• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dunkin' Donuts to change name

H

Hot Hits

Dunkin' is dropping the donuts - from its name, anyway.

Doughnuts are still on the menu, but Dunkin' Donuts is renaming itself Dunkin' to reflect its increasing emphasis on coffee and other drinks, which make up 60 percent of its sales.

The 68-year-old chain has toyed with the idea for a while. In 2006, it released a new motto - "America runs on Dunkin' - that didn't mention doughnuts. Last fall, it tested the "Dunkin'" logo on a new store in Pasadena, California; it has put the name on a few other stores since then.

"Our new branding is a clear signal that there's something new at Dunkin'. It speaks to the breadth of our offerings," said David Hoffman, the CEO Dunkin' Brands, the chain's parent company, in a conference call with media.

The name change will officially take place in January, when it will start appearing on napkins, boxes and signs at new and remodeled U.S. stores. The change will gradually be adopted as franchisees update their stores. It will be phased in overseas over the next year, the company said. Dunkin' Donuts has 12,500 restaurants worldwide.

The new logo will still have Dunkin' Donuts' familiar rounded font and orange-and-pink color scheme, which the company has used since 1973. The Canton, Massachusetts-based company isn't saying how much the change will cost.

Dunkin' Donuts has always sold coffee, but hot breakfast sandwiches and specialty drinks like the fruity Coolatta and Cold Brew iced coffee have become increasingly important to the chain. In the second quarter of this year, the company noted that overall U.S. store traffic was down, but revenue was up thanks to sales of higher-margin iced coffee drinks and breakfast sandwiches.

Dunkin' says the name change is one of several things it's doing to stay relevant to younger customers. It's also simplifying its menu and adding dedicated mobile ordering lanes.

But changing the name of iconic brands can be a big mistake, says Laura Ries, an Atlanta-based marketing consultant.

Ries says "Dunkin'" eventually won't mean anything to younger customers who haven't grown up with the full name. Specific words are easier for people to remember and conjure emotional connections, she said. Having "Donuts" in the name is also easier for people in overseas markets who may not know what "Dunkin'" means.

Messing with iconic brands can also have consequences. In 2016, 15 years after replacing Kentucky Fried Chicken with KFC, the company had to issue a press release to combat an online rumor that it was forced to change its name because it doesn't serve real chicken.

And IHOP faced some backlash earlier this summer when it announced it was changing its name to IHOb to remind customers that it serves burgers as well as pancakes. That one was a publicity stunt, but it annoyed some customers.

Dunkin' Donuts' Chief Marketing Officer Tony Weisman said the company has done a lot of testing and doesn't expect any customer backlash from the decision.

"The reaction has been overwhelmingly positive," Weisman said. "It's just going to feel very familiar to people."

But Reis said even if doughnuts have fallen out of favor among a more health-conscious customer base, people already know Dunkin' Donuts as a place where they can just get coffee and enjoy the doughnuts' smell.

"There's nothing wrong with still having 'Donuts' in your name," she said. "Long term it was helping them, giving them a brand identity that was the opposite of Starbucks."
https://abc7.com/food/dunkin-donuts-to-change-its-name/4337449/

Anyone lately seen anyone else actually "dunkin" a donut? It not only means nothing to foreigners....it doesn't mean anything to anyone short of 60 years old in the USA either.

Anyone lately seen anyone else actually "dunkin" a donut? It not only means nothing to foreigners....it doesn't mean anything to anyone short of 60 years old in the USA either.

Yes of course, what?

"With over 3,100 stores in over 30 countries outside of the US, Dunkin' Donuts has been serving loyal customers around the world for over 60 years.

From Asia to Latin America and everywhere in between, you can count on us for delicious Coffee and Espresso, Cool Coolatta™ frozen beverages, delectable Donuts, Sandwiches and much more.

So wherever your travels take you, enjoy your favourite Dunkin' Donuts products served fast, fresh and with a friendly smile."

Aruba
Bahamas
Bulgaria
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Ecuador
Germany
Guatamala
Honduras
India
Indonesia
Japan (Okinawa)
Korea
Kuwait
Lebanon
Malaysia
New Zealand
Oman
Panama
Pakistan
Peru
Philippines
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Spain
Thailand
UAE
Vietnam

It's the concept of dunking doughnuts in coffee. With fewer people ordering doughnuts, there are few opportunities to dunk, and like Mr. Tuna, I don't recall seeing many folks doing it in recent years except older people. The other thing about dunking doughnuts is that it really only works with the basic plain variety. Dunk a frosted one with sprinkles and you add nothing to its flavor and wind up with pink and blue and orange bits floating in your coffee. Try it with a sausage, egg and cheese croissant and ... well ... I don't even want to think about it.

But maybe some of those other DD countries have dunkin' traditions of their own: beer in Germany, sake in Japan, vodka in Russia. tea in China?

Yes of course, what?

"With over 3,100 stores in over 30 countries outside of the US, Dunkin' Donuts has been serving loyal customers around the world for over 60 years.

From Asia to Latin America and everywhere in between, you can count on us for delicious Coffee and Espresso, Cool Coolatta™ frozen beverages, delectable Donuts, Sandwiches and much more.

So wherever your travels take you, enjoy your favourite Dunkin' Donuts products served fast, fresh and with a friendly smile."

