• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTDY and WBEB

CassChopper96

Star Participant
Now that entercom owns both stations do you think WBEB will play less CHR top 40 (Ariana Grande,Shawn Mendez,,Taylor Swift) music and more things like Sugar Ray, Matchbox 20, Sophie B hawkins,No doubt, older Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, Christina Aguilera. And what do you think will happen to WTDY. Like 92.9 Tom fm in delaware

It’s kind of like WUSL and WISX both play pretty close to the same music and both are owned by iHeartRadio but they try to not make both stations compete with one each other

Last edited:
Now that entercom owns both stations do you think WBEB will play less CHR top 40 music and more things like Sugar Ray, Matchbox 20, Sophie B hawkins,No doubt, older Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, Christina Aguilera. And what do you think will happen to WTDY. Like 92.9 Tom fm in delaware

It’s kind of like WUSL and WISX both play pretty close to the same music and both are owned by iHeartRadio but they try to not make both stations compete with one each other

WBEB won't change, or if they do, it will be VERY little. No reason to change their winning formula. WBEB will play what tests well with their listeners.

WTDY will continue for the time being as a CHR. (They haven't been an AC targeting WBEB since March). Paired together, the two stations can be sold together as a package deal. IF Entercom thinks they can make more money with something else on 96.5, only then will they flip.

WUSL and WISX overlap slightly, but not as much as you think. Power 99 still heavily plays new music. WISX is targeting a slightly older demo with their throwbacks of what WUSL and WIOQ used to play. Again, WUSL and WISX can be sold together as a package deal to advertisers.

I guess the closest thing to an AC station in Philadelphia is WBEN

Can WMMR and WMGK be a package deal

I don’t any philly station is in danger for a format change in the near future

I guess the closest thing to an AC station in Philadelphia is WBEN

Can WMMR and WMGK be a package deal

I don’t any philly station is in danger for a format change in the near future

At this point, I'd honestly put WBEN in closest competition with WOGL. If they siphon some off of WBEB as well, then that's a bonus.

WMMR and WMGK can definitely be sold together (add in WPEN-FM too) and you have a wall of men, one that makes it difficult for WRFF to make much money.

I too see the status quo floating along for at least a little while. But of stations that are in "danger," WRFF seems to always be in danger because of their billing, but iHeart seems content with it. I don't know if WISX is billing any better as "Real" instead of "Mix"... and WTDY just seems to be... there.

WRFF seems to always be in danger because of their billing, but iHeart seems content with it.

Looking around the country, iHeart has alternative stations that actually do worse. For example in Detroit. But they seem to have a commitment to the format.

Having said that, one wonders what will happen after the company wraps up its bankruptcy proceedings.

Their previous management decided to take the company private, and it put them $20 billion in debt. They're trying to cut that in half now.

Exactly. They're actually cash flow positive, but all of it goes to paying the debt they owe. If/when they emerge from bankruptcy with considerably less debt, they'll be able to be a little more free with their money.

It looks like Entercom is sticking with WTDY as a CHRish station. They just promoted two weekenders, one into middays to replace Bex who left to join Kiss 108 in Boston. The other moves into the vacant night slot. Might not be in it for the LONG haul, but they're giving this incarnation of 96.5 a chance.

It looks like Entercom is sticking with WTDY as a CHRish station. They just promoted two weekenders, one into middays to replace Bex who left to join Kiss 108 in Boston. The other moves into the vacant night slot. Might not be in it for the LONG haul, but they're giving this incarnation of 96.5 a chance.

It's of note that they even want a jock on at night. It's somewhat impressive that a station that isn't exactly lighting the world on fire is adding staff instead of laying people off.

It's of note that they even want a jock on at night. It's somewhat impressive that a station that isn't exactly lighting the world on fire is adding staff instead of laying people off.

Since they're essentially in a CHR battle with Q102 now, it makes sense to battle a live, local, interactive show with a live, local, and interactive show. I'll never chide a company for spending more money on talent!

Since they're essentially in a CHR battle with Q102 now, it makes sense to battle a live, local, interactive show with a live, local, and interactive show. I'll never chide a company for spending more money on talent!

Agreed! Very refreshing to see a company understand the importance of (and invest in) talent. But...are they really in a CHR battle with Q102? They're typically a point(ish) apart in the pageant numbers and I don't think I've ever heard WTDY mentioned when discussing 18-34 results. I felt like Entercom steered them back toward CHR not because they wanted to (it obviously didn't work under CBS even with marketing) but because they have WBEB now. There's really no other format to try so making it something they can package with WBEB is the best option. (I wonder if WTDY will go a little more AC during the weeks when WBEB is doing all Christmas.)

Usually, flanker stations end up being treated like bastard step-children which is why I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that Big E is actually putting in an effort. I still hate that they couldn't come up with a better name than "TDY." It sounds like a symbol on the stock exchange!

They should just bring back Wired 96.5. That worked well. CBS ran it into the ground by switching to Amp radio
96.5 anyway needs to set itself apart from 101.1

YEAH. KISS FM also sounds different depending on where you live. In some places it’s a top-40 station in others its an AC station

I had the “opportunity” to listen to 96.5 for quite some time this weekend. They may share a smattering of songs with More FM, but the idea that they’re not very much distinct from their sister station isn’t accurate.

YEAH. KISS FM also sounds different depending on where you live. In some places it’s a top-40 station in others its an AC station

And in some places it is a classic rock station, and others it is an Urban station and still others an Urban AC. It is even a name for a Spanish language rock station, a Spanish language AC or two and several Spanish language CHR stations.

The original Kiss-FM is KISS in San Antonio, and dates back to the 70's as a progressive rock and AOR station.

And in some places it is a classic rock station, and others it is an Urban station and still others an Urban AC. It is even a name for a Spanish language rock station, a Spanish language AC or two and several Spanish language CHR stations.

The original Kiss-FM is KISS in San Antonio, and dates back to the 70's as a progressive rock and AOR station.

Are you sure about San Antonio being the first? Kiss here in Connecticut -- WKSS -- dates to 1971 and was originally a "beautiful music" station , one of only two formats WKSS has ever had, as it flipped to CHR in 1984 and has remained a CHR to this day. I wonder if there are any soft "Kiss-FMs" left in any market.

Are you sure about San Antonio being the first? Kiss here in Connecticut -- WKSS -- dates to 1971 and was originally a "beautiful music" station , one of only two formats WKSS has ever had, as it flipped to CHR in 1984 and has remained a CHR to this day. I wonder if there are any soft "Kiss-FMs" left in any market.

The KISS calls in San Antonio go back to the early 60's, but that was before the progressive rock format was put on.

(I went back as far as 1948 in the Broadcasting Yearbook and it was KISS even then although the FCC cards say it was not licensed until 1952, that seems to be due to issues involving construction that went on for about 4 years after it first built the CP and signed on.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom