• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pair Of DC-Area AMs Sold

What's with the huge, imploded southeast null on the day pattern? Radio-Locator says WUST has the same pattern on the existing (?) signal as on the CP signal.

I do believe both of these stations run (or did run) China Radio International.

CRI has a history (even though I do believe they can now legally buy their own US radio stations) of renting first via LMA in a market, then buying the stations via a 3rd party Chinese-American citizen. Would not surprise me if this is what’s happening—though I can’t confirm currently as I don’t want to sift through the FCC records and I’m not shelling out the scratch for RBR.

What I’d be curious about is what the incentive is for a Chinese-American citizen to buy a station and use it to rebroadcast a non-commercial format from their native land. Either CRI is exceptionally well-liked by the expat community here or there’s some sort of cash/promotional considerations given by the Chinese Government to buy and maintain these stations. I’m going with the latter...assuming they are being “sold” to CRI via a private citizen.

I do believe both of these stations run (or did run) China Radio International.

CRI has a history (even though I do believe they can now legally buy their own US radio stations) of renting first via LMA in a market, then buying the stations via a 3rd party Chinese-American citizen. Would not surprise me if this is what’s happening—though I can’t confirm currently as I don’t want to sift through the FCC records and I’m not shelling out the scratch for RBR.

What I’d be curious about is what the incentive is for a Chinese-American citizen to buy a station and use it to rebroadcast a non-commercial format from their native land. Either CRI is exceptionally well-liked by the expat community here or there’s some sort of cash/promotional considerations given by the Chinese Government to buy and maintain these stations. I’m going with the latter...assuming they are being “sold” to CRI via a private citizen.

Potomac Radio Group was established by former CBS Radio head Dan Mason and two partners to buy stations. It is not a surrogate for the Chinese government.

From Inside Radio:

"Potomac Radio Group filed a $1.5 million deal to buy Spanish WUST (1120) and ethnic WCRW (1190) Washington, DC from New World Radio. The contract stipulates that each of the AMs is worth $750,000. Potomac Radio Group is a partnership among president Patricia Lane, CFO Brian Lane and VP of broadcast operations Dan Mason—the former CBS Radio CEO who currently serves as an advisor to iHeartMedia."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom