• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

104.7 nyc

J

Joylovepulse967

Do you have updates for 104.7 nyc . I want Pulse87ny format

Another thread on this?

You can have it! Stream it online using your favorite connected device! Good stuff for you and the dozen or so other listeners.

Would be nice if a Jewish, Italian, German, Polish and French ethnic shared the format, but it will never happen, because these peoples embraced the English language and our forefathers American customs, not like others who refuse to adapt to American ways and want formats to cater to their language. Just watch the once all English dial get smaller and smaller every year.

Would be nice if a Jewish, Italian, German, Polish and French ethnic shared the format, but it will never happen, because these peoples embraced the English language and our forefathers American customs, not like others who refuse to adapt to American ways and want formats to cater to their language. Just watch the once all English dial get smaller and smaller every year.

Gun smoke, rather than remove your post I’d prefer focusing on the media history of the market and our nation.

New York has had Yiddish and Italian stations. There are suburban Polish stations. Miami has Kreyol French stations. There will be stations in other languages as long as there is a community to serve and advertiser support.

Populations have “native language” stations to serve mostly first generation immigrants... and second generation Americans who like the music and customs of their family heritage.

Back to Colonial time, media in languages other than English have been very much a part of America and such outlets contribute to the assimilation process.

At one time, before FM was a factor, New York City had both WHOM and WOV in Italian. That was a significant percentage of all the AM stations in the market... because there were still lots of first and second generation Italian speakers.

In many cases, fully assimilated later generation descendants of immigrants love the music of their heritage which is only heard on such stations...

Last edited:
I am not against new ethnics serving their community, but I think it should be in the English language, so we all know what is being said, so the music, news, talk or whatever is understood by all. Who knows if they can be promoting violence, I think a foreign language station in California was doing just that years back in some foreign tongue. I would enjoy learning about other cultures, if I understood what was being portrayed and said, but heck in some cities most of the dial is other than English. Stations like WPHT and WURD speak their different views but you know what their about, if they were broadcasting in a language other than English nobody would bash Rush because most people would not understand what was being said. All I'm saying is all formats should be in English if they are within the states so we could understand them, is that such a bad thing, I know many listeners feel the same way.

Last edited:
Who knows if they can be promoting violence,

Who knows if English speaking stations are promoting violence? We've had situations where rock and rap songs promoted violence in English. We had a NYC DJ promote violence against the child of a competitor. Who knows? Their listeners know. Same if its done in another language. The FCC doesn't monitor stations for content, so the language is immaterial. The federal government has debated making English the national language, and they can't get the votes. There's also a likelihood that such a law wouldn't get past the first amendment. So the government at this time can't require radio stations broadcast in English.

All I'm saying is all formats should be in English if they are within the states so we could understand them, is that such a bad thing, I know many listeners feel the same way.

As BigA states, an limitation on freedom of expression is going to be a major First Amendment issue.

Other languages are not 100% parallel with English. So people who grew up speaking a non-English language may never be able to express certain things in a "new" language. And, more generally, once pre-adolescence has passed, it gets harder and harder for most people to fully acquire a second language.

A large percentage of first generation immigrants will always think in their birth language and translate as best they can to English when dealing with English speakers. So for the enjoyment of entertainment programming and for the understanding of news, the birth tongue will always be more expressive and have the ability for deeper thought and comprehension.

And then we get to music. A person who is assimilated but who grew up in another country with a different language and culture is likely going to have musical tastes that include music that has no equivalent or parallel in English. In my own case, most of my musical formative years were spent listening to things ranging from the Sonora Santanera to Los Graduados and the like... and at the same time, not listening to harder rock music. So today, I have hundreds of cumbias, vallenatos and salsa tunes on my iPhone, but no Aerosmith, Rush or Whitesnake, because I love the former and have no real interest in the latter.

And, likewise, I've never been able to discuss family and personal issues in English. While I know all the right words, I don't know the right feelings to be able to express such things in English. And that is more often than not the case with first generation immigrants.

A person does not suddenly start liking music in English just because they become well assimilated in the US. And there is no reason we should legislate a person's taste in music and use of a preferred language.

As to content, there will always be people in the audience of non-English language stations who will be staunch American patriots and who will take exception to any extreme statements... just as we have many Democrats who don't agree with the Alexandria Ocasio Cortez way of viewing society, politics and the economy.

A large percentage of first generation immigrants will always think in their birth language and translate as best they can to English when dealing with English speakers. So for the enjoyment of entertainment programming and for the understanding of news, the birth tongue will always be more expressive and have the ability for deeper thought and comprehension.

