• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

time approximate

In the 1970s, when I read TV Guide for overnight Friday/early Saturday and overnight Saturday/early Sunday, the very late movies on the over-the-air channels--the ones between 3:30 and 5 a.m.--always had "time approximate" as their starting times, as opposed to an actual time. Why was this?

The movies were almost always one of three things:
1. Italian gladiator/gods and goddesses movies, dubbed
2. Japanese monster movies, dubbed
3. American International movies, AKA Frankie and Annette movies

In the 1970s, when I read TV Guide for overnight Friday/early Saturday and overnight Saturday/early Sunday, the very late movies on the over-the-air channels--the ones between 3:30 and 5 a.m.--always had "time approximate" as their starting times, as opposed to an actual time. Why was this?

Being a night-owl in those days, I thought that perhaps the stations just didn't have their running times figured out. You have some old movie that runs - say 1 hour, 53 minutes, then you cram in 40 minutes of commercials. You would have to edit the film again to get it to fit into a tidy time slot, so it's probably easier to say "time approximate."

Many movie "shows" on broadcast TV in that era butchered films really badly, like the 6 O'Clock Movie (later 6:30 Movie) on the ABC O&Os like KABC in Los Angeles. The time slot was only 90 minutes, then you add commercials. In some cases, they would run films over 2 days to fit it all in, but mostly they would just butcher the film, forcing a 105 minute (or whatever) film into a 90 minute time slot. Once you add the commercials, they probably ended up cutting out half the film.

IIRC, TV Guide in print used five-minute intervals for listings. If a show was scheduled at some other time, I believe such a label would apply.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom