• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PLJ jingles

CurtisNEPA

Frequent Participant
I saw a posting on another board that WPLJ is now using jingles that were used to play during the Scott Shannon era. When I listened to them using the TuneIn player, I heard a cut that sang "95.5 PLJ and Ralphie...95-5 PLJ, but it was on an old 90's era package. With all the top rated stations using modernized jingle packages, I wonder why on earth are they using a twenty five year old package between songs that are currents???? Other major CHR stations don't play outdated jingles from 30 years ago! I must think this whole package should be used on CBS-FM instead! :eek:

This leads me to a question on why did they decide to dust off old jingles and imaging on a station whose somewhere in dead last in the ratings!!?? I believe that they wanted to embrace the Scott Shannon days in order to improve its ratings after being in the basement for years. And not only did they decide to use very outdated imaging, I've seen that they now have an old retro show that runs on Saturday nights focusing on the 80's and 90's(with the majority of the songs came from the former). Still, they run one 80's song per hour, I think.

No wonder why WPLJ is struggling for years, seems like the people behind the scenes don't know how to run this damn thing right.

I
This leads me to a question on why did they decide to dust off old jingles and imaging on a station whose somewhere in dead last in the ratings!!??

There are over 40 stations that "make" the NYC MSA book; WPLJ is around 17th to 18th on average. It is nowhere near dead last, but certainly is the lowest of fuller coverage FM signals.

You may be seeing the beginning of some changes from Dave LaBrozzi, who became Program Director in mid-May. Maybe the plan is to bring back the nostalgia and change up the music or maybe you are seeing a total re-work and this is being used to get the attention of listeners. If you have a top signal, you certainly need to have a top biller, so maybe it is time.

You may be seeing the beginning of some changes from Dave LaBrozzi, who became Program Director in mid-May. Maybe the plan is to bring back the nostalgia and change up the music or maybe you are seeing a total re-work and this is being used to get the attention of listeners. If you have a top signal, you certainly need to have a top biller, so maybe it is time.

Streaming the station... and it does sound... odd. The jingles definitely sound out of place. Plus I heard a liner saying "Playing 2K to Today" but before the stopset, they played "Like a Virgin" by Madonna.

It changes are happening, they're a bit sloppy...

Streaming the station... and it does sound... odd. The jingles definitely sound out of place. Plus I heard a liner saying "Playing 2K to Today" but before the stopset, they played "Like a Virgin" by Madonna.

It changes are happening, they're a bit sloppy...

I was listening on the B train just before noon, and I also heard "Like a Virgin".

And those jingles are good, but are out of place. Imagine that jingle then Cardi B...Their imaging is contradictory with older-leaning jingles but liners with the '2k to today' tagline. Those will likely change soon. All in an attempt to veer in a different direction than the all New 102.7?

I noticed these retro jingles a while back. They actually don't sound as out-of-place to me as I would have expected - perhaps they're being intentionally placed to not clash with anything. It's definitely an odd move but I kinda dig it... then again I'm a jingle geek. I agree that these would be a better fit for CBS-FM though (and better than what they're currently using, but that's another discussion).

I do find the change in the slogan to just "2K and today" odd, considering they're still playing a good amount of '90s and even some '80s. They used to say "Throwbacks, 2K, and today" under the old PD, which made more sense. Does their research indicate that their desired listeners like these songs, but don't want to admit they listen to music from the last century?

The old sung PLJ jingles from the 80's are back with the famous audio logo. It don't match with the currents hits, more for a station like CBS indeed. Maybe the going after CBS FM with older music and new music what fits the old music.

The old sung PLJ jingles from the 80's are back with the famous audio logo. It don't match with the currents hits, more for a station like CBS indeed. Maybe the going after CBS FM with older music and new music what fits the old music.

Is Scott Shannon now a consultant for 'PLJ even though he is not directly involved with it?

As far as for the jingles, I agree they sound WAY too outdated. Perhaps they should go for a new, and modern sounding custom package, but retain the famous audio logo because that is what I called their "station's anthem" that Scott Shannon has made during their pre-Cumulus/Citadel days. Or...maybe they decided to re-use some of the old cuts during the Shannon era rather than spend thousands of dollars on a new package possibly to save $$$ as their owner Cumulus is restructuring following their bankruptcy.

In any case, PLJ sucks nowadays especially with all the changes they are undergoing.

Is Scott Shannon now a consultant for 'PLJ even though he is not directly involved with it?

No way he could be consulting a station that competes with the company and station he works for.

WPLJ = Cumulus
WCBS-FM = Entercom.

As far as for the jingles, I agree they sound WAY too outdated. Perhaps they should go for a new, and modern sounding custom package, but retain the famous audio logo because that is what I called their "station's anthem" that Scott Shannon has made during their pre-Cumulus/Citadel days. Or...maybe they decided to re-use some of the old cuts during the Shannon era rather than spend thousands of dollars on a new package possibly to save $$$ as their owner Cumulus is restructuring following their bankruptcy.

In any case, PLJ sucks nowadays especially with all the changes they are undergoing.

Let me make sure that I understand, Curtis. PLJ is airing old clips of Shannon? I am guessing (totally) that what you may be hearing is Dave is transitioning PLJ into some alternate version of itself. Perhaps it is going back to it's sound and roots to clip the wings of CBS-FM and steal a point off of Lite. So, it's an odd approach at rolling the station into a current and listenable version of what people liked, when it was not in such pitiful shape, yet playing music for listeners in 2018. I am not sure what metric Dave is using, but he is capable and what you are hearing now will be far from what the finished product will be. What metric should PLJ obtain in your mind to not suck? What other NYC radio stations are winning your approval?

Note to self: make time to listen. I find this very interesting. Not trying to second guess what, if anything, is happening to the station since I have not heard a second of it in years.

You know what? Since PLJ is in the bottom of the ratings....😮😮😮😯😯😯 flip PLJ and make it a DANZ STAYSHUN! 🙂😁 or maybe have a hybrid of Pulse and the former Now/Amp and hire those DJs.

You know what? Since PLJ is in the bottom of the ratings....������������ flip PLJ and make it a DANZ STAYSHUN! ���� or maybe have a hybrid of Pulse and the former Now/Amp and hire those DJs.

This would only be a good idea if the objective was to have a contest to see if another Class B NYC station could achieve lower ratings and revenue than WBAI.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom