Some HD2's Show Up in Regional Ratings

Thread: Some HD2's Show Up in Regional Ratings

Some HD2's Show Up in Regional Ratings

The recent PPM 's have begun to show a few HD2 signals. Each is rated at .1.
    In the NYC ratings, WHTZ HD2 is listed. That is Nick Radio, a national CHR format, similar to Radio Disney.
    WKTU HD2 shows up in Nassau/Suffolk. That's another national format, Pride Radio, which mostly plays rhythmic music.
    In nearby NJ, the M/S/U book has WNYL HD2. That's a rebroadcast of the hot a/c, WNEW 102.7. Is it possible that in that part of NJ, WNYL HD2 has a more reliable signal than WNEW 102.7?

This is a change in policy by Neilsen this summer, and not a sudden increase in listening to HD2 services. As I understand it, they opted to round up stations which got higher than 0.0 but less than 0.1 shares.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    This is a change in policy by Neilsen this summer, and not a sudden increase in listening to HD2 services. As I understand it, they opted to round up stations which got higher than 0.0 but less than 0.1 shares.
    The change took place with the June book.

Any station of a subscribed group that gets any qualified listening (meaning credit for one person for one quarter hour).

So any qualified listening is enough to get a station a 0.1, no matter how little it is. This is a "thanks for participating" consolation prize; you had essentially no listening but you get to have your station listed at the very bottom of the rankers.

In other words, one meter, one person, one listening occasion gets you that "honorary" 0.1 share.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

If someone is listening to the stream of an HD2, it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    If someone is listening to the stream of an HD2, it counts.
    I don't think so. Nielsen insisted we have two encoders. One for over-the-air and one for stream. And we're in a small market. It has to be the same for large markets.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    In nearby NJ, the M/S/U book has WNYL HD2. That's a rebroadcast of the hot a/c, WNEW 102.7. Is it possible that in that part of NJ, WNYL HD2 has a more reliable signal than WNEW 102.7?
    I don't know why this would be. If something is a complete simulcast, (like an AM & FM station,) it shouldn't be listed twice. Usually it's just listed once. (The stream is different.)