• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bill Cosby, 81, is sentenced to three to 10 years in state prison for 2004 sex crimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hot Hits

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/25/bil...-in-state-prison-for-2004-sexual-assault.html

Bill Cosby has been sentenced to three to 10 years in state prison for drugging and molesting a woman at his suburban Philadelphia home.

Judge Steven O'Neill sentenced Cosby on Tuesday, five months after his conviction in the first celebrity trial of the #MeToo era.

Prosecutors were seeking a sentence of five to 10 years in prison. The defense asked for house arrest.

The 81-year-old comedian did not make a statement in court. Cosby sat back in his chair, his head on the headrest, as the sentence was read.

The entertainer once known as "America's Dad" was convicted in April of sexually assaulting Temple University athletics administrator Andrea Constand in 2004.

Constand is one of about 60 women who have accused Cosby of sexual misconduct.

I wish the media/publicists would stop attaching/mentioning brands to these people. For many of us, including myself, Cosby was never "America's Dad", nor was Michael Jackson "King of Pop", Areatha Franklin "Queen of Soul" nor the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team".

I wish the media/publicists would stop attaching/mentioning brands to these people. For many of us, including myself, Cosby was never "America's Dad", nor was Michael Jackson "King of Pop", Areatha Franklin "Queen of Soul" nor the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team".

I believe Jackson crowned himself the King of Pop. I'm surprised he wasn't ridiculed for it more than he was.

Count me among the Americans who never watched so much as a single episode of Cosby's show. I thought he was a terrific standup comic and storyteller, but never bought into him as an actor -- or singer, either, if you remember his goofy adaptation of "Uptight," "Little Ol' Man."

So who would YOU consider the Queen of Soul? Gladys Knight? Etta James? Diana Ross? Or is soul music just not your thing? Of all the honorifics the media and publicists have melded onto celebrities' very identities, I've always thought Aretha's was the most deserved.

Count me among the Americans who never watched so much as a single episode of Cosby's show. I thought he was a terrific standup comic and storyteller, but never bought into him as an actor -- or singer, either, if you remember his goofy adaptation of "Uptight," "Little Ol' Man."

When I returned to the States from Vietnam in the mid-60's Cosby was the rage among my college peers. I never thought he was that good as a comic. Watching a very few TV episodes of the Huxtables turned me off even further. Fortunately, I don't remember hearing him singing and can't imagine he had the voice for that.

So who would YOU consider the Queen of Soul? Gladys Knight? Etta James? Diana Ross? Or is soul music just not your thing? Of all the honorifics the media and publicists have melded onto celebrities' very identities, I've always thought Aretha's was the most deserved.

I have never been a fan of Soul music but I think Etta James' voice was the most pleasing of the three you mention. I cannot tolerate "howlers" and Aretha tended to be loud ala Whitney Houston.

"Kids Say the Darndest Things" is back on CBS. They are showing clips from Cosby's era with his theme song, but of course Cosby is missing.

Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughn.

Last edited:
Ella Fizgerald or Sarah Vaughn.
As Queen(s) of Soul? I've always thought of Fitzgerald (sp.) as a jazz singer, Vaughan (sp., again) jazz and pop. Was soul music even called that in the '40s and '50s, when both women's remarkable careers were at a peak? (I mean among African Americans, including the singers themselves, so don't bring up "race music.")

As Queen(s) of Soul? I've always thought of Fitzgerald (sp.) as a jazz singer, Vaughan (sp., again) jazz and pop. Was soul music even called that in the '40s and '50s, when both women's remarkable careers were at a peak? (I mean among African Americans, including the singers themselves, so don't bring up "race music.")
Top 40 is now called CHR. Names and terms change.

If they are not the greatest stars as well as pioneers of soul, I don't know who or what is.

I saw Fitzgerald at the University of Wisconsin in about 1962 and she filled the university basketball and event auditorium with tens of thousands of fans who were mostly college age students.

Oh, and on R&B WJMO in Cleveland where I started working in 1959, we played them.

Last edited:
Top 40 is now called CHR. Names and terms change.

If they are not the greatest stars as well as pioneers of soul, I don't know who or what is.

I saw Fitzgerald at the University of Wisconsin in about 1962 and she filled the university basketball and event auditorium with tens of thousands of fans who were mostly college age students.
My freshman year college roommate at Syracuse around 10 years later, who was black and from New York City, loved Sarah Vaughan, had a current album of hers he played constantly. It was just good music, as she'd always sung, slightly updated in overall sound from her days with the big bands, but hardly in the same style that Franklin, James Brown and Curtis Mayfield were singing.

Really, we have no disagreement on the talents of Vaughan or Fitzgerald. You suggested, specifically, that one of them might be more deserving of the "Queen of Soul" title than Franklin. My argument is that since neither has ever been known as a soul singer -- or even as a purely rhythm and blues singer -- then the title really ought to remain with Franklin.

I always thought Cosby's singing albums were meant to be a joke anyway.

From what I've read he still won't admit he did anything wrong (Who else does that sound like??? :unsure: :rolleyes:), and as long as he has that attitude he shouldn't be released.

Cosby's show introduced me to Joe Williams (Clair's father) who was a great singer.

The best singing Cliff ever did was "Night Time Is the Right Time" which was really lip-syncing Ray Charles. That was a great episode with the whole family dancing and pretending to sing.

He's an old man. He's not going to hurt anyone else.
Neither will the people who once worked in Auschwitz and other similar facilities back when they were actively operating..But when they find those people, they do their best to arrest and convict them, regardless how elderly they may now be. Mob figures who killed when they were younger are jailed when they're seemingly too old to be a real threat, and people are rounded up and convicted for criminal acts they committed sometimes decades earlier. "I'm old now, I can't possibly hurt anyone else" is not a viable defense for any of these people.

Last edited:
Neither will the people who once worked in Auschwitz and other similar facilities back when they were actively operating..But when they find those people, they do their best to arrest and convict them, regardless how elderly they may now be. Mob figures who killed when they were younger are jailed when they're seemingly too old to be a real threat, and people are rounded up and convicted for criminal acts they committed sometimes decades earlier. "I'm old now, I can't possibly hurt anyone else" is not a viable defense for any of these people.
Agreed. The passage of time doesn’t excuse the wrong done, nor should it protect the wrongdoer(s) from being held accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom