Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: September 2018 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: September 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    That's the only thing I could come up with as well! I would be so uncomfortable working at a station like WTDY though. Job security is bad enough in this industry without knowing that my station is just a flanker.
    Perhaps a flanker is better than a wanker, in England at least.

Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    Perhaps a flanker is better than a wanker, in England at least.
    Touché!

I really never thought I'd see a day when WBEB was #4! (Of course, if you'd told me 20 years ago that KYW would one day rank #8, I'd have tried to have you institutionalized.) It's so odd that this started just as Jerry Lee let go. It'd be one thing if they dropped down the rankings just because another station saw a big increase. But in this instance, it went along with WBEB themself seeing a very significant drop. The station isn't gonna be "hurting" any time soon but 8.5 - 7.8 - 6.5 - 6.3 is a worrying trend for sure. Have there been any changes to the station's library or on-air presentation?
    Looking at the playlist... it looks like the currents/recurrents have been tightened up. They only have 22 songs that Mediabase considers Current/Recurrent in the playlist. (Down from 40 or so before). Looking at WBEB's Cume over the past few months... it's down slightly, but it hasn't been a drastic drop. So it seems like people are tuning in for shorter periods of time.

Any other stations look like they're in danger? WTDY of course always looks like a target. WBEN's numbers are meh, but it seems to plug along and make cash. WRFF hasn't pulled themselves back up into the 4+ range they usually are in. But like WIOQ's minor doldrums, I think I blame that on the lack of good new music to play recently. A trend that hopefully change. (And of note, I don't think WIOQ is in any danger right now.)

WISX is... there. I'm assuming it can be package sold with other cluster mates.

Urban One's small signals (WPPZ, WPHI) aren't lighting the world on fire. But they must make money (I believe DavidEduardo mentioned that one of those tiny signals makes more $$ than WRFF). And I don't see Urban One really making any changes on those sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    So it seems like people are tuning in for shorter periods of time.
    That may be affecting cume for a lot of stations.

Brief change of subject- WPEN is in trouble. I'm guessing they will keep doing lineup changes but that can only make such a change unless they can get a seriously talented host. It's hard to keep decent numbers during Eagles season, and since WIP has the Eagles games, WPEN can only do so much.

Now, format change? Unlikely for a little while longer unless they really start to tank- like 1.2 share or less. What else could they possibly put on there anyway? Actually, it would be interesting if Beasly tried their hands at country, seeing as how Beasly is a southern company, based in Florida I believe. Maybe a harder-edge country sound? I doubt it seriously.
    Host on Rowan Radio 89.7 WGLS-FM

Radio DX'er- using Grundig Sat. 750, Tecsun PL-880

Quote Originally Posted by radiodx10 View Post
    Brief change of subject- WPEN is in trouble. I'm guessing they will keep doing lineup changes but that can only make such a change unless they can get a seriously talented host. It's hard to keep decent numbers during Eagles season, and since WIP has the Eagles games, WPEN can only do so much.

Now, format change? Unlikely for a little while longer unless they really start to tank- like 1.2 share or less. What else could they possibly put on there anyway? Actually, it would be interesting if Beasly tried their hands at country, seeing as how Beasly is a southern company, based in Florida I believe. Maybe a harder-edge country sound? I doubt it seriously.
    Also, they have the broadcast rights to the Flyers and Sixers. But they do have many other male-targeting stations to shuffle those teams to if they ever decide to dump the Fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    Also, they have the broadcast rights to the Flyers and Sixers. But they do have many other male-targeting stations to shuffle those teams to if they ever decide to dump the Fanatic.
    Last I recall, WMMR is the Flyers overflow station. But a few times now and then vs. dumping the two (apologies in advance to fans) lesser of the big four full time becomes a tough calculus. But the overall point is intriguing. Missanelli aside, they seem to be struggling to find an identity, apart from WIP castoffs.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by radiodx10 View Post

Beasley, originally from North Carolina, is based in Naples, FL. "The South" ends somewhere around Gainsville.

Beasley already has a country station in Philadelphia, WXTU.

And keep in mind that the only numbers of importance to a sports station are the 18-54 male figures. 12+ is generally not informative in that evaluation.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 10-02-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

WPHT rising on a 1.5 - 1.6 - 1.7 - 2.2 - 2.5 - 2.8 trend! (Poke, poke, growl.)
    Please don't give a Red Bull to the troll.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Must be someone else. After all, a real fan would know she spelled her first name "Lesley," right?
    And even I knew that Ms. Page spelled her given name as "Patti" with an "i".

My puzzlement is over the inclusion of "Annette"? Funicello? A mediocre, to put it kindly, actress, and a bad joke of a singer? That Annette? Gee, why isn't Edd "Kookie" Byrnes in that illustrious grouping, too?
    OMG. You are about to spawn a "worst songs of the 60's / worst singers of the 60's" bifurcation of this thread!

All together now, "M-I-C...K-E-Y...."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123