Blaise Howard Appointed GSM of WBEB-FM/Philadelphia

Thread: Blaise Howard Appointed GSM of WBEB-FM/Philadelphia

Blaise Howard Appointed GSM of WBEB-FM/Philadelphia

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bi...line_id=n35963

According to Enrtercom this Management seat will come into effect October 1st.

Now that WBEB is Entercom's, say hello to their obsession with naming rights changes to the station (i.e. the Bally Total Fitness Studios, the Geico Morning Show with Jenn and Bill).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM2011 View Post
    Now that WBEB is Entercom's, say hello to their obsession with naming rights changes to the station (i.e. the Bally Total Fitness Studios, the Geico Morning Show with Jenn and Bill).
    Hardly unique to Entercom. And if it brings in the revenue, good for them.

Not unlike the Wells Fargo Arena, Citizens Bank Park, and Lincoln Financial Field.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM2011 View Post
    I actually do find this trend to be off-putting. Especially with news. I don't so much mind it on a music station but I was setting someone's pre-sets this weekend and KYW mentioned the "Tastykake Traffic Center" (or whatever it was). I found it very hard to take anything they said seriously after that.

The Tastykake traffic center just makes me hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    The Tastykake traffic center just makes me hungry.
    "Well, if I'm gonna get stuck in traffic, maybe I'll just turn into this 7-Eleven and get a Coconut Junior instead."

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    I actually do find this trend to be off-putting.

Stations are looking for alternatives to :30 spots. Naming rights are a way to get a sponsorship mention without interrupting the flow. You have to ask yourself which you prefer: more commercials or naming rights.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Stations are looking for alternatives to :30 spots. Naming rights are a way to get a sponsorship mention without interrupting the flow. You have to ask yourself which you prefer: more commercials or naming rights.
    I think naming rights are actually a really good sales idea and one that's useful in so many areas. I just wish a little more thought was put into where and when it's used. On a music station, it can be applied just about anywhere and I wouldn't care. Even on a talk station. (Do we have a talk station in Philly? J/K.) But with news, I would like to see a little more thought involved. It sounded silly and amateurish. It actually made me laugh. Maybe I'm out of touch. Maybe they wanted me to laugh.

On TV, there’s the option of sliding in graphics, like the Dunkin bar during some 6ABC traffic reports. So it goes. I’m thinking Tastykake is perhaps just such a Philly centric brand name that it can work where perhaps “Little Debbie” (or maybe “Ding Dongs”) wouldn’t work as well.

At the risk of invoking...you know...1210 does have a sponsor for their call in line, a hot tub company. Makes for some amusing juxtapositions.