And that is why in many states driving tests are given in other languages such as Spanish, Italian, Chinese, etc.

And just to put a ribbon on this whole issue, Spanish-language formats are growing because new Americans from Spanish-speaking countries are still coming here and raising families here in significant numbers. That keeps the pool of potential immigrant and first-generation listeners large. The programs and stations dedicated to European languages -- Italian, Greek, German, Yiddish and the like -- have disappeared because immigration from the lands where those languages were spoken slowed to a trickle years ago. Portuguese continues on radio here in the Northeast (and I assume elsewhere) due to continuing immigration from Cape Verde and Brazil rather than Portugal itself.

For some reason (gosh, I wonder) I'm reminded of the times Frank Burns of MASH would gripe about having to treat and mingle with 'these foreigners' while he served in Korea .....

Despite my ancestries -- and only hearing just a few foreign phrases by older relatives, usually about food -- no one in the immediate family/families ever conversed in French, or German, or French-Canadian, or Gaelic. Not a single sentence. In fact, my brother-in-law from Ireland said they don't speak Gaelic in everyday routines and conversations over there, and haven't since he can remember. 'They speak English,' he said. 'Only it sounds different than here.'
That is how long the family clan had been osmose'd here, originally in Brooklyn and Queens.

And I doubt it would be in 104.7's budget to put on an ethnic-music format and then try to hire DJ's who sound like Richard Burton or Sir Laurence Olivier. Or even like Groucho Marx or Peter Falk. There is no reason a station that plays forms of traditional ethnic music should change their lifestyles. For those offended, there is a tuning knob and an on-off switch and a volume control. It's a small station anyway. It's not bothering anyone, except maybe people who think they're being bothered.

It’s likely going to be brokered...so, the party that buys the airtime can do what it wants. Good luck to them!

I remember WEVD. It was on 97.9, then sold the frequency and gained 1050AM. Mostly Yiddish, it had many non-English language programs. They tied the whole thing together by using the slogan, "we speak your language." Brilliant taking the negative of all the difference languages and tying them together.

I remember WEVD. It was on 97.9, then sold the frequency and gained 1050AM. Mostly Yiddish, it had many non-English language programs. They tied the whole thing together by using the slogan, "we speak your language." Brilliant taking the negative of all the difference languages and tying them together.

WUNR Brookline/Boston runs the same sort of format today, although I'm sure Yiddish is gone. Unfortunately, the production quality on much of the outsourced programming is poor.

All I'm saying is all formats should be in English if they are within the states so we could understand them, is that such a bad thing, I know many listeners feel the same way.

Since there is no official language of the United States, yes, forcing all stations to adhere to one language would be a bad thing.

And just because you claim you "know many listeners" feel the same way, doesn't mean it's the majority. Or that it's true.

If a foreign language station gets reported for offensive content by a listener, it would be investigated just the same as an English language station. Just because you don't understand the language doesn't mean others don't. And others can hear and report any offensive programming.

A couple of days ago, for other reasons, I had to look up Radio Station in Amman. There are 5 reported to be in English. Works both ways.

A couple of days ago, for other reasons, I had to look up Radio Station in Amman. There are 5 reported to be in English. Works both ways.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jordanians are required to learn English as a second language. The late King Hussein (JY1, to you) was fluent (as, of course, is his American-born widow, Noor, JY2), and King Abdullah (Is he a ham?) speaks English, too. Both were educated in the West, in English. Don't forget, Jordan was once Trans-Jordan, a British territory. English is still widely spoken just about everywhere the British Empire ever extended.

It would be nice if they could use a different frequency. The signal is unusable in my car in Eastern Nassau but comes in with the FM antenna in my attic. You can’t even lock into WPAT HD2 as WPAT is also on lower power at ESB. 104.7 has too many restrictions on it as they have to protect WAXQ and WSPK.

But how many full power AM//FM 24/7/365 Rock/Alternative/Country, English language signals are there in Mexico and going south into Central and South America, Jamaica and Puerto Rico, not many at all. I would bet there are tons more Spanish signals in the USA, then English signals in those areas, just sayin'.

But how many full power AM//FM 24/7/365 Rock/Alternative/Country, English language signals are there in Mexico and going south into Central and South America, Jamaica and Puerto Rico, not many at all. I would bet there are tons more Spanish signals in the USA, then English signals in those areas, just sayin'.

Probably because there is more of an audience for Spanish language radio in the United States than audience for Rock/Alternative/Country radio in Mexico and going south into Central and South America, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico. So it wouldn't make financial sense.

"Just Sayin'"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom