• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas in Philadelphia

Maybe Christmas/seasonal music is going the way of classical, in which there are still composers working in the genre, but the public only wants to hear (and radio only wants to play) music by composers who died before the mid-20th century -- in most cases, LONG before.

I'm not aware of any commercial classical radio stations. I think they're all NCE.

I'm not aware of any commercial classical radio stations. I think they're all NCE.

I believe that's now true, but irrelevant to the point I was trying to make, which was about popular and radio (regardless of status) preferences in classical music.

The three stations I listen to (WFCR, WSHU, WMNR) are all noncommercial and, while they all dig deeper into the classical catalog than commercial stations like WQXR (before it went noncomm) and WCRB (ditto, and it had a 250-work playlist in its days as "Classical's Greatest Hits.") used to, they are merely playing more Bach, more Mozart, more Mendelssohn, more Debussy, etc., not searching out contemporary or near-contemporary composers to introduce to their listeners.

Why? I'd imagine it's to avoid tune-out and make sure the donors who foot most of the station's costs are kept happy. And apparently, what makes them happy is hearing every one of Mozart's 41 symphonies every once in a while, not just the warhorses, although the warhorses certainly get played more frequently. That makes sense, seeing as how fans of the genre usually have favorite composers and enjoy their individual styles whether the specific piece is well known or not. Would listeners want to hear a completely new work by a totally unfamiliar living composer a few times a day? At least around here, they've never even had that opportunity.

Interesting. I think if someone like Bruno Mars put out a Christmas single this year, CHR and Urban would spin like any other Bruno Mars single as long as it tests well. Especially here in Philly because I have my doubts that More FM would even touch a record like that until someone else tests it out.

Note about music testing of currents: adding songs at the time of their release is a pure programming decision.

In the first weeks of play of a song, "testing" a song (assuming a station has weekly "callout" testing) will not yield any definitive results. Many believe that until a station has played a song 100 to 125 times, no testing can be relied on; for most stations that do test, that means somewhere approaching three weeks at typical "new" rotations.

In any case, it's unlikely that stations spend money on call-out during the approximately four weeks of Christmas programming, as any actionable results come too late in the season to make much difference.

Note about music testing of currents: adding songs at the time of their release is a pure programming decision.

In the first weeks of play of a song, "testing" a song (assuming a station has weekly "callout" testing) will not yield any definitive results. Many believe that until a station has played a song 100 to 125 times, no testing can be relied on; for most stations that do test, that means somewhere approaching three weeks at typical "new" rotations.

In any case, it's unlikely that stations spend money on call-out during the approximately four weeks of Christmas programming, as any actionable results come too late in the season to make much difference.

How would a programmer determine if a new Christmas song introduced that year should be brought back the following December if no testing is done on the Christmas music?

How would a programmer determine if a new Christmas song introduced that year should be brought back the following December if no testing is done on the Christmas music?

Mostly gut feel and monitors of how many other Christmas stations played the song throughout the season.

A very few stations test Christmas music with a small participant group during the season; that data is used for the next season's list.

What I am saying is that callout (which is often not done on the phone any more) is not a good methodology for testing new Christmas songs and they whole callout system is prone to miss-reads the nearer you get to December 25 because participants are either rushed, unfocused or not in the mood to do a music survey.

For us, we made that decision based on the popularity of the artist. In the country format, when Faith Hill released the Christmas song for the Grinch ("Where Are You Christmas") 20 years ago, country stations played it out of the box. It was a top star singing a song from a popular movie. It's still among the most played now. Radio stations played it often enough for it to chart in the airplay Top 30. Same with Taylor Swift ten years ago.

Would listeners want to hear a completely new work by a totally unfamiliar living composer a few times a day? At least around here, they've never even had that opportunity.

But then again, if they have such a curiosity, the music is readily available. It's not as though this is a new problem. Leonard Bernstein had to go pop, and host a TV show to get some of his compositions heard. As in the popular world, it's the job of the musicians and their team to get their music heard. My local symphony offers packages to members so we can hear new and experimental works. So there are ways to bring new music to the public if they're interested. Those last three words are important.

I don't know about MORE-FM, but I've noticed here in Hartford our all-Christmas Station Lite 100.5 WRCH has tightened their Christmas Music playlist over the last few years. Whenever they flip my Mom never changes the station. (During the non-Christmas season she switches back and forth throughout the day between Lite 100.5 and our local Oldies Station). Tightened playlist more repetitiveness. Less classics. It sucks. I can't even listen to Christmas Music until December 14th (my Mom's birthday) and even then I can only take it in small doses. And hour or two at a time. One year we had two all Christmas stations in Hartford Lite 100.5 and the now-defunct The Big D 102.9 FM. I personally liked The Big D's presentation of the format much better than the the presentation of the all Christmas format on Lite 100.5 WRCH. Problem was the ratings on 102.9 tanked when they did the all-Christmas music and it was lower than that of their normal Oldies/Classic Hits format.

Of course now Music Choice on DirecTV has Christmas Music year round. So there's that.

Music Choice starts the day after Halloween until January 5th, about two months, SiriusXM on line and Slacker have it all year round...
IMG_5790.jpgIMG_5791.jpg

We're about three-and-a-half days from when WBEB traditionally flips their HD2 to Christmas from '80s. I'm wondering (because I wonder about things like this) if there will be material differences in the overall Christmas-on-the-radio plans since the station is now being operated by Entercom and since WOGL obviously won't be bothering with Christmas this year.

October 2 and WBEB has not flipped the HD2. I guess maybe the new powers-that-be aren't exactly sticking to the old playbook!

I believe WCRI 95.9 Block Island, Rhode Island is a commercial classical station. Up until 2014 when they were sold to K-LOVE (as part of the sale of the FM) there was Beethoven 1290 in West Hartford, Connecticut, but they weren't 100% Classical as they carried play-by-play of multiple sports from both high Schools in West Hartford. 490 watts/day 11 watt/night.

Good question. This morning HOT 93.7 the hip-hop station in Hartford mentioned that R&B artist John Legend would be releasing a Christmas album. (on November 15th?) They mentioned some of the songs and they included several traditional song including Silver Bells.

I believe WCRI 95.9 Block Island, Rhode Island is a commercial classical station. Up until 2014 when they were sold to K-LOVE (as part of the sale of the FM) there was Beethoven 1290 in West Hartford, Connecticut, but they weren't 100% Classical as they carried play-by-play of multiple sports from both high Schools in West Hartford. 490 watts/day 11 watt/night.

WCRI is, indeed, commercial, owned by people involved with formerly commercial WCRB Boston. It also is not 100 percent classical, as it has a daily evening jazz program.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom