• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC Proposes Limiting Class A

The FCC wants to cut back signal protection for Class A AMs in an effort to improve local AM signals:

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...-am-interference-protection-changes-proposed/

Seems to me that unless they address the real interference issues, this will only hurt, not help.

There is a philosophical difference between the FCC and the reality outside the Beltway.

Reducing the protection on the big A's will just allow more inferior facilities on AM and minor improvements to some stations with protection requirements.

What is needed is fewer stations and the ability of those remaining to make significant improvements in coverage. And regulation allowing stations with good translators to lock those allocations (making them protected as a class) to shut off the mostly-dreadful AMs they rebroadcast.

Just roughly guessing, I think that between 20% and 25% of all AMs would be shut off if translators could run on stand alone status.

The whole AM band is based on bits of the 1927/1928 Federal Radio Commission regulations and the further redesign of the band by the FCC in 1933. That was 85 years ago, and "enhancements" like daytimers, greater power on the old Class IV "graveyarders" and ultra-and-bizarrely-directional stations have only made things worse.

So it sounds like it will be a battle between the haves and the have-nots. If you own a Class A, you don't like this. If you are required to protect a Class A, you probably like it (if you don't have a translator.) If you're a DXer, it's one more thing that makes your hobby difficult.

But from my perspective, it's another nail in the coffin. Combine this with the proposal to either eliminate caps or ownership limits, and you have no reason to own a Class A AM. The only reason the big companies still own AMs is because they have Class As. If this damages them, they might as well sell them while they can.

… ultra-and-bizarrely-directional stations have only made things worse.

Though it's not a Class A station, would you include WXYT among the "ultra-and-bizarrely" directional signals? How much was gained by the increase to 50 kW?

But from my perspective, it's another nail in the coffin. Combine this with the proposal to either eliminate caps or ownership limits, and you have no reason to own a Class A AM. The only reason the big companies still own AMs is because they have Class As. If this damages them, they might as well sell them while they can.

I think it only hastens the ineluctable demise of AM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom