• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fresh FM Drives Away

Like I said, KKHH is an adult hits format. While similar, adult hits is different from classic hits.

Well maybe that's true, though the KKHH playlist looks very similar to WCBS-FM to me. What format do you consider them to be these days? Boston doesn't have adult hits either, so we have a hole for either one.

I wonder what DJs they are going to hire. Hopefully DJs who are known in DC from well known stations in the 80's. Like they do in New York on sisterstation CBS FM where old Z100 jocks work like Scott Shannon for example. CBS FM is a 'star quality' radiostation with 'celeb DJ's' so I hope this direction also for The Drive.

The one thing I'm going to remember about 94.7 Fresh FM is the Saturday night "Fresh After Hours" with DJ Chris Styles, who I first heard of during his days at Hot 99.5 until 2012.

Classic Hits is definitely the right move for 94.7.

Now, the question is - will it be programmed correctly? :)

As for 99.1 - I would LOVE to see a classic hip-hop format supplant Bloomberg Radio there some day. Doubt that will ever see the light of day, though.

Entercom finally killed off both Fresh branded stations CBS Radio created in the early 2000s. The first 102.7 Fresh FM NY and flipped to Hot AC with more throwbacks called NEW 102.7 and now 94.7 Fresh FM goes Classic Hits as 94.7 The Drive. Is Fresh 105.9 Chicago still around on 105.9 HD2 still?

Now, the question is - will it be programmed correctly? :)

The industry trades indicate that they are still completing research, so if that is indeed the case, it's likely we might see adjustments to the playlist and rotational patterns as they implement the findings.

Makes sense.

I noticed they are using the same voiceover artist as sister station WOMC in Detroit (David Kaye). The imaging on 94.7 has more of a classic rock vibe to it, though, whereas the imaging on WOMC has more of a classic CHR vibe.

I hear more sung jingles between the music. So I guess they still had to load it into the playout system perhaps yesterday.

From what I've heard in at least a half dozen US markets with a Classic Hits station and Jack-Mike-Lake-Spot-Drive-type Adult Hits station, there's a pronounced difference in formats. Jack stations tends to be more 80s-90s and even 00s based, while Classic Hits holds true to 70s-80s, occasionally touching the 90s. Jack-type stations offer a more broad range of artists, where for example, a Def Leppard hit from the 80s plays before or after an 80s or 90s pop hit. That said, Jack stations don't offer a deep playlist, while Classic Hits stations offer more consistent and deeper playlists. The DC format battle should be interesting given that DC is an Urban market. It's more than likely the Drive's playlist will reflect this with more Churban 80s hits (as previously mentioned in this thread) than some other 80s Jack-Drive stations in say Kansas City, Cleveland or Buffalo.

It's interesting that the battle between this frequency and Big 100 continues with this latest incarnation. Big 100 was once an oldies station that became a classic hits station that evolved into classic rock. It's evolution into classic rock is what moved WIAD (which was also in that format) to AC. So it will be interesting to see how much classic rock is played on The Drive, and how much audience sharing (or stealing) takes place. Because this station doesn't have the market heritage that the other Entercom classic hits stations have, they're free to make the format whatever they want it to be.

Tom Taylor's newsletter quotes the station's advertiser presentation as saying this station will use its local talent in an active way at events and appearances around town. So its clear that once the station gets past its introduction phase, it will be personality-based. And there are quite a few local personalities with heritage in this format. Could we see former WAVA star Don Geronimo in mornings?

From what I've heard in at least a half dozen US markets with a Classic Hits station and Jack-Mike-Lake-Spot-Drive-type Adult Hits station, there's a pronounced difference in formats. Jack stations tends to be more 80s-90s and even 00s based, while Classic Hits holds true to 70s-80s, occasionally touching the 90s. Jack-type stations offer a more broad range of artists, where for example, a Def Leppard hit from the 80s plays before or after an 80s or 90s pop hit. That said, Jack stations don't offer a deep playlist, while Classic Hits stations offer more consistent and deeper playlists. The DC format battle should be interesting given that DC is an Urban market. It's more than likely the Drive's playlist will reflect this with more Churban 80s hits (as previously mentioned in this thread) than some other 80s Jack-Drive stations in say Kansas City, Cleveland or Buffalo.

Interesting take, as Los Angeles' KRTH, which is Classic Hits, is more 80s heavy, with a sizable amount of 90s and less 70s. They even occasionally play Alternative tracks that are not high in the pop charts before. It perhaps is fitting for the market given the prominence of KROQ in the 80s, but it is kind of peculiar as Entercom already has 93.1 Jack FM, a station that is more Alternative heavy than other Jack FM stations.

Interesting take, as Los Angeles' KRTH, which is Classic Hits, is more 80s heavy, with a sizable amount of 90s and less 70s. They even occasionally play Alternative tracks that are not high in the pop charts before. It perhaps is fitting for the market given the prominence of KROQ in the 80s, but it is kind of peculiar as Entercom already has 93.1 Jack FM, a station that is more Alternative heavy than other Jack FM stations.

LA also has two sucessful Alternative stations, which is amazing considering how the format underperforms with one station in many markets, and doesn't show up at all in others. Clearly Southern CA loves its Alternative.

LA also has two sucessful Alternative stations, which is amazing considering how the format underperforms with one station in many markets, and doesn't show up at all in others. Clearly Southern CA loves its Alternative.

And with a high Hispanic population at that!

Also, Hot AC KBIG 104.3 My FM still likes to play alternative/indie pop tracks from time to time. Compare that to WPLJ and WRQX in New York and Washington DC, where they are becoming more rhythmic-friendly, playing a bit more mass-appeal R&B tracks and even some 90s teen pop faves.

With its active live music scene, I'd imagine LA alternative stations can tap into a deep vein of advertising -- concert advertising, clubs, etc.-- that stations in smaller, less music-intensive markets can't.

With its active live music scene, I'd imagine LA alternative stations can tap into a deep vein of advertising -- concert advertising, clubs, etc.-- that stations in smaller, less music-intensive markets can't.

There definitely is a lot more entertainment business in LA than most other markets. And it helps billing.

But the reason why alternative is so successful here is heritage... and KROQ. The "World Famous KROQ" created an audience for alternative that even influences CHR and gold based stations. And advertisers consider the format mainstream and to have a good return on investment.

Few markets had an advocate for alternative music as strong as KROQ. And that benefits both Alt stations today.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom