AT&T "New York Only" ad - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AT&T "New York Only" ad

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Connecticut is right next to NY. There are a lot of commuters there. If you said Iowa, I might understand.

I travel a lot and my laptop will sometimes retain memory of the IP address I was using from a previous location. So my homepage will give me weather from a place I was at a few days earlier.
    My location is nowhere near NY. I haven't been to Manhattan in several years and since I seldom listen to NY radio stations anymore I feel no closer to NY than, say, Boston. If I'm buying a phone I'm not driving to NY!

Every morning WLW's stream tries to sell me a Volkswagen from a dealer in Asheville NC (I live in Knoxville). Yes, theoretically I could drive 2 hours to buy a car, but I probably wouldn't.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wadio View Post
    No, I've heard the ad on stations in DC, Texas Tennessee, and California. I'm in Connecticut.
    Most of the ads on streams are not the local station's OTA ads. They are inserted by the company or division that sells the streaming ads.

A "New York" targeted ad may use the definition of the radio MSA (which has a bit of Connecticut) or the DMA or the OMB's MSA, and they will insert the ad in any stream being listened to in the target area, whether the station is from that area or from thousands of miles away.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wadio View Post
    The real question though is, why am I hearing NYC targeted ads? I don't live in NYC and I'm sure the advertiser is paying for NYC ears.
    In radio, "New York City" is not a market. The market includes portions of CT, NJ and New York, all the way out to Sag Harbor...
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I hear you, David. My point is that the targeting needs to be much more precise. The proof of that may be that advertisers aren't lining up to buy it. OTA ads are replaced mostly by PSAs or bumper music, not with inserted ads as with Pandora for example. I think this is an area radio needs to get ahead of in order to ultimately stay alive. Hopefully this is a start.

My guess is it's a geo coding error, or lack of geo coding whatsoever in the particular spot. I've heard this happen on my Live365 station at least once. I know Live365 partners with advertising server companies like AdWizz, etc. The out of my markey spot I kept hearing was for a pizza place named something like Gary's pizza. The end of the ad kept saying to visit their website to find a location near me. When I did that, there were no locations in my state. I guess I should have notified Live365 so they could check with their Ad providers.

R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12