• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

iHeartMedia Invests in $10 Million in High Times

Bongwater

Walk of Fame Participant
If there need be further evidence cannabis has gone mainstream in America, behold:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/iheartmedia-to-invest-up-to-10-million-in-high-times-2018-10-03

If Congress and Senate changes hands next month, we could see some BIG changes in the next few years, including full national cannabis legalization. And the lift of the federal ban on broadcast cannabis advertising. And I don't think radio is going to turn that money away. Because even if the advertising is limited to "Safe Harbor" hours, you'd still be up to here in national advertising from Big Cannabis enough for that shift to finally pull it's own weight.

I usually don't agree with iHeart on many things. But this is forward thinking.

I usually don't agree with iHeart on many things. But this is forward thinking.

Really? I think this is backward thinking. (But, given your screen name, maybe I shouldn't bother to make the point.)

What I see here is a radio company spending money on something other than radio.

Agree with Wimmmex. And besides, thinking that companies are investing on things like these because they are "progressive" and "open-minded" is too naive.
Companies like these only care about taking money from hipsters and the like.

You're both missing the point. The question isn't about image or investments. It's about potential future radio industry revenue. And would you consider it were it finally an option on your station, hypothetically speaking?

Really? I think this is backward thinking. (But, given your screen name, maybe I shouldn't bother to make the point.)

What I see here is a radio company spending money on something other than radio.

What is deep in the reports is that iHeart is acquiring shares in part with an exchange for advertising. In other words, trade time for equity. And they apparently have a deal for High Times content for podcasts, too,

iHeart is not a radio company. It is a content distribution company, and this deal trades radio time for a lock on content about a subject that apparently lots of Americans are interested in.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what they're buying a stake in is a magazine, not a dispensary. The dispensaries are the businesses that would buy the advertising. Not the magazine. The magazine is getting $5 million in free promotion. And remind me again: Who reads magazines?

Apples, oranges and perspective.

That is the industry's big problem... people not understanding that there are so many platforms that traditional radio can not continue to focus just on towers and transmitters.

If you ask listeners, nearly all consider "radio" to be pretty much any audio source that does not come with pictures. They say "radio" when referring to Pandora, to XM, to streams in general.

When I am troubled by a perspective issue, I defer to the listeners.

Just heard a spot for investment opratunity, in High Times publishing/magazine on an iHeart station. A good 15 seconds was disclaimer.

Even if it's legalized, is the FCC going to allow cannabis ads? They already ban (tobacco) cigarette ads...

Investing with drug pusheres! These people are WAY off the deep end!

Maybe the FCC needs to investigate.

Well...

Investing with drug pusheres! These people are WAY off the deep end!

Maybe the FCC needs to investigate.

Well...

In 10 states cannabis is legal. In another 20 it is legal by prescription. CBD is legal in all states, whether a cannabis or hemp extract.

The FCC is not going to step in with a "states rights" issue where support for controlled, licensed and taxed control is very popular.

The cannabis industry is a major source of taxes and employment, and there are those who argue that licensed dispensaries are much better than leaving it to the cartels and their associates.

High Times has become like "Beverage World" as a trade magazine for growers and the like. Many of the articles focus on growing, health benefits and the like.

Last edited:
Even if it's legalized, is the FCC going to allow cannabis ads? They already ban (tobacco) cigarette ads...

But they do not ban liquor advertising.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom