• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

September Ratings

David, do you know of any other markets where AC does well in the 18-34 demographic? I'm curious.

New York: WLTW is a very close #3 in 18-34, just about a half-point from #1.

Los Angeles: iHeart has a "wall of woment" with KIIS, KBIG and KOST. In 18-34, it's KIIS and KBIG #1 and #2, with KOST lower but in the top 10. In 25-54, it is KBIG #1, KIIS #3 and KOST #4. In this case, the strategy of each station is to overlap and completely cover 18 to 54 women. So you have to look at all three together.

Miami: two-way direct format battle. 18-34, WFEZ #3 and WLYF #6. Top 2 stations are Urban, other two in top 6 are Spanish language.

I think many AC programmers focus on the competitive array in the market and their cluster-mates as well. But generally, the core would be 30-49, with some leaning a tad younger and some a bit older depending on the market demos, and factors like competition, market ethnicity, etc.

WBEB in Philly is #1 18-34, not a fluke they've done it a few times outside of Santa season. The funny thing is that while WBEB is #1 18-34, they are only 5th 25-54! Even crazier, the #2 station 18-34 in Philly is classic rocker WMGK.

KKBQ is doing things right, for better or worse, as the station is consistently near the top of the ratings, well ahead of KILT-FM. Listeners appear to be content with things the way they are.

I do think calling themselves "New" after 26 years is dumb, but obviously the listeners don't care.

I have gripes with Cox sibling KGLK/KHPT which is stale and boring to the point of annoyance, with commercial breaks that seem to drag on forever. But again, their listeners are content with the way things are, as the ratings continue to show.
I think keeping the NEW in the station moniker has something to do with the old format and John Lander might not allow them to use 93Q just by itself.

The 93Q name and related logos were considered the intellectual property of John Lander and a trademark of Gannett. They were not included when the station was transferred in the early 90s. It had a variety of short lived names 93 Rocks, EZ Country 92.9, 93Q Country, and now the New 93Q for two decades. They can legally be anything they want except plain old 93Q.

Nice piece of folklore. It's just that when you work for a company, the things you create belong to the company and not to you. So Lander can't hold the intellectual property while Gannett holds a trademark. Either one party owned the name or the other.

A quick trademark search shows no live trademark for 93Q and two dead ones. Dees Entertainment filed for "93Q" and "93Q Los Angeles" in 2004 and abandoned the trademark in 2005. (That lines up with when Rick Dees was bounced out of KIIS-FM but before he started mornings at Movin 93.9, so there's probably an interesting story there.)

There's no record of either Lander or Gannett registering the trademark with the USPTO.

Besides the fact that slapping "the new" before or "country" after any registered mark would indeed count as infringement... Try introducing a beverage as "The New Pepsi" and let me know how it works out for you.

My understanding is the name persists because if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

KODA is played in a lot of Doctors Dentist office and other clinics from 8:30 till like 5pm that why it is number one. I hate the playlist they play a song from the 80s then the next song is only 5 to 7 years old they just need to stick to 80s 90s nothing newer than 2003 or 2004.

That's a really dated construct of AC radio.

There was a time when AC's mission was to save adult women's "sensitive ears" from hard rock or rap because they didn't like the music their kids listen to.

Today's adult women grew up going to Bon Jovi concerts and listened to rap themselves. While it's not as wide of a swath as a few years ago, there's a lot of songs on the pop chart that both younger and older women like.

Winning AC stations play songs that adult women like. The only real difference between CHR and AC is the amount of gold and how fast they add/drop songs.

Unless pop goes so extreme that you can't find good currents, there's no reason for an AC station to not play them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom