Atlanta Station Processing: Cumulus Vs iHeart

Thread: Atlanta Station Processing: Cumulus Vs iHeart

Atlanta Station Processing: Cumulus Vs iHeart

When I listen to Kicks, its processing sounds good. But when I move over to The Bull, the processing sounds bigger and more full bodied.

I don't care for Q100's processing; it sounds overly compressed and too bassy. But it sounds better than it did a couple of months ago. On the other hand, Power 96-1 has an excellent CHR sound with the right amount of bass.

Anyone else with an opinion on this?

Quote Originally Posted by RoddyFreeman View Post
    When I listen to Kicks, its processing sounds good. But when I move over to The Bull, the processing sounds bigger and more full bodied.

I don't care for Q100's processing; it sounds overly compressed and too bassy. But it sounds better than it did a couple of months ago. On the other hand, Power 96-1 has an excellent CHR sound with the right amount of bass.

Anyone else with an opinion on this?
    94.9 had processing issues back in the 90s when it was Peach. Not sure if this has anything to do with the station itself. I prefer Power 96-1 over Q100 but I think Q100 sounds slightly better. However, I prefer more bass. Iíve always felt that the slightly stronger signal Q puts out versus Power makes the stereo sound richer especially out in the burbs. Living in the burbs, when I do travel into Atlanta, the in town stations sound so much better than they do out in the burbs. Same with other cities I travel to. I believe thatís the FM stereo Hi-Fi effect. Correct me if Iím wrong.

Let's throw Cox into the conversation...
    97.1 The River, when good material is aired, sounds very open and clean. That sound reminds me of the old days when Bob Hellbush engineered the superb soundinging 96 Rock. (Bob now works for Cox...maybe they have let him tweak the processing)

Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    Let's throw Cox into the conversation...
    97.1 The River, when good material is aired, sounds very open and clean. That sound reminds me of the old days when Bob Hellbush engineered the superb soundinging 96 Rock. (Bob now works for Cox...maybe they have let him tweak the processing)
    I've always felt B98.5 had excellent processing for their format although definitely not CHR processing. I think Star 94-1's processing is excellent for Hot AC.

Quote Originally Posted by RoddyFreeman View Post
    I've always felt B98.5 had excellent processing for their format although definitely not CHR processing. I think Star 94-1's processing is excellent for Hot AC.
    Back in the day, 98.5 ran an Optimod 8100 with the XT chassis. Story was that Bob Neal would not allow any other processing on the station. That also used to be the processing Hellbush used at 96 Rock to achieve that great audio performance.
    In today's world of digital and IBOC HD radio I doubt the 8100 is still in the chain. WSB-FM is processed for high TSL and does sound good!