• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Social Media Exec Order

TheBigA

Walk of Fame Participant
Fox News today reported that the White House is circulating a draft Executive Order to police the social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. In listening to the terms of the draft, they seem to be focusing on anti-competitive behavior, perhaps using the Justice or Commerce Departments to enforce any monopoly practices. It really sounds to me like it goes completely against the Republican approach to net neutrality. They're saying these platforms have grown too big (and they're including Amazon in the order, even though it isn't a social media platform).

They want to use the power of the federal government to reign in these internet companies, many of which are now among the most profitable businesses in the country. It sounds very much like a typical liberal Democrat approach to regulation, stifling big business rather than promoting it. The reason is not that the companies are profitable, but that they perceive some kind of political bias. Still, they set themselves up for this by defeating net neutrality, and giving unlimited power to ISPs. It sounds like it will be a hard rule to enforce, because they target Google, while don't mention Yahoo or Microsoft. Microsoft offers a search engine that competes against Google, and so far, it hasn't been targeted for political bias.

They're also trying to focus on anti-competitive behavior rather than content bias in an attempt to skirt first amendment issues. Still it will place traditional Republicans in a difficult place, because they are usually the party of big business.

As long as a user can choose what they follow, I don't know what the government can do other than force-feed political content to everybody, even if they'd rather just look at sunset pictures. Facebook and Google do control most of the online revenue, but there are other options; both search engines and social networks. The fact that more people choose Google than Duck Duck Go isn't something the government can, or should, fix.

How much is this Executive order is really to Hype up other outlets like

Gab, Minds, Real.Video, BitChute, Oath, IAC, duckduckgo, friendica and others. I know some of these companies have been mentioned in the Alex Jones Boycotts.

I don't think this Executive order is going to be enforced though unless congress decides to debate this.

As long as a user can choose what they follow, I don't know what the government can do other than force-feed political content to everybody

As I said, they're staying away from content controls because of the first amendment. They just seem to want to punish companies financially for being successful.

I don't think this Executive order is going to be enforced though unless congress decides to debate this.

The reason they're considering the Exec Order is they know it wouldn't pass Congress. Like most of the other EOs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom