• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fresh FM Drives Away

Radio Radio Listener

Regular Participant
Entercom will soon flip 94.7 Fresh FM WIAD to a station called "The Drive." All but one of the presenters of Fresh FM are departing the station. This leaves WRQX "Mix 107.3" as the only Hot Adult Contemporary station in the Washington, DC area.

There have been speculations that WIAD will shift to a Classic Hits format, or maybe an adult hits format. Thoughts, anyone?

"The Drive" doesn't make much sense for DC, does it? I know in Chicago there's a Classic Rock station called The Drive, which I think refers to Lakeshore Drive, a fancy boulevard of apartment buildings along the Lake Michigan waterfront. But the new DC Drive will not be doing Classic Rock. WBIG already has that covered. So maybe it's Classic Hits, since CBS/Entercom have so many stations around the U.S. in this format, WCBS-FM NYC, KRTH LA, WOGL Philly, KLUV Dallas, WOMC Detroit, KOOL Phoenix, KXSN San Diego, all of them doing very well in the ratings.

Of course, owners sometimes shy away from Classic Hits since it skews older. However, if the ratings are good, then they are good across the board. Often WCBS-FM NYC is in the top 5 in 25-54, 18-49... even surprisingly top 10 18-34.

I still have to think, if CBS had only put its All-News format on this FM station, with great coverage of the entire D.C. metro area, it could have competed with WTOP. Instead, it went on 99.1, halfway between Washington & Baltimore, but not really covering either market adequately. All-News is expensive but if it had taken just some of the crazy money WTOP makes, it would have been a success.

"The Drive" doesn't make much sense for DC, does it?

Have you ever sat in traffic on 495? I have.

Also all of the streets around the Mall are "drives." Independence Drive, Jefferson Drive, Ohio Drive, etc.

Why would Entercom cancel the Tommy Show?! Tommy McFLY is a rockstar entertainer Whoever picks up the show will be very lucky to have them

Why would Entercom cancel the Tommy Show?! Tommy McFLY is a rockstar entertainer Whoever picks up the show will be very lucky to have them

Tom Taylor reports they're looking for a new role for Tommy. They agree he's a star.

"'Washington D.C. is the only major market without a Classic Hits radio station,' said Phil Zachary"

While it's true that DC is known to lack a Classic Hits station for a long time, doesn't Houston also lack a Classic Hits station?

It's now official...a five minute montage to welcome in DC's Greatest Hits (of All Time). 94.7 The Drive starts off with Prince's "Lets Go Crazy".

One thing to note is that almost all of the artists highlighted were male/groups. A classic rock-like V/O too. Doesn't sound like WCBS/WOGL, yet.

Yes and sung jinglepackage. Only a dry liner reader V/O.

Yeah. Very odd in my opinion...I was thinking the core artists would be Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, etc; not the Police, Tears for Fears, etc.

No jingles probably most surprising!

I still have to think, if CBS had only put its All-News format on this FM station, with great coverage of the entire D.C. metro area, it could have competed with WTOP. Instead, it went on 99.1, halfway between Washington & Baltimore, but not really covering either market adequately. All-News is expensive but if it had taken just some of the crazy money WTOP makes, it would have been a success.

One thing to note is that Baltimore's 92Q WERQ-FM has double the share of Bloomberg Radio WDCH-FM, as of Washington, DC radio ratings for September 2018.

It took a half an hour, but the first female artist is now playing with Madonna's "Holiday".

"'Washington D.C. is the only major market without a Classic Hits radio station,' said Phil Zachary"

While it's true that DC is known to lack a Classic Hits station for a long time, doesn't Houston also lack a Classic Hits station?

Houston has Entercom's 95.7 The Spot. Boston, however is a major market without classic hits, and oddly, it's where Phil Zachary used to work! All we have here is WROR, which only plays rock classic hits.

Houston has Entercom's 95.7 The Spot. Boston, however is a major market without classic hits, and oddly, it's where Phil Zachary used to work! All we have here is WROR, which only plays rock classic hits.

Like I said, KKHH is an adult hits format. While similar, adult hits is different from classic hits.

JINGLE! The TOH has a jingle. It was weird how it faded into Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Want to Have Fun", but this sounded better than the dry V/O.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom