KBLE has an FM translator - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: KBLE has an FM translator

  1. #21
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,439
    Quote Originally Posted by AQH View Post
    Rimshot signals in Orlando, FL and Riverside, CA okay to discuss in Seattle forum.

    Seattle radio personalities who pass away, not so much.
    Bossbill already gave a local example of a rimshot. I simply added two very easy to document examples of what a “rimshot” really is. The stations are both in adjacent-to-a-big-metro counties, and both of the Home Counties have large populations but the stations choose to serve, imperfectly, a bigger nearby market next door. Those are a pair of perfect examples, and long-running ones too.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 09-28-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Goi View Post
    Come on rim shots and **** (moderator note: vulgarity/profanity removed) is that what we are down to now. About some Canuk station that doesn't even count in the market or ratings wise... really? Maybe we could talk about ratings, programming, promotions, sales, that has to do with Seattle. Sorry but small non players, out of market stations and posts from no talent wannabe has been jocks / PDs/ GMs and GSMs aren't cutting it for me.

    Better yet how about discussing the top stations, what makes them successful,

    What are the best promotions that have worked,

    What day parts are leading the market,

    What sales pieces have generated success locally,

    How long until Marc Kaye is finally done destroying that Hubbard cluster? How many pairs of shorts does he own? Does he like his new Lexus SUV?

    Will KEXP go off the air again and why is it run like a high school station?

    What happened to FITZ? He was supposed to be the end all be all and Gods gift to radio and media....

    Is Erik Powers the only reason HOT is doing what it is?

    How long until 98.9 FLIPS again this time the format will be....

    How many more selfies can Shellie Hart post on social?

    When will Bender get inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame?

    Why do Ron and Don sound like they have a mouth full of marbles when they talk?

    Is KZOK or KISW Seattle's true ROCK station?

    Will KUBE ever make a comeback?

    When do Kent and Allen hang it up?

    There that should be enough to get things going... ENJOY!
    And you can't contribute anything worthy yourself? Troll off somewhere else, the actual professionals are talking here.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    Remember David, the Puget Sound acts as a natural amplifier. The closer you are to the sound, the better the BC signal is. It may miss the 60dbu throughout the Seattle metro, but it's like a local in places above 400 or 500 feet, and along the sound. Almost every Victoria signal is crystal clear in downtown Edmonds where Seattle is multipathed by hills. The same goes with Mukilteo, the Everett waterfront, Richmond Beach, you name it.
    Huh, what? For VHF/FM broadcast band, a body of water doesn't act as an amplifier. The reason you might be able to hear some stations better than others is better line of sight to their TX site from somewhere , not because water, let alone the Puget Sound, has anything to do with it.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Woodinville, WA sorta
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Huh, what? For VHF/FM broadcast band, a body of water doesn't act as an amplifier. The reason you might be able to hear some stations better than others is better line of sight to their TX site from somewhere , not because water, let alone the Puget Sound, has anything to do with it.
    Puget Sound? Well...it IS flat. So at least nothing is getting in the way. Truth be told, it does seem to amplify the BC signals because the topography in the various west facing "bowls" tends to block out a lot of local signal, letting more distant ones come through. Had a weird deal the other day in the Edmonds bowl, where I could hear the Olympia 101.1 translator in the clear, but then my car radio decoded and locked on the HD signal from CFMI Vancouver. Both were "clear", but I could listen to one or the other if I switched HD on or off.

    I still don't get why a low powered translator that broadcasts spoken word would be in stereo. In mono the effective listening radius would have to be considerably larger, due to less multipath etc.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Huh, what? For VHF/FM broadcast band, a body of water doesn't act as an amplifier. The reason you might be able to hear some stations better than others is better line of sight to their TX site from somewhere , not because water, let alone the Puget Sound, has anything to do with it.
    Crainbebo is really into FM reception, I'm sure he knows that he was speaking in relative terms.
    Otherwise, your point is well taken.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    Crainbebo is really into FM reception, I'm sure he knows that he was speaking in relative terms.
    Otherwise, your point is well taken.
    He's a DXer. Trust me; I've dealt with many of them over the years, telling me how radio works.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    He's a DXer. Trust me; I've dealt with many of them over the years, telling me how radio works.
    You set 'em right, Kelly. Marconi ain't got nothin' on you.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    6,040
    FM does do some surprising things that are unique to Puget Sound. Before KDDS came on, CFOX could be heard regularly in Olympia. Even with 100kW and simple line-of-sight, that's pretty impressive. The areas closest to the water do bring in signals that should otherwise not even be there in every other technical scenario (some Bellingham LPFMs can even be heard in parts of the San Juans. Likewise, I've heard KLOI-LP on Chuckanut Drive.)

    Whether it's Puget Sound itself or an unintended by-product of transmitter locations, anywhere along the shores of Puget Sound can reveal lots of surprises.
    To the person who stole my antidepressants; I hope you're happy now.

  9. #29
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    He's a DXer. Trust me; I've dealt with many of them over the years, telling me how radio works.
    My worst experience came from a member of that clan who threatened to file with the FCC because "we" (meaning our CE and myself) decided to shut off AM stereo on KTNQ back around 1996. Our decision was due to a variety of issues, principally "flanging" in our deep nulls, which were remedied by turning off the stereo.

    The individual said the blame was with our engineers and the directional system design (done by no less than Ron Rackley and Bob duTriel) and that not "fixing it" was not serving our listeners. The DXer was east of the Mississippi and KTNQ is in LA.

    I don't blame all DXers; I started being interested in radio as a DXer who visited radio stations. But knowledge of how a station operates is not a fundamental requirement of the hobby, and that often leads to some "extreme" statements (like a body of water acting as an amplifier).
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    You set 'em right, Kelly. Marconi ain't got nothin' on you.
    Scurry along back to work Rob. I think Dave is calling you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us