Aruba
Bahamas
Bulgaria
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Ecuador
Germany
Guatamala
Honduras
India
Indonesia
Japan (Okinawa)
Korea
Kuwait
Lebanon
Malaysia
New Zealand
Oman
Panama
Pakistan
Peru
Philippines
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Spain
Thailand
UAE
Vietnam

I always enjoy the vast display of ignorance when "Puerto Rico" is listed as a "country".

I always enjoy the vast display of ignorance when "Puerto Rico" is listed as a "country".

I hear that there, the natives dunk their doughnuts in rum. ;)

Puerto Rico competes in the Olympics, Pan Am Games, World Basketball Championships and World Baseball Classic as a country. Not sure about the World Cup. If it has a "national" team, it's too weak to qualify. I can't remember ever seeing Puerto Rico in the CONCACAF region qualifying stages, so my assumption is that Puerto Rican players can play for the U.S.A.

Last edited:
Dunking doughnuts in your coffee used to be very common up through WWII when doughnuts were substantial and didn't tend to evaporate in thin air (cough, cough). Like CTListener said that practice died when doughnuts became donuts. I've traveled all over the world and never found any other culture to 'dunk' as once did America's.

As much as I don't like their products I also don't think it was too smart to change an iconic brand. Don't see where it gains them anything and might turn out to be confusing for their off-shore customers. I'm pretty sure their franchisees are not wild about the incurred costs. In any case it doesn't affect me. I don't hold their stock nor do I buy their products. My local grocery store bakery is much better at turning out exceptional pastries at lower prices.

Brand names are brand names. How many people actually know Maxwell House was once a hotel? No one. It doesn't matter. We had a similar discussion here when IHOP was changing its name. That lasted a month. It was a joke. No one cares. They're going to the Piggly Wiggly. What does that mean? Who cares. Papa John's wants to drop the apostrophe. Same thing. I don't care. It won't make me want to go there more or less.

I hear that there, the natives dunk their doughnuts in rum. ;)

Puerto Rico competes in the Olympics, Pan Am Games, World Basketball Championships and World Baseball Classic as a country. Not sure about the World Cup. If it has a "national" team, it's too weak to qualify. I can't remember ever seeing Puerto Rico in the CONCACAF region qualifying stages, so my assumption is that Puerto Rican players can play for the U.S.A.

Soccer is barely played anywhere in Puerto Rico (or the Spanish Speaking Greater Antilles). So any international soccer event is not going to be of any significance to Puerto Rico. While there is a local league, founded 10 years ago, participation is so sparse it suspended for several years, and apparently again suspended due to the hurricane and lack of interest; TV does not cover the games via reports or broadcasts.

Puerto Rico only qualifies for the Olympics and other such events because of the UN ruling that Puerto Rico is an "unjust" colony. Same criteria applies to Miss Universe, if anyone cares anymore; there have been 5 Puerto Rican winners since 1970.

But the simple fact that Puerto Rican's are born US citizens sort of makes that "separate country" argument look silly.

Soccer is barely played anywhere in Puerto Rico (or the Spanish Speaking Greater Antilles). So any international soccer event is not going to be of any significance to Puerto Rico. While there is a local league, founded 10 years ago, participation is so sparse it suspended for several years, and apparently again suspended due to the hurricane and lack of interest; TV does not cover the games via reports or broadcasts.

Puerto Rico only qualifies for the Olympics and other such events because of the UN ruling that Puerto Rico is an "unjust" colony. Same criteria applies to Miss Universe, if anyone cares anymore; there have been 5 Puerto Rican winners since 1970.

But the simple fact that Puerto Rican's are born US citizens sort of makes that "separate country" argument look silly.

Well I remember for decades theres been a debate if Puerto Rico should be the 51st state or a separate country but that topic always gets killed by something else. But Then again I understand Dunkin's change though
its all about going after Starbucks.

I guess the guy rollin in at 4:30am "time to make the donuts" is soon going to be out of work, lol.

When I was a kid, we had a few Mr. Donuts in the area. Liked those better from a franchise point of view. The donut lovers in this town prefer the long time local shops not the franchises.

Parts of New England have a small chain called Honey Dew Donuts, mostly in Massachusetts. I've never been to one though. I've only given Dunkin' Donuts business lately since I was given a $100 gift card.

When I was a kid we had a Dunkin Donuts location on a particular road near Pittsburgh City Limits.

Cops from the City of Pittsburgh, as well as seven nearby jurisdictions and one State Police barracks, could be found there pretty much any time they were open.

The joke was if you need the police, don't call 911, call Dunkin Donuts in Carnegie, because
that's where they all are anyhow.

Last edited:
When I was a kid we had a Dunkin Donuts location on a particular road near Pittsburgh City Limits.

Cops from the City of Pittsburgh, as well as seven nearby jurisdictions and one State Police barracks, could be found there pretty much any time they were open.

The joke was if you need the police, don't call 911, call Dunkin Donuts in Carnegie, because
that's where they all are anyhow.
What year was this because there was a song that talked about all the cops at the Donuts shops in Carnegie..."Walk like an Egyptian"

That song from The Bangles hit #1 at the tail end of 1986. It would become the #1 song of 1987.

Thank you I remember that clearly, it's yesterday I'm having problems with...

'If you want to find all the cops
They're hanging out in the donut shop
They sing and dance (oh whey oh)
Spin the clubs cruise down the block
All the Japanese with their yen
The party boys call the Kremlin
And the Chinese know (oh whey oh)
They walk the line like Egyptian
All the cops in the donut shop say
Ay oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh
Walk like an Egyptian
Walk like an Egyptian'

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom