Auto Bleeping - does it exist?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Bleeping - does it exist?

Auto Bleeping - does it exist?

I'm listening to a live radio talk show yesterday when the host let fly the expletive, "f***ing."

He's an experienced broadcaster and I was listening on the Internet so I assume it was bleeped on air but I'm wondering who would have bleeped it given the sparse staffing these days? If the host himself hit the button he would have lost the entire sentence and would probably have re-stated it.

So now I'm wondering if software exists to identify and remove the seven deadly words and their variants. Voice recognition is extremely good these days so it seems this might be possible.

Anyone know?

I've never heard of any software like that. I would guess that, if there is a delay, he would be the one to hit the dump button.

Quote Originally Posted by wadio View Post
    I'm listening to a live radio talk show yesterday when the host let fly the expletive, "f***ing."

He's an experienced broadcaster and I was listening on the Internet so I assume it was bleeped on air but I'm wondering who would have bleeped it given the sparse staffing these days? If the host himself hit the button he would have lost the entire sentence and would probably have re-stated it.

So now I'm wondering if software exists to identify and remove the seven deadly words and their variants. Voice recognition is extremely good these days so it seems this might be possible.

Anyone know?
    No, there isn't anything like that. As you mentioned, it could be the broadcast side had a delay/dump system to protect the licensee side, but they just let the online stream fly. No regulations about profanity on the public Internet.

Either the host or the producer would do the dumping

With recent strides in voice-recognition, AI, etc. I'll bet the dump function could be automated. Someone should patent it.

Yeah why don't you get right on it. There would be a huge market for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Yeah why don't you get right on it. There would be a huge market for that.
    No sarcasm necessary, thanks. BTW, sometimes small market = big unit price.

Quote Originally Posted by wadio View Post
    No sarcasm necessary, thanks. BTW, sometimes small market = big unit price.
    And exactly the reason for sarcasm. For the sake of argument assume there are around 10,000 radio stations in the U.S. Of those stations, let's assume 10% might use a digital profanity delay system, so that's 1,000. Now let's assume that 60% are small market stations with equally small capital budgets. That means whoever that would be able to develop a REALLY good speech recognition system that translates every word, compares it with an internal database of words, processes what decision, then makes the call to cut bleep those words out? Existing profanity delays cost around $3,000.00. Assuming you could create the speech recognition software that can recognize random voices, associated word database and articifical intelligence to make decision to cut that audio? Yeah, I bet the price point would be probably more than the radio station value.

Enco actually did develop, and market a system back in the early 2000s.

https://www.wackbag.com/threads/auto...tations.12213/

I don't ever recall any station in my market actually purchasing one. I assume it didn't really work very well or was too expensive for the reasons Kelly gave above.

Further research shows there is a device you can buy for your TV. It is also called "The TV Guardian" and is available through Amazon for about $80. Google that for more info.

There are also more expensive units available.

If I had an extra dollar or two I'd try one out of curiosity...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast