreams. Kiss doesn't play any Drake. Kube doesn't play any Ariana. So there are similarities and differences.

The station has been sinking in the ratings, is owned by a company notorious for cost cutting, does not have a local program director, just dismissed its morning show of 17 years, there is no news of the rest of the staff looking for new gigs and has a younger morning show that has been doing nights on the same station for the past few months.

Draw your own conclusion.

Maybe. They're both playing Love Lies in heavy. If you look beyond the Top 5, you see more duplication. Both stations are playing a lot of Post Malone. Both stations playing Lucid Dreams. Kiss doesn't play any Drake. Kube doesn't play any Ariana. So there are similarities and differences.

Have you ever listened to both stations in the past six months?

Yes or no.

You want to ask that of everyone in this thread? Or just me?

No, I asked the person who made the assertion those two stations sound the same despite evidence to the contrary.

Somehow, I already knew the answer to my question was “no”.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom