Athletics on Bay Area Radio
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Athletics on Bay Area Radio

Athletics on Bay Area Radio

I'm now wondering if 95.7 The Game will sign a long term deal with the Oakland Athletics or will they let them go and another station picking up the games? Any updates and rumors that you can share about this?

What about KYLD(WiLD 94-9) or 107-7 The Bone?
    WASSUP YA ALL!!!! IT'S THE WORLD'S MOST LOVEABLE AUTISTIC HAMMERIN' HANK.  I WORKED AT KYLD(WiLD 94.9) IN SAN FRANCISCO FOR OVER FOURTEEN YEARS UNTIL I WAS LET GO IN AUGUST 2008. I'M CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR MY NEXT RADIO JOB, BUT TIMES ARE TOUGH THESE DAYS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HenryOchs View Post

It's one thing to put football on a music station. Not that many games. But baseball is a commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    It's one thing to put football on a music station. Not that many games. But baseball is a commitment.
    I've heard baseball on music stations, but strictly small-market or suburban affiliates, not on flagships. The Red Sox are on AC WBOQ in Gloucester, Mass., and on alternative WWOD in Woodstock, Vt., for example -- both stations were playing oldies at the time they joined the Sox network and only recently flipped to something more contemporary.

WMMS is the only music station that I'm aware of that's a flagship station for an MLB team, although they do share the Indians as well as the Cavs with their sister station WTAM-AM. During their inaugural year in Washington DC, the Nationals flagship affiliate was Z104 which at the time was a modern AC station.

The Bone is the one station in the Cumulus cluster that's actually doing well. Why would they disrupt that with the A's?

And Wild is in a tight 3-way race with KMVQ and KMEL -- they'd be foolish to add baseball.

I recall that in the '90's, the Oakland A's were on KFRC, but that's when they had the 99.7/610 AM simulcast. The game would only run on 610 AM. My impression is that games can negatively impact ratings for music station in the long run because many listeners just want their favorite music format, and aren't interested in sports. I would think that KYLD running baseball would cause most listeners to default to 99.7 Now for music. (99.7...there's your "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon").

IIRC, The Bone used to run the Raiders in simulcast with KNBR...maybe still does, but as Big A pointed out - many less games than baseball. Also - The Bone's demographic would be WAY older than 94.9, so more likely to be football fans, I would think.

The Padres ran for a season or so on an alternative station in San Diego. It was not good for the numbers. Second thing Entercom did after closing on CBS in the market was blow up an expendable format to give the Padres a new home.

Now, the train wreck they created before the first pitch is a whole 'nother thread.

The Twins were also on an alternative FM station, but the team owned the station. Even they decided to sell the rights to the games to someone else after awhile because they realized the audiences were so different it did not help revenue.

Football games generally don't disrupt a station that much and they do better 25-54 than baseball.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

West coast baseball is especially hard to justify on an otherwise successful station.

With only two other AL teams on the west coast, the As will play around 60 games outside of the Pacific time zone. Meaning the flagship station will often have to switch to baseball well before 5pm. When the As travel to New York or Tampa Bay, the pregame show would start around 3:30. And every day game, regardless of location, will eat into the earlier hours of PM drive.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    The Padres ran for a season or so on an alternative station in San Diego. It was not good for the numbers. Second thing Entercom did after closing on CBS in the market was blow up an expendable format to give the Padres a new home.

Now, the train wreck they created before the first pitch is a whole 'nother thread.

The Twins were also on an alternative FM station, but the team owned the station. Even they decided to sell the rights to the games to someone else after awhile because they realized the audiences were so different it did not help revenue.

Football games generally don't disrupt a station that much and they do better 25-54 than baseball.
    CBS had WBCN as the flagship of the "WBCN Patriots Rock Radio Network" for years before making the team the main attraction on its new "Sports Hub" WBZ-FM. Here in western New England, the Pats air both on WTIC news/talk 1080 AM and Springfield's classic rock powerhouse WAQY 102.1 FM. A factor in football continuing to air on music stations -- at least here in the East -- is that most games are on weekends, and the Monday and Thursday games are all at night, safely separated from the important commuter and at-work audiences that might otherwise be tempted to find something else to listen to.

I'm now wondering if 95.7 The Game will sign a long term deal with the Oakland Athletics or will they let them go and another station picking up the games? Any updates and rumors that you can share about this?

You already know they're not moving to Wild. Largely female targeting station airing baseball in market #4? God no.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast