• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

104.7 nyc

But how many full power AM//FM 24/7/365 Rock/Alternative/Country, English language signals are there in Mexico and going south into Central and South America, Jamaica and Puerto Rico, not many at all. I would bet there are tons more Spanish signals in the USA, then English signals in those areas, just sayin'.

Jamaica is an English-speaking nation. But the musical genres you mention are of little interest to its citizens.

But how many full power AM//FM 24/7/365 Rock/Alternative/Country, English language signals are there in Mexico and going south into Central and South America, Jamaica and Puerto Rico, not many at all. I would bet there are tons more Spanish signals in the USA, then English signals in those areas, just sayin'.

Gee, at one point... as an example... Lima, Perú (a bigger market than Philadelphia) had 17 of 21 FMs playing English language AC, CHR and Rock. But no station had announcing in English because the native English speakers in the market are likely only a few thousand in a market of 12 million.

In Puerto Rico, USA, where a large portion of the population is bilingual or at least knows some English, there are now only two English language stations, and they are both religious. Back in the 70's, there were as many as 5 all English stations, but one by one they changed format due to lack of ad support and listeners. At one point, PR had lots of "continentals" who were mainlanders who only spoke English and who were a good market. But as that group shrank, the stations could not survive.

Mexico City and Guadalajara had English language stations in the past, aimed at either expat business people in Mexico City or retirees in Guadalajara. The expat community in Mexico City declined, and the staiton, XEVIP, changed format. In Guadalajara, stations could not make money in English, so they stopped. Of course, there are a bunch of Mexican stations along the US border in English, and they are permitted by the Mexican government.

Mexico has dozens of stations that are not in Spanish... they are in the Pre-Columbian native American languages spoken by about 10% of the population.

Arrgentina used to have radio in Italian, since about 40% of the surnames in Buenos Aires are Italian. But as the Italian heritage community moved into its third and fourth generation, Italian speakers declined and that programming went away.

Bolivia, Ecuador, Perú all have radio in Quechua (Kichua) or, in Bolivia, Aymara. Thhey have those stations because there is an audience group that speaks those languages.

For more than 70 years, Ecuador had HCJB, a station that broadcast in something like 25 different languages on about a dozen frequencies and bands.

None of the countries you mention have a big enough native English speaking community to support a radio station. In some cases, there are stations in other languages than Spanish because there is a community that will support that kind of programming.

And as mentioned, Jamaica is an English speaking country... but they have their own preferred music forms and they don't include rock, alternative or country.

I'm surprised that usually culturally savvy David Eduardo believes that country music is not popular in Jamaica. I heard plenty on Jamaican radio, as well as on local pirate radio stations. Their preference is for classic country.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2011/09/01/140120452/reggae-loves-country-a-50-year-romance

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/05/reggae-country-feature

It's definitely a minority interest.

There have been attempts at country in the US Virgin Islands, too. None has ever made any money.

I should have listened to that video before I posted it.
It is terrible; Charley sounds ill, and who is that other guy?
Here is the version that I remember.

I haven't been to the NYC area for a year, but I recall couple years ago that WSPK from Poughkeepsie was heard in Jersey City with a much decent signal, and once I was on the bridge overlooking MetLife stadium, it was very loud and clear(I can even hear it on my old portable radio!).

Now years later as more translators are popping up all over the dial, I wonder if WSPK can still be heard in certain parts of North Jersey despite the new 104.7 translator broadcasting from the new WTC...

I should have listened to that video before I posted it.
It is terrible; Charley sounds ill, and who is that other guy?
Here is the version that I remember.

The other guy is Neal McCoy, who recorded a few mediocre line-dance fodder hits in the mid-'90s as the new traditionalist renaissance was being swallowed up by dance-floor dumbing down. The most memorable thing about him was his Filipino descent. Maybe that's what inspired the pairing with the groundbreaking Pride.

WRNJ 1510 AM, in Hackettstown NJ has sent a letter to the FCC indicating they are preparing a formal complaint of "substantial" interference to their 104.7 FM translator, from the one being discussed in this thread. So perhaps the testing will continue for quite some time, while this is being sorted out.

WRNJ 1510 AM, in Hackettstown NJ has sent a letter to the FCC indicating they are preparing a formal complaint of "substantial" interference to their 104.7 FM translator, from the one being discussed in this thread. So perhaps the testing will continue for quite some time, while this is being sorted out.
That is not good

I haven't been to the NYC area for a year, but I recall couple years ago that WSPK from Poughkeepsie was heard in Jersey City with a much decent signal, and once I was on the bridge overlooking MetLife stadium, it was very loud and clear(I can even hear it on my old portable radio!).

Now years later as more translators are popping up all over the dial, I wonder if WSPK can still be heard in certain parts of North Jersey despite the new 104.7 translator broadcasting from the new WTC...

The biggest threat to this translator is pirate radio. 104.7 is a very popular frequency for pirates throughout the area. There is a very strong one in the Newark area that wipes out the translator.

WRNJ 1510 AM, in Hackettstown NJ has sent a letter to the FCC indicating they are preparing a formal complaint of "substantial" interference to their 104.7 FM translator, from the one being discussed in this thread.

Here's the link to that letter: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101794077&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=2

It includes interference complaints from 35 listeners, one of which is Bobby Caldwell, known for the 1979 hit "What You Won't Do for Love", which he says gets regular airplay on WRNJ.

Last edited:
Merely for the sake of references:

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WRNJ&service=AM&h=D

We live a full inch due west off this R-L map. So WRNJ's 1510 signal has been heard here *once*. And it took a cat-whisker null of our downstate WWSM 1510 to have that WRNJ ID peek through.

Reference #2 : WRNJ once made the Allentown ratings at # 10. That was back when Arbitron listed all the 12+ station ratings, not just those of the subscribers. That showing is quite impressive for what amounted to an essentially daytime AM signal. IIrc, at the time, WRNJ had only one translator.

In its letter to the FCC, WRNJ requested that it order the "Suspension of operations [of the translator]...due to the devastating interference..."
Normally, doesn't the owner of a translator faced with a serious interference complaint shut it down, at least temporarily, without waiting for an F.C.C. order?
This reminds me of the attempt a few years ago to operate a translator on 106.3 from the skyscraper at 4 Times Square. When Press Communications, owner of WKMK complained of interference, it was quickly switched off, never to return. It is apparently extremely difficult to operate a translator from a tall building in Manhattan, without causing interference to an existing facility.

Plea to Listeners: http://wrnjradio.com/programming/2018/interference-complaint-form-104-7-fm/

Last edited:
Why are they allowed to have 2 translators? Their logo shows them on 92.7 as well as 104.7.

If the translator fits within the rules set forth for translators on AM stations, they can have as many as they want.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom