How's Radio look in today's Audio World? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's Radio look in today's Audio World?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Could antitrust come into play in such an eventuality? Although if Sirius buying out XM and becoming the only company in the U.S. that can offer satellite radio isn't a monopoly, I don't know what is.
    SiriusXM is a government approved monopoly. There are no other satellite radio services. They are now buying Pandora. But SiriusXM is partly owned by Liberty Media, and Liberty had proposed buying a part of iHeart. So certainly as some point the government will get involved.

My point of mentioning this is, for the most part, the radio companies only own radio stations, except for iHeart and Entercom. Cumulus and Hubbard are involved to some degree in podcasting, but neither own their podcasting platforms. So IF the audio world is diversifying (and it is), and if only two companies are positioned for the new audio marketplace, where does that leave everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    SiriusXM is a government approved monopoly. There are no other satellite radio services. They are now buying Pandora. But SiriusXM is partly owned by Liberty Media, and Liberty had proposed buying a part of iHeart. So certainly as some point the government will get involved.

My point of mentioning this is, for the most part, the radio companies only own radio stations, except for iHeart and Entercom. Cumulus and Hubbard are involved to some degree in podcasting, but neither own their podcasting platforms. So IF the audio world is diversifying (and it is), and if only two companies are positioned for the new audio marketplace, where does that leave everyone else?
    Lawyering up and trying to fight the inevitable to the death?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Lawyering up and trying to fight the inevitable to the death?
    They'd be better investing that money on the future.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    No surprise. Gone are the days when people bought home stereos or even home theaters. That's really as much a statement on the change in the consumer electronics industry as it is for radio, since they're related. The only company doing any innovation in the audio receiver business is Amazon. Why did it take a mail order company to come up with such a device? Of course Google and Apple have their versions as well. But where are the Japanese? No wonder Sony is in so much trouble. Their TV business is dead, their computer business is dead, and their home electronics business is dead. The only thing they have is PlayStation. But as I've said many times, imagine if a radio company had come up with Alexa.

But yes, people can't listen to the radio if they don't own one, and the fact is that local talent isn't a good enough motivation to get people to seek out radio receivers somewhere (a bigger challenge since consumer electronics stores have almost disappeared.) If home receivers are going away, then radio companies better have a streaming plan. If not iHeartMedia, they better call TuneIn. Because the Amazon Echo may be replacing home stereos, but they only receive internet radio, not transmitter radio.
    Exactly. This is the new reality. And I sometimes doubt the radio industry is cognizant of the changes ahead. Or how close they actually are.
    To the person who stole my antidepressants; I hope you're happy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    Exactly. This is the new reality. And I sometimes doubt the radio industry is cognizant of the changes ahead. Or how close they actually are.
    I think "the industry" is, because "the industry" books a lot of futurists and technologists at their annual convention (which just took place last week).

However, I'm not sure the smaller radio companies or radio owners are taking this seriously. There are two groups of radio owners: Those who are prepared, and those who aren't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12