• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at HLN

This channel has been an afterthought for a long time. It really lost its direction when they added long form talk shows to what was originally CNN Headline News. So now the second string talk shows will be dropped:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...ows-in-drastic-overhaul-at-cnn-sister-network

The fact is that most cable channels could use facelifts, from USA to MTV to VH-1 to HLN. It doesn't matter who owns them, aa lot of these cable channels seem to be adrift.

This channel has been an afterthought for a long time. It really lost its direction when they added long form talk shows to what was originally CNN Headline News. So now the second string talk shows will be dropped:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...ows-in-drastic-overhaul-at-cnn-sister-network

The fact is that most cable channels could use facelifts, from USA to MTV to VH-1 to HLN. It doesn't matter who owns them, aa lot of these cable channels seem to be adrift.

USA, especially, had a nice little niche carved out for itself with popular original series minus the artistic ambitions of similar shows on pay channels. Now that Netflix and Hulu have joined HBO and Showtime in the made-for-TV drama arena, USA is an afterthought -- if people think about it at all. MTV and VH-1 have been without purpose longer, but even in their best years, they weren't doing the business USA was when it running "La Femme Nikita" and similar fare along with its WWF/E programming. It still carries WWE, but I can't name a single notable series currently airing on the network.

Now that Netflix and Hulu have joined HBO and Showtime in the made-for-TV drama arena, USA is an afterthought

Exactly. Lots of channels seem to be in the same boat. I haven't watched USA in years.

I bought an Amazon Fire a few months ago, and I'm really starting to think about making changes in my TV plan.

HLN has to deal with CBSN, Newsy, and ABC News Now taking over the old Headline News format though for American audiences. Also HLN has to deal with competitors like yes Co-owned CNN, MSNBC, Fox News for Pundits and yes International content today you have BBC News and Al-Jazeera doing the Old HLN format but with more outside the USA Content.

HLN has to deal with CBSN, Newsy, and ABC News Now taking over the old Headline News format though for American audiences. Also HLN has to deal with competitors like yes Co-owned CNN, MSNBC, Fox News for Pundits and yes International content today you have BBC News and Al-Jazeera doing the Old HLN format but with more outside the USA Content.

Don't forget Cheddar. I'm thinking about SlingTV. Get rid of all these useless channels.

A smart move likely indicating that some discipline is finally being imposed on CNN management. Carol Costello likely would've been secure for the duration as a morning anchor on CNN, but she wanted a daytime show. Robin Meade will have mornings on HLN until she doesn't want them anymore. Along with Erica Hill, she's one of the few worthwhile hosts employed by CNN.

I remember at one point HLN was trying to be CourtTV 2.0 though like a reboot of that once Courtv changed to TruTV became the reality TV Outlet for Warner Media a decade ago.

i think it is time to put a bullet in HLN and put it down and just give the slot to CNN International and air what they don't air on CNN US and have exclusive shows to that channel.

CNN doesn't offer a business channel. Not sure why, because there seems to be a lot of sponsorship opportunities for business.

CNN used to have a financial channel, CNNFN. It was shut down for financial reasons during the AOL-TimeWarner fiasco.

It was shut down for financial reasons during the AOL-TimeWarner fiasco.

That sort of says it all.

The thing to know is that HLN is available in 97 million households, making it one of the most-carried cable channels.

If HLN went all business, it would be available in more homes than CNBC or Fox Business Channel.

Something to consider.

Because giving viewers yet another reason to flee would somehow be a good idea?

They had a good product with Headline News and then mucked it up with talk shows. The wise thing would be to go back to the original format and retain Robin's daytime show. However, considering the incompetence that has managed CNN into an also ran for a format they invented, I doubt anything sensible like this will occur.

That's an excellent point. CNBC and Fox Business both appear to be doing quite well.

Both are very creative in the ways they involve sponsors in their content. There are things you can do with a business channel that you can't do with a news channel. Bloomberg has also discovered that.

The stupidity of what CNN has done to HLN is hard to fathom.
That used to be a go-to station to get a good half hour update on the news regardless of what day it was or what time of day it was.
When they ditched that format, they brought in some talk show hosts who got some viewers. They went all in on covering a trial or two and got viewers that way too.
But ultimately, that was not a sound business strategy. Those ratings were fleeting. They now find themselves at such a low point that the original format would be a better alternative to this mess.

The stupidity of what CNN has done to HLN is hard to fathom.
That used to be a go-to station to get a good half hour update on the news regardless of what day it was or what time of day it was.
When they ditched that format, they brought in some talk show hosts who got some viewers. They went all in on covering a trial or two and got viewers that way too.
But ultimately, that was not a sound business strategy. Those ratings were fleeting. They now find themselves at such a low point that the original format would be a better alternative to this mess.

The problem was that the "old" format was exactly that... mostly older demographics, and not very salable.

Their solution was even worse, but apparently there is no ad market for news-only.

I didn't get much out of the OP's link other than HLN will maintain "some" of their live personalities, but otherwise going "long-form", whatever that means. Repeats of other programming? New long-form programming? (I doubt it). I think this description of the new HLN is quite vague. Time will tell.

Don't forget Cheddar. I'm thinking about SlingTV. Get rid of all these useless channels.

I Heard of Cheddar being a CNBC, Bloomberg type outlet though but I don't know how big the audience is for now though.

How about HLN Rename themselves as the TMZ Network. I remember in the past few years HLN tried to be a hybrid of the old CourtTV and TMZ though and I thought somewhere down the line HLN might be flipped into the TMZ Network once Nancy Grace left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMZ

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom