Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AT&T boss wants to shift TNT/TBS money to HBO.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by umfan View Post
    No, I think you represented something that couldn't be backed up and I noted it is all. Time, and the outcome of the DoJ appeal will determine if this was a wise acquisition by AT&T. I believe it will prove not to be. However, going back to the topic of the OP, if original programming dollars are shifted from TBS/TNT to HBO, this could have an impact on the perceived value of these networks. There are many outlets carrying reruns now. It makes it easy to move these stations to a higher, and less subscribed tier, especially from cable outlets that compete with AT&T. I don't see the NBC channels owned by Comcast as being similarly disposable by AT&T. For one, they get higher ratings than their AT&T owned counterparts and some are covered by 'must carry' rules.
    The point made by BigA, and substantiated by the public financial data, is that the Turner division is more profitable.

Now that the AT&T operating model is to combine the divisions under one management team, there may, naturally be a reassessment of the focus and resources of individual channels. But overall, the Turner group, where more profits historically came from, is not going to be "gutted" to enhance HBO to the point of hurting those revenue streams.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Actually, David, I will respectfully disagree with your characterization. TNT/TBS were the subject of the discussion and these were compared to HBO. While HBO is distinctly broken out in Warner's earnings, the individual Turner stations are not. For the assertions that were made to be valid, one would need detailed information not publicly reported.

A recent earnings report is here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp.../#c418c751a994

Please, from this, or another source, walk me through how one can discern what TNT/TBS ALONE are making compared to HBO. To assume they're significantly more profitable than HBO, one would have to conclude that TCM, the CNN networks and the other Turner assets aren't very profitable. Since the poster in question has often asserted that CNN is very profitable, he is either wrong on that or wrong here.

If an assertion is going to be made, it really should be accompanied by some sort of analysis, or the point should be conceded. Why you're paraphrasing his position as involving all of the Turner networks, when the topic of the post was specifically TBS and TNT is not clear to me, but it's of no consequence.

Finally, I never stated TNT/TBS, again not the whole Turner group, would be 'gutted' only that moving the funds could disadvantage these stations. If you disagree with that, tell me why.

Please, from this, or another source, walk me through how one can discern what TNT/TBS ALONE are making compared to HBO.
    Once again you're mischaracterizing what I said.

Point out specifically how I am, and I'll consider it. I really don't believe I am.

Point out specifically how I am, and I'll consider it. I really don't believe I am.
    Show me where I said "TBS/TNT ALONE." Never did. I said "Turner Channels." That means all of them. A third party understands what I meant.

Read the OP, it says distinctly 'Specifically TBS/TNT' THAT's where the discussion was centered.

Read the OP, it says distinctly 'Specifically TBS/TNT' THAT's where the discussion was centered.
    As long as I didn't say it, I don't care.

https://www.arcamax.com/business/businessnews/s-2142107

Early indication that AT&T outright lied about their plans for TW. Could prove useful to DoJ in the appeal.

Early indication that AT&T outright lied about their plans for TW. Could prove useful to DoJ in the appeal.
    Where's the lie? Did AT&T promise it would keep everything in the company intact? That would be crazy. AT&T is managing Turner in ways it hadn't been managed before. The example in the OP of this thread, where development money may shift from TBS to HBO, is another example. They never promised that changes wouldn't be made.

The article was very clear on where AT&T has not met their promises.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast