• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

104.7 nyc

What if someone put a Breeze format on this signal? It is massively limited, but say it got like a 1.5 and cracked the top 13 women 25-54....this is New York, could you not bank some nice coin with that?

What if someone put a Breeze format on this signal? It is massively limited, but say it got like a 1.5 and cracked the top 13 women 25-54....this is New York, could you not bank some nice coin with that?

A 1.5 in women 25-54 would rank you somewhere around 20th in the market.

At best, this signal covers only about 15% of the MSA with a 65 dbu signal. And the areas covered are a swatch between Bayonne and Kings. That is not where you would find a high incidence of soft AC listeners.

The very low power makes building penetration difficult everywhere, and keep in mind that in-car listening in NYC is the lowest in the US... so you have to get into workplaces and homes.

All great points indeed, I guess what I'm saying is that New York is huge so even with just a fraction of the potential audience available, there could be some decent money to be made. About 10-15 years ago they had dance music on 87.7, a frequency that most radios don't even get, and that thing at one point almost cumed a million people.

All great points indeed, I guess what I'm saying is that New York is huge so even with just a fraction of the potential audience available, there could be some decent money to be made. About 10-15 years ago they had dance music on 87.7, a frequency that most radios don't even get, and that thing at one point almost cumed a million people.

The question about Pulse is whether it made money. All reports show that it did not.

There is not much agency money for a low ranked station. And then the question is whether there is enough local direct business in the coverage area to support a station.

I noticed 104.7 from NYC is now causing far less interference to WRNJ's translator than before. So likely they reduced power and/or changed their antenna pattern, at least temporarily.

93.1 WPAT-FM-HD2, which was formerly the source of 104.7's programming, is still transmitting dead air.

It might not be a bad idea to combine 87.7 with 104.7 as a simulcast. 87.7 covers well to the north and east and 104.7 covers well to the south and west.

People seem to be obsessing over this station because of where its transmitter is. I understand that, but if the audience in its very limited primary coverage area is already being served by in-market full-power stations in all the current money-making formats, why can't Spanish Religious, or some other form of ethnic or dollar-a-holler radio, wind up being the permanent format on 104.7? Especially if the potential audience for other possible formats is too old (soft AC, oldies) or too small (dance, AAA) for enough money to be made through advertising,

Last edited:
People seem to be obsessing over this station because of where its transmitter is. I understand that, but if the audience in its very limited primary coverage area is already being served by in-market full-power stations in all the current money-making formats, why can't Spanish Religious, or some other form of ethnic or dollar-a-holler radio, wind up being the permanent format on 104.7? Especially if the potential audience for other possible formats is too old (soft AC, oldies) or too small (dance, AAA) for enough money to be made through advertising,

It *will* be some sort of leased ethnic programming. There are some posters here who have fantasies about particular formats. Those fantasies seem to ignore the economic reality of the radio business.

Radio Vision Cristiana is heavily promoting their new 104.7 FM signal today, especially to listeners in Brooklyn.

... Just as they *should* with an FM presence now versus less than ideal AM. Traveling through Middlesex County to the North and West towards Somerset, I wouldn't necessarily say that the NYC 104.7 is *weaker* I would venture to say that WRNJ seems stronger which is odd because they are hitting the same general areas in Somerset and Hunterdon on 105.7... maybe they didn't like the fact that the FCC is closed and not tending to their interference issue and rendered their own solution...

104.7 from NYC was definitely weaker when they first switched to RadioVision Cristiana. I could barely hear them in some areas where the WRNJ translator's signal is blocked by the Watchung Mountains. But now they're back up to about the same strength as they were when they were playing the repeating loop of music. For example, 104.7 from NYC is booming into Bernardsville, NJ, despite the signal coverage maps showing that the WRNJ translator should be dominant in that area.

W284AQ_FX_LU.gif

W284BW_FX_LU.gif

The maps are quite frankly irrelevant as they hardly take into account terrain and topography and any such reference is merely a "guide" or speculative. Anyone with any degree of radio engineering experience would be sure to agree. With such unseasonable temperature fluctuations in this mild winter (which seems to be heading on out by weeks end) experiences can vary day by day. Plus one would need to take into consideration another stations feed (audio from 1330AM) and how it is being processed and modulated. Music will always differ in modulation from talk programming which is what the real comparison here is. I previously heard WRNJ on 104.7 in Fords which is a great distance away from their home base which really boggles my mind and if we're using your map illustration then that kind of speaks for itself. I think we all know that translators are authorized based on the premise to accept interference so realistically I don't really see what will be accomplished for either side except for money spent all around on engineering, lawyers, filings and such.

With each of these stations appearing to be firm on standing their ground and not yielding any results from their filed complaints short of a "tit for tat" filing, anything is possible. Furthermore if anyone is to alter their power in any way without permission or just cause to do so without is in direct violation and again with the FCC essentially closed, no one should be doing anything of the sort, either party for either station. If you have ample time (which you seem to based on your close tabs on the latest developments here, including enduring Spanish programming to hear that they are promoting the 104.7 broadcast *heavily*) perhaps you could call WRNJ and see if you could be of any assistance to them by way of "ears on the street" research. They might really appreciate that and your interest.

Great discourse!

The broadcast with NYC oriented songs has moved to WXNY HD4. It seems odd that this is continuing, since the translator on 104.7 FM is reportedly carrying WWRV AM instead.

How would this work? At least back when I still lived in NYC, WSPK/Poughkeepsie (K104) came in pretty well in much of upper-Manhattan, The Bronx and Queens.
At times, even Brooklyn. Looks like this would cause some signal wars with both stations.

Not sure what K104's signal was back in the day. But it was def pretty clear. In fact it was quite some time ago now that i think about it. It was my only choice for pure Top 40 back when Z100 went off the rails with alternative rock! Lol (And just before the new KTU came along)

Last edited:
WRNJ is def over powered. could catch them over the weekend in Freehold. they have never come in that far. taking advantge of the shutdown?

WRNJ is def over powered. could catch them over the weekend in Freehold. they have never come in that far. taking advantge of the shutdown?
It's all due to terrain. The site of WRNJ's translator on 104.7 is 1079 feet above sea level, plus another 217 feet for the tower it's on, versus around 120 feet above sea level for Freehold. So if there's a direct line of sight, from Freehold's perspective it's like the WRNJ translator is on a 1176-foot tower.

Likewise from some vantage points in northwest NJ, the Jersey Shore stations come in like locals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom