Is it just Dallas or is iHeart reviving old brandings and formats on HD-2's?

Thread: Is it just Dallas or is iHeart reviving old brandings and formats on HD-2's?

Is it just Dallas or is iHeart reviving old brandings and formats on HD-2's?

Dallas (DFW) has already had the KDGE and KDMX HD-2's flip to their former brandings. KDGE HD-2 i believe was Rock Workout then flipped to its old 102.1 the Edge branding.

Recently KDMX's HD-2 flipped to its former branding, which has not been used in a lot of years, "Mix 102.9" replacing the 24/7 "Delilah" channel that had been on there since 2014.

Is iHeart doing this across the country or is it just Dallas?

Quote Originally Posted by 97chris View Post
    Dallas (DFW) has already had the KDGE and KDMX HD-2's flip to their former brandings. KDGE HD-2 i believe was Rock Workout then flipped to its old 102.1 the Edge branding.

Recently KDMX's HD-2 flipped to its former branding, which has not been used in a lot of years, "Mix 102.9" replacing the 24/7 "Delilah" channel that had been on there since 2014.

Is iHeart doing this across the country or is it just Dallas?
    Not specifically iHeart, but companies can use their HD2 to cover old branding so no one else jumps on it if they make a change. WBEB in Philly does this. They were B101 for years... re-imaged to 101.1 More FM. But now the HD2 is "B101-HD2- The 80's Channel"

Keeps a competitor from launching a competing "B" and trying to pull listeners with the old name.

We also have Entercom (96.5-HD2) and iHeart (104.5 HD2) both using the "Alt" branding on their HD2s, with neither station really playing Alt... they just want to claim the branding so neither can really use it on a main channel.

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    Not specifically iHeart, but companies can use their HD2 to cover old branding so no one else jumps on it if they make a change. WBEB in Philly does this. They were B101 for years... re-imaged to 101.1 More FM. But now the HD2 is "B101-HD2- The 80's Channel"

Keeps a competitor from launching a competing "B" and trying to pull listeners with the old name.

We also have Entercom (96.5-HD2) and iHeart (104.5 HD2) both using the "Alt" branding on their HD2s, with neither station really playing Alt... they just want to claim the branding so neither can really use it on a main channel.
    KDGE didn't change their HD-2 to their old branding and format until about a year or two after the main HD-1/analog changed formats and branding.

KDMX has not had the branding "Mix 102.9" for a long time (maybe 5-6 years?).

I have no idea why iHeart wants to revive old brandings and formats in the Dallas area.

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post

KDGE didn't change their HD-2 to their old branding and format until about a year or two after the main HD-1/analog changed formats and branding.

I have no idea why iHeart wants to revive old brandings and formats in the Dallas area.

Quote Originally Posted by 97chris View Post

this is most likely a decision by the person who is in charge of the programming of KDGE and KDMX, which i think is Jay Shannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Will_H_69_9 View Post
    this is most likely a decision by the person who is in charge of the programming of KDGE and KDMX, which i think is Jay Shannon.
    I still don't get why he would want to revive old channels on HD-2's since not alot of people use HD Radio. Also why even bring back 'Mix 102.9' if the main channel has the same format?