Athletics on Bay Area Radio - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Athletics on Bay Area Radio

Tom Taylor's newsletter quotes a sports talk host at The Game as saying "We're in the audience business, they're not." A look at the ratings would say he's right. The Giants get better ratings on KNBR-AM than the A's got on an FM. The A's say they got bounced to the AM a lot in the spring because of basketball, but that didn't happen in the summer. Once basketball season ended, The Game's ratings dropped a full point, under a 2 share, for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Tom Taylor's newsletter quotes a sports talk host at The Game as saying "We're in the audience business, they're not." A look at the ratings would say he's right. The Giants get better ratings on KNBR-AM than the A's got on an FM.
    That despite the Giants being a dreary, punchless, sub-.500 baseball team practically from the start of the season while the A's hit a lot of homers, gave the Astros a good fight for the division title and made it into the wild-card game. Tough being the No. 2 team in the market. I have a feeling Mets/White Sox/Angels ratings never top Yankees/Cubs/Dodgers ratings no matter how successful a season they may be having.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    I have a feeling Mets/White Sox/Angels ratings never top Yankees/Cubs/Dodgers ratings no matter how successful a season they may be having.
    Interesting because both the Mets and White Sox recently changed radio stations in their markets, and you're right, they were underperforming the other teams. The Angels, as we've said, own their radio station, which is partly why I suggest that's what the A's should do. For many years, the Yankees owned their own cable TV channel (YES), which they programmed with non-stop Yankee content.

Interesting because both the Mets and White Sox recently changed radio stations in their markets, and you're right, they were underperforming the other teams. The Angels, as we've said, own their radio station, which is partly why I suggest that's what the A's should do. For many years, the Yankees owned their own cable TV channel (YES), which they programmed with non-stop Yankee content.
    The Cardinals tried that a few years ago with KTRS, but it couldn't be heard in Metro East, and after 4 years they threw in the towel and went back to KMOX, where they had been since the early 50s and can be heard EVERYWHERE at night.

The A's have been everywhere on the dial. One year they were on a low power college FM that one year when Harry Caray was withe the A's. Have the Giants been anywhere but KNBR?

Who knows...with all the recent changes at KGO, they may pop up there.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerCow View Post
    The A's have been everywhere on the dial. One year they were on a low power college FM that one year when Harry Caray was withe the A's. Have the Giants been anywhere but KNBR?
    I remember growing up in the 60's listening to Russ Hodges and Lon Simmons on KSFO. The Giants moved to KNBR in 1979 with Lindsey Nelson and Hank Greenwald sharing the play-by-play.

Who knows...with all the recent changes at KGO, they may pop up there.
    If the A's don't have some plan to enter the radio business this is what I would expect.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234