Was there no TV crew at the 'Disco sucks' event?

Thread: Was there no TV crew at the 'Disco sucks' event?

Was there no TV crew at the 'Disco sucks' event?

I'm just watching a BBC TV series about the history of House music. They briefly mentioned the 'Disco sucks' burning of records at the Chicago stadium. They showed still images plus audio. Was the TV not there?

Disco Demolition aired live on WSNS Channel 44 in Chicago, after what was supposed to be Game 1 of a Tigers/White Sox doubleheader at Comiskey Park. The second game was forfeited due to field damage.
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

It's on Youtube. Search disco demolition night.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerCow View Post
    It's on Youtube. Search disco demolition night.
    Found it now.

I'm guessing the rights holders to the video wanted too much money, so the BBC just went ahead with audio and black and white photos. It was only a very small part of the documentary so I doubt they would have been willing to part with much cash for it.

Yes, thanks to those two schmucks they, more or less, cost me my job. Was working at a station that had a disco format [one of the stations I had the most fun at] and after that fiasco in Chicago the owner got frightened, and within two months had fired almost all of us and put some garbage urban/early hip-hop format on. No idea who sold him on that format. The DJs that were left didn't stick around too long, one quit after two days telling the owner "You got rid of disco/dance music and yet you want me to play THIS shit instead? F.U.!" and walked out the door. Don't know why they went with that format because the station signal went out over a pretty sizable, wealthy white suburban area and where the target audience was.....crappy signal, kept breaking up, sometimes lost completely. That format lasted just shy of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    They showed still images plus audio. Was the TV not there?
    Perhaps they didn't get the licensing to the video. Just because something appears on YouTube doesn't make it public domain.