• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Senate Passes Orrin G. Hatch Music Modernization Act

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=b15580

This is a Reform to Copyright law according to the release.

The Senate has passed the Orrin G. Hatch Music Modernization Act (MMA), joining the House of Representatives in unanimously approving the first reform of music copyright law in decades. Because the bills are not identical, the bill now goes back to the House for approval, and then to the White House where President Trump is expected sign. The MMA includes language that will establish a formal role for Congress as the Department of Justice reviews consent decrees with ASCAP and BMI -- the two largest performing rights organizations. Collectively they license over 90% of the musical works that are played on local radio stations.
NAB President/CEO Gordon Smith said, "NAB applauds Senate passage of the Orrin G. Hatch Music Modernization Act. Naming this critical legislation after Senator Hatch is a fitting tribute to his tireless efforts to improve the lives of songwriters. NAB appreciates the hard work of Senators Hatch, Whitehouse, Alexander and Coons, Chairman Grassley and Ranking Member Feinstein in producing a compromise bill that will benefit songwriters, legacy recording artists, producers, digital streaming services, and music listeners.

That was a lot of nothing. What effect will it have on the various components of the music biz?

That was a lot of nothing. What effect will it have on the various components of the music biz?

It's good for the songwriters. It's the first real change to how they get paid in 90 years.

It also marks a real display of cooperation among the various vested interests, including labels, publishing, writers, artists, and radio.

It's good for the songwriters. It's the first real change to how they get paid in 90 years.

I surmised that from your previous posts but what I wanted to know is....what is the change and how will affect the songwriters? Neither of those was covered in that very sparse announcement.

It gets very complicated, as most government regulations are. But everyone is very happy. All of the vested interests got together before hand, wrote down what they all wanted, got the lawyers to craft it into legislation, and presented it on a platter to Congress. All Congress had to do was vote and do a press release. High fives all around.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr5447/summary

Last edited:
Let me add that one very specific change in this new law that might be of interest to you has to do with pre-1972 songs. They are now covered under the federal copyright law as post 1972 songs.

Let me add that one very specific change in this new law that might be of interest to you has to do with pre-1972 songs. They are now covered under the federal copyright law as post 1972 songs.

I noticed that. Thank you.

That might lead to format changes at small oldies stations that are scuffling financially.

Good question. He has no reason to veto. The question is how they handle the signing ceremony.

Here's what one newspaper says: "Trump's signature is viewed as a certainty by backers of the legislation since it lawmakers from the Republican majority championed the bill throughout the process."

But it's been sitting on his desk for a week. So they must be waiting for some musician schedules to match up.

That might lead to format changes at small oldies stations that are scuffling financially.

Since terrestrial radio stations on AM and FM pay fees to writers and composers, covered by ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and Global Music Rights.

Radio stations of the terrestrial kind only pay artist and label royalties on digital streams, and that is a separate issue.

Good question. He has no reason to veto. The question is how they handle the signing ceremony.

Here's what one newspaper says: "Trump's signature is viewed as a certainty by backers of the legislation since it lawmakers from the Republican majority championed the bill throughout the process."

But it's been sitting on his desk for a week. So they must be waiting for some musician schedules to match up.

Ted Nugent, perhaps?

I only asked because the president has been critical of the liberal leanings of many in the entertainment industry, and because so many of the record labels are now part of foreign-owned conglomerates. But if the GOP has been behind this from the start, yes, I expect Trump to be sitting down, grinning and signing this "incredible, beautiful, amazing" piece of legislation soon, maybe even calling it "the greatest legislation ever passed in, perhaps, the history of music."

Radio stations of the terrestrial kind only pay artist and label royalties on digital streams, and that is a separate issue.

Most of those smaller oldies stations stream, and I'd expect streaming royalties to increase.

Especially since they may not have been paying royalties on pre-1972 music before. Now they will.

I only asked because the president has been critical of the liberal leanings of many in the entertainment industry

The music industry for the most part doesn't support this president. But they have lots of stars who do, and sure Ted is one, although not the best known.

Lee Greenwood would love to be there, as both a writer and performer. Kanye West is another who's been a vocal supporter.

My theory is they're just working on the various schedules, because they haven't had a lot of legislative victories to celebrate.

The music industry for the most part doesn't support this president. But they have lots of stars who do, and sure Ted is one, although not the best known.

Lee Greenwood would love to be there, as both a writer and performer. Kanye West is another who's been a vocal supporter.

My theory is they're just working on the various schedules, because they haven't had a lot of legislative victories to celebrate.

Greenwood, definitely, since Trump uses his "God Bless the USA" at all his rallies. Hank Williams Jr. is another pro-Trump performer -- although his country hits dried up in the '90s and he's best known now for his many years singing the Monday Night Football theme.

Greenwood, definitely, since Trump uses his "God Bless the USA" at all his rallies. Hank Williams Jr. is another pro-Trump performer -- although his country hits dried up in the '90s and he's best known now for his many years singing the Monday Night Football theme.

Unfortunately, Taylor Swift's chances decreased by 25 percent recently.

I guess she'll have to wipe her tears with all her money. Not to mention all the American Music Awards she just got. Boo hoo.

The fact is the big stars won't gain much from this Act. It's mainly for songwriters and artists from pre-1972.

The Music Modernization Act was just signed by the president. Among the celebrities, we spotted Kid Rock, Kanye West, and Celebrity Apprentice winner John Rich.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom