iHeart worries were overblown? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: iHeart worries were overblown?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    When people had a choice between music on AM or music on FM, they chose FM. Same is inevitable for news & talk.
    Why did WTKK fail then?
    I'm not a broadcast radio industry professional (PG/DB by day, HA by night), but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one evening. Now working FT8 on 20/40/80m!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    Why did WTKK fail then?
    What were their ratings in their last year?

Personally I think Beasley gave up on it knowing they were going to skew younger for the ad dollars.

Jay Severin was always in trouble, McPhee... everyone has their own opinion on her, Graham.... ehhhh.

Jim and Marjorie were a much better fit for NPR, and that is just about where they ended up

Imus?

There are only so many angry old white men out there and at the time WRKO owned that demographic.

If they had gotten Howie Carr.... we might be having a different conversation right now.

I really think it was management that killed it more than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    Why did WTKK fail then?
    My view is they ran out of things to say. As this kind of talk got older, angrier, and more political, the audience for it shrank, especially in Boston.

There are a few conservative political FMs now, including WMAL-FM in Washington DC. But its audience is mostly over 50. As someone said earlier, just taking AM programming and putting it on FM won't be enough to fix the problem.

Had WTKK focused on entertaining instead of politics, things might have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Howard Stern continued to play music for a year when he started at K-Rock. He only stopped playing music in 1987 when he was confident he could fill the time with talk, and the music was getting in the way. His show was the lone talk show on music formatted stations aiming at younger audiences.
    Don Imus had to reinvent himself on 66 when music on WNBC gave way to sports talk on WFAN.
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Don Imus had to reinvent himself on 66 when music on WNBC gave way to sports talk on WFAN.
    Yep, and I expect we will see some popular morning hosts on music stations make this same conversion as they get older and start to seek more time for "personal expression." A time comes when you no longer fit your own format. Scott Shannon made that adjustment.

Personally I think Beasley gave up on it knowing they were going to skew younger for the ad dollars.
    You mean Greater Media at the time.

I stand corrected

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567