• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOST-FM's Ellen K to have a podcast with Iheart

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n35970

Ellen K, morning host at iHM's KOST-FM/Los Angeles and syndicated weekend personality, has announced the launch of The Ellen K Podcast Network, a tell-all podcast network that shares behind the scenes stories from Ellen K's career and dives deeper into the stories of the day. The network will launch three new podcasts on iHeartRadio, giving listeners an idea of what really goes on at the Ellen K shows, as well as providing listeners and fans an opportunity to win prizes and participate in Q&A with Ellen herself.
"I'm so excited to invite listeners into our studio through The Ellen K Podcast Network," said Ellen K. "The opportunity to explore daily topics and everyday situations in a deeper way is thrilling to me. I use to get in trouble in school for talking too much during class, and thanks to iHeartRadio I can continue my passion for connecting with listeners after the morning radio show is off air."

Yes Ellen K is going to do podcasts in addition to her KOST-FM show.

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n35970

Yes Ellen K is going to do podcasts in addition to her KOST-FM show.

Don Barrett has an excellent observation about this at laradio.com today:

I was struck by iHeart’s announcement that KOST morning personality Ellen K will host a podcast where she will “share behind-the-scenes stories from her career and dive deeper into the stories of the day.” If we’re fans of Ellen’s morning show, why isn’t she sharing behind-the-scenes stories and diving deeper into the stories of the day during her show, while we’re invested in her program as we get ready for school or work and on the morning commute? Isn’t this what makes Valentine’s show soar at sister station MY/fm? He takes us behind-the-scenes with his life. When he was sharing his challenges with his son, it was appointment listening. Why make it tougher for the listener, requiring access to two different platforms to listen to Ellen? Makes no sense.

If we’re fans of Ellen’s morning show, why isn’t she sharing behind-the-scenes stories and diving deeper into the stories of the day during her show,

Three letters: P-P-M.

KOST is a music station, not a talk station. The fact is only a small portion of the audience really cares about Ellen. They want to hear music. Why bother the entire listening audience with details of Ellen's day? Those who want to know can subscribe to her podcast. Those who don't can continue to listen to music. iHeart will sell them differently, and if you subscribe, you will become part of Ellen's fan base. Something 60s DJs never had.

Why listen to different platforms? Because they're used for different things. This sounds like boomer talk to me. Millennials understand. Ask your kids.

KOST is a music station, not a talk station. The fact is only a small portion of the audience really cares about Ellen. They want to hear music. Why bother the entire listening audience with details of Ellen's day? Those who want to know can subscribe to her podcast. Those who don't can continue to listen to music. iHeart will sell them differently, and if you subscribe, you will become part of Ellen's fan base. Something 60s DJs never had.

Why listen to different platforms? Because they're used for different things. This sounds like boomer talk to me. Millennials understand. Ask your kids.

If that is the case, why have Ellen at all? Save her substantial salary and pay Silent Mike, who always works very cheaply. Either she brings listeners in, in which case it is silly to tell them to go to another platform to hear "the rest of the story" or she doesn't and maybe she should be on the podcast full-time.

If that is the case, why have Ellen at all?

Branding. Live sponsor reads. And she does a podcast. New revenue streams.

Once again, you assume what she's saying in her podcast is appropriate to her daypart on the radio. These are different things. The 60s are over.

However, since you insist: In 1967, WABC DJ Bob Lewis wanted to show another side of his personality that didn't fit with the tightly formatted ratings powerhouse. So he asked for and got a regular slot on WABC-FM, where he hosted "the other side of Bob Lewis," which featured a less commercial side to his presentation and music. No "Bob-o-lew" or jingles, and he played album rock. Nothing wrong with what she's doing, and there's precedent for it.

If that is the case, why have Ellen at all? Save her substantial salary and pay Silent Mike, who always works very cheaply. Either she brings listeners in, in which case it is silly to tell them to go to another platform to hear "the rest of the story" or she doesn't and maybe she should be on the podcast full-time.

Ellen is the glue that holds AM drive together on KOST, and her numbers show that the station performs well with her presence. In the books so far this year, she has beaten Ryan Seacrest in 7 of 9 books.

The podcast is for those who want to hear more, and also for those who want a talk segment rather than the KOST music.

KOST's Bay Area equivalent - KOIT - went through a period when they let the "announcers" (that's what they called them, not "DJ's") talk a bit. Their slogan in this period, and for decades was "Light Rock, Less Talk." Personally, I like listening to the the jocks, it's what makes radio radio..as opposed to a juke box. But even I remember thinking that they should either tell the announcers to cut the talk, or drop the positioner.

They finally did drop the slogan, but more because they've morphed into an AC format...currently, their DJ's don't talk much.

The other thing to point out is that a typical podcast is about 20 minutes of non-stop talk. No music.

Would you really like a 20 minute ramble in the middle of morning drive on a music station?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom