• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New KOOL HD-3

IIRC, fragmentation really started taking off in 1975 or thereabouts, when the decline of rock on Ancient Modulation was beginning to ramp up.

But once again, it would not have happened without the fragmentation of the music first. And that fragmentation continued to happen, even when some of the music was getting limited or no airplay.

But if it was in 1969, it probably was on the ARPANET (which was shut down in 1990). The general public wasn't allowed on the modern Internet until Al Gore "invented it," aka sponsored the bill that allowed the public to access it, in 1991. Streaming didn't exist until a couple of years later.

Back in the early days on ARPANET (and several private ones used by universities) the idea was to share technical and technology papers and/or perform remote programming using the mainframes as servers. We didn't stream as such (at least not officially). Those networks were also used as testing/development platforms for things like video conferencing.

Yeah there’s already enough stations playing 80’s music. I always thought KOOL should have an oldies station HD sub channel playing 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s oldies. Why have an 80’s centric HD sub channel when the primary station mostly plays 80’s music to begin with? Makes no sense.

I’m with you, I listen to Oldies 92.7 on 93.3 KDKB - HD 2. The sound quality, even for those old 60’s hits, is phenomenal. Hubbard does a great job with it. KOOL is NOT COOL anymore!

I agree. When I hear a station promoting "All 80s" I think Big f___ deal. Most of the stations on the dial are playing the same 80s stuff over & over.
92.7 hits a wide age range, I know many 20 to 60somethings that often have this station playing. A better variety.

I agree. When I hear a station promoting "All 80s" I think Big f___ deal. Most of the stations on the dial are playing the same 80s stuff over & over.
92.7 hits a wide age range, I know many 20 to 60somethings that often have this station playing. A better variety.

With an emphasis on 60-somethings...

I'm pushing 50. KOOL plays the songs of my youth. I am okay with this. If KEZ does an all 80s weekend, it's the songs of my youth. ROQ of the 80s? Hell, when I was growing up we'd go to LA and tape KROQ so when we were back home we had something to listen to that wasn't KUPD. So forgive me if I enjoy my own damn nostalgia on the radio.

When I was pushing 20 and there were 5 stations all doing AC formats and as you punched the dial it was either Motown or Michael Bolton everywhere, I once remarked to a colleague that I couldn't wait to finally hit the money demo so I could inflict my musical tastes on others. I won't age out of the money demo for a few more years, so I have a few more years of actually liking mainstream radio before I'm out of the window.

Amen to that! Ironically, I am actually one of those “younger adults” in the money demographic that likes 60’s music. I’m 33 years old and I have liked late 50’s - early 70’s oldies music since I was a kid. This is mainly because my parents, who grew up in the 50’s and 60’s, were always listening to Oldies music in the car when I was growing up. The station I grew up with was Oldies 104.3, WJMK-FM in Chicago (now long gone). I grew up listening to the Wild Italian, Dick Biondi, on WJMK, a DJ my parents grew up with on WLS and WCFL. Amazingly, Dick Biondi is now, at age 86, still spinning Oldies on the radio in Chicago. Good memories indeed!

So for me, even at age 33, my favorite music is from the 60’s. And trust me, there are many people my age that love music from the 60’s (specifically the Beatles) because of how much artists from that decade influenced the musicians of today. I think, at least for the next 25 years or so, there will always be a place for 1960’s oldies music on the radio (no matter what KOOL-FM may think).

I tried checking out KOOL HD 2 and 3 today and couldn't even pull them up. I even have them saved on my presets... are they off for some reason?

I tried checking out KOOL HD 2 and 3 today and couldn't even pull them up. I even have them saved on my presets... are they off for some reason?

All I can think of is that they are doing tower work on South Mountain for the TV repack, and KOOL’s backup transmitter does not have HD. They’ve been off during the day for five out of the past seven days.

You can also get your Oldies fix on 92.7 FM and/or 93.3 HD2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom