• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

104.7 nyc

My guess is that this translator will not be offering any real programming anytime soon. WRNJ AM on Friday filed a Supplement to their original interference complaint to the FCC, once again requesting an immediate "suspension of operations." It states that over 40 of their listeners have filed complaints of interference within the protected contour of their 104.7 translator. Additional letters from their listeners were submitted with this updated complaint. The document also contains complaints against the owners of the new translator.

An Interesting Read: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...t=25&appn=101794728&formid=917&fac_num=143664

They're probably phony complaints. People who live well outside what is considered to be their normal reception area.

You'd think it would be easy to do for station employees to have friends unconnected with the station to write phony reports. If everyone keeps his or her mouth shut, the FCC will never know, right?

They're probably phony complaints. People who live well outside what is considered to be their normal reception area.

WRNJ has letters from listeners alleging that Rahul Walia toured the area in person to bully some of the people who filed interference complaints into signing a document to retract their complaint.

goons.png

WRNJ has letters from listeners alleging that Rahul Walia toured the area in person to bully some of the people who filed interference complaints into signing a document to retract their complaint.

goons.png

This seems to be a legit "tit for tat" situation that will go on until one side gives up OR runs out of money. Look what transpired with W292DV dating back a decade or so (when it was on empire briefly) and now it's finally back on from LIC. Seems like the North Jersey 1047 group got "comfy" having the airwaves "uninhibited" while the NYC 1047 was in a holding pattern in Perth Amboy en route to NYC. Now that its on, what rightfully wasn't wrnj's is now being acted on in a defensive manner. If I'm not mistaken, (correct me if I'm wrong), the defending party has the right to investigate any and all claims of interference to validate or invalidate them. Playing devil's advocate, who knows the real story behind this letter?

I'm hoping to hear something "different" on the frequency soon... the same 2 hours of music got real old, real quick!

If by "different" you mean brokered ethnic, then you'll probably be pleased with what ends up on 104.7. If you're hoping for some sort of alternative, AAA, oldies, rock, etc. format...you'll probably wish you had your two hours music loop back.

There's no reason to believe that the people who took the time to complain about the NYC 104.7 translator are lying is there? Yes, people are being encouraged to complain by WRNJ...so I can understand why you might be suspicious. But most people would not go out of their way to lie to a federal agency...especially over some dopey local radio station.

Actually, I wonder if the operator of the NYC 104.7 turned down the power on the translator while "investigating" the complaints. Wouldn't that be interesting...

I guess if these guys can't work it out, the FCC will have to decide what to do?

If by "different" you mean brokered ethnic, then you'll probably be pleased with what ends up on 104.7. If you're hoping for some sort of alternative, AAA, oldies, rock, etc. format...you'll probably wish you had your two hours music loop back.

I have no horse in the race but we always complain about tight playlists and this one makes even the most micro-programmed station look like it has variety. Yeah I'm a realist so being naïve to think something "exciting" is on the horizon doesn't really seem likely... As for turning down the power, if they aren't operating at legal licensed power then wouldn't that be another issue in and of itself without some sort of FCC permission granted? It seems like the other station is demanding it but until the FCC acts, that's all it is, a wishful demand...

I have no horse in the race but we always complain about tight playlists and this one makes even the most micro-programmed station look like it has variety. Yeah I'm a realist so being naïve to think something "exciting" is on the horizon doesn't really seem likely... As for turning down the power, if they aren't operating at legal licensed power then wouldn't that be another issue in and of itself without some sort of FCC permission granted? It seems like the other station is demanding it but until the FCC acts, that's all it is, a wishful demand...

Do you know why there are tight playlists? Because they actually work. David Eduardo can expand this, but in essence, there's research that shows that while most people say they want more variety, they really mean that they want to hear more of the songs that they personally like. But since you're programming to thousands of people and not one person, tastes will vary significantly among the masses. The bottom line is that a programmer wants to play enough songs so that you don't get bored, but not something "off the reservation" or a clunker that would cause you to tune out completely. Like it or not, radio is a mass medium, not a personal playlist. I think that a programmer who programs to himself/herself is likely doomed to fail.

As for turning down the power, if they aren't operating at legal licensed power then wouldn't that be another issue in and of itself without some sort of FCC permission granted? It seems like the other station is demanding it but until the FCC acts, that's all it is, a wishful demand...

The issue with translators is that, under the "old" rules, a licensed A, B or C class FM can complain about interference even outside its protected contour. Because of that and the somewhat variable issues of propagation, there have been a number of cases where a licensed translator has had to move, directionalize, reduce power or shut down due to interference complaints lodged by listeners who can no longer hear a particular station due to a new translator coming on the air.

Do you know why there are tight playlists? Because they actually work. David Eduardo can expand this, but in essence, there's research that shows that while most people say they want more variety, they really mean that they want to hear more of the songs that they personally like. But since you're programming to thousands of people and not one person, tastes will vary significantly among the masses. The bottom line is that a programmer wants to play enough songs so that you don't get bored, but not something "off the reservation" or a clunker that would cause you to tune out completely. Like it or not, radio is a mass medium, not a personal playlist. I think that a programmer who programs to himself/herself is likely doomed to fail.

Perfect explanation.

Stations don't limit playlists just because the want a short list. A playlist is as large as the total number of consensus, broadly popular songs that can be found. That might be 90 for a CHR or 600 for a classic hits station. We want to play all the good songs, but not the ones that have negatives with some segment of the audience.

My post was actually not intended to become programming 101 nor did I infer that I didn’t understand the “litany of reasons” that they exist. That said, whether they work or not I am entitled to dislike the notion of it right? 2 hours of programming (relating to this post topic specifically) is vastly different than a tightly programmed “real” radio station not one obviously stunting.

As far as rules changing for interference parameters, in this case aren’t we speaking solely of (2) Class D translators which by default are in a position to accept interference by which the initial licenses were granted? If one were originating programming (which I can see where this would get hairy with the WRNJ side), then it would be different. This seems like 2 sides on an equal playing field vying for a victory rather than common ground...

Just my .02 but I’m sure there are plenty of others who can isolate bits and pieces of my statements and take them out of context...

I was visiting NJ/NY recently and tuned in to hear 104.7 on my travels. First observation was that they did a "cute" job with the music. The format - if you want to call it that - was all over the place. It was all New York flavor songs like Billy Joel's NY State of Mind, Sinatra's NY NY, even some rendition of "give my regards to Broadway." Not a "real" station, but nice placeholder.

As far as the signal, when I was going over the GWB, I couldn't hear it. Poughkeepsie was blaring in (even though I could almost see the tower!) But while in NJ, I was listening quite clearly at the Menlo Park Mall!

Also, I think it was identifying as WPAT-HD3 now. Not 100% sure, but that's what it sounded like.

Any more updates on owner, LMA, format-to-come, etc?

They made sure that the translator signal would not reach one square inch of Westchester county or else K104 would complain.

I can't believe how great this 104.7 signal is in Jersey...25 miles from 1wtc and it comes in really good! If it truly has no signal at all to the north that makes the format choice a challenging one. I think if they did do a soft ac format on it it could get mid 1s, maybe even a 2 share 6+. However, it will most likely be some sort of ethnic format and even if it doesn't have much going north, it still reaches a ton of people and many of those people do not have a format that caters to their communities on the fm band in nyc. I wonder though, if teamed up with 93.5 or 103.9 a hip hop classics format might do some decent numbers. It is a fad format but some have found a way to keep it fresh enough to perform at an adequate level.

WPAT HD2, which feeds the translator, has been broadcasting an open carrier throughout the day. Is the translator also now silent? I can only receive the HD2 at my location.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom