WYLL 1160 had to air a Playoff baseball game due to another game on WMVP AM
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: WYLL 1160 had to air a Playoff baseball game due to another game on WMVP AM

  1. #1

    WYLL 1160 had to air a Playoff baseball game due to another game on WMVP AM

    WMVP had to air a Notre Dame Fighting Irish game due to their affiliation and they moved the NLCS to 1160. As of now the ESPN Radio coverage of the MLB is on both WYLL and WMVP because the Notre Dame game ended.

    It's kind of funny ESPN Chicago isn't affiliated with any major Chicago sports teams. Cubs and Bulls on WSCR, Bears on WBBM, White Sox on WGN, and Chicago Fire on WNKV.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles917 View Post

    It's kind of funny ESPN Chicago isn't affiliated with any major Chicago sports teams.
    Which may explain why they are the lowest rated sports station in Chicago. They're just a market clear for ESPN syndication.

  3. #3
    Radio stations can not air two games at the same time should they conflict, and such the case was this afternoon not that that I had paid that attention until I saw this, but as you know there was a MLB playoff game in the national league, and WMVP ESPn Radio 1000 is also the home of Notre Dame football and basketball. So stations have to buy air time form another station. They couldn't do WGN Radio because of WGN Radio was airing the Northwestern game, and I don't know how long the post game show aired until. WVMP was close to signing the Chicago White Sox, and they wind up signing with WGN Radio. And I also happen to notice that you forgot about the Chicago Blackhawks and they also have their games on WGN Radio. And have since the 2008-2009 season, I like to see how you will explain about forgetting about the Chicago Blackhawks as they are a Chicago team, and you happen to instead mention Chicago Fire and they don't even play their games in Chicago, but in Bridgeview that is a suburb of Chicago.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Which may explain why they are the lowest rated sports station in Chicago. They're just a market clear for ESPN syndication.

    They actually do air local Chicago sorts talks shows for they date time hours from 9 AM to 6 PM or at least maybe up to the evening hours, which you can look at their schedule at http://www.espn.com/chicago/radio/schedule . And I would think Waddle & Silvy will come after you as they are the afternoon drive team for the station. Once upon a time they used to air an hour of another ESPN show that is not on morning drive, like take for example they used to air the first hour of Colin Cowherd's old ESPN show until he left or fired from the station early, and starting to his show for FOX Sports radio.

  5. #5
    Chicago Fire is only on in Spanish. WLIT HD-2 (97.5 Poder)

    They usually go for the best signal possible during a conflict.

    In Milwaukee, Up until a few years ago, 1250, 920 or 1290 would be used for WTMJ Brewers, Packers or Bucks conflicts. These days they use their FM sister, WKTI.

    1000 is an ESPN O&O. Itís the last remaining ABC-Disney owned radio station in Chicago, one of about 4 or 5 nationally.

  6. #6
    cyberdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    5,022
    The fact that there's far more interest in Notre Dame football in the Chicago area than an early-round baseball playoff game involving two out of market teams may have had something to do with WMVP's decision to farm out the latter contest to WYLL.
    Owner of a radio receiver

  7. #7
    That explains why I was hearing baseball on 1160 in Allendale, MI on Saturday

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by staggmovie View Post
    Radio stations can not air two games at the same time should they conflict, and such the case was this afternoon not that that I had paid that attention until I saw this, but as you know there was a MLB playoff game in the national league, and WMVP ESPn Radio 1000 is also the home of Notre Dame football and basketball. So stations have to buy air time form another station. They couldn't do WGN Radio because of WGN Radio was airing the Northwestern game, and I don't know how long the post game show aired until. WVMP was close to signing the Chicago White Sox, and they wind up signing with WGN Radio. And I also happen to notice that you forgot about the Chicago Blackhawks and they also have their games on WGN Radio. And have since the 2008-2009 season, I like to see how you will explain about forgetting about the Chicago Blackhawks as they are a Chicago team, and you happen to instead mention Chicago Fire and they don't even play their games in Chicago, but in Bridgeview that is a suburb of Chicago.
    I would consider it a simple oversight myself ...

  9. #9
    One thing to bear in mind is national affiliation and market representation. ESPN national doesn't care about it's local station's deals. They sell national coverage and Chicago is their #3 market station that runs 50KW blowing signal eastwards at night. Anyone buying the network expects to get the markets represented. It's a decision made well above the market manager's pay grade.

    WCPT would at times take the overflow on weekends. But with them brokering a good part of the weekends these days, they can't pre-empt those clients. So WYLL was next in line.

    It's one reason why AM1000 doesn't have any local PBP rights deals at night. They would be often pre-empted by national. It's that simple.

    RR

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by schmave View Post
    I would consider it a simple oversight myself ...
    Okay I guess

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us