• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It is high, it is far, it is..moved to Thursday

WEEI:"Today's Red Sox-Yankees game has been moved back to 7:05 p.m., and the much-anticipate WEEI/WFAN broadcaster swap has been moved to Thursday night."

Can YOU believe it! (4th inning now on Thu, John Sterling on Red Sox Radio Network, Joe Castiglione
on Yankees Radio Network.

In a game ultimately won by the Red Sox, clinching the division title, the Yankees went ahead 6-4 in the fourth on a grand slam, called by the respective announcers on the other team's network. Joe Castiglione said it was hard for him to call it (since it gave the Yankees the lead..though I think he grew up a Yankees fan.

Suzyn Waldman told Joe C that his mentor Ken Coleman got her her radio job.
The whole switcheroo thing used to be common during the radio game of the week, the "hometown inning"
I think in the 75 World Series NBC TV had hometown announcers in so Dick Stockton got to call Fisk's game winning HR in game 6.
I think there are several markets that have both Red Sox and Yankees affiliates like Providence, Hartford and Burlington.Maybe Troy NY too?

One time, before I had XM or a smartphone, I was driving through NY state and would be spending a night in Syracuse.I had gone beyond any Red Sox affiliates so I had a Yankees game on. It was hot and John Sterling was saying "Boy, days like today you feel glad Mr Carrier invented air conditioning" (IIRC) The funny thing is at that very moment I was driving on Carrier Circle (and I think the Carrier plant was nearby).

The whole switcheroo thing used to be common during the radio game of the week, the "hometown inning"
I think in the 75 World Series NBC TV had hometown announcers in so Dick Stockton got to call Fisk's game winning HR in game 6.

Perhaps such an example could inspire the Bruins and the Habs to arrange a one-period announcer swap between Judd Sirott and Martin McGuire. :)

When NBC had exclusive TV rights to the World Series in the 60s and 70s, they would include the home team announcer as third man in the booth. In '75 in games at Fenway Ned Martin (radio) did some innings and Dick Stockton (TV) did others. Stockton was in the booth for the Fisk homer. That system ended when ABC got the rights, 1977 I think.

In 1980 when the Phillies won the World Series, their announcer Harry Kalas was prevented from calling it.
More recently at least on radio, the World Series games could be called by the regular team network announcers--on the flagship station only.Team network affiliates got ESPN.

In 2008 Kalas was able to finally call a World Series win for the Phillies.He passed on the following year.
Wikipedia:"However, due to MLB rules at the time, he could not call the 1980 World Series, as local broadcasters were not allowed to call games due to contract conflicts with MLB, NBC and CBS Radio. Public outcry caused MLB to change its policies the following year"
(The Phillies did play in the 93 WS but lost to Tor.)

Stockton's call of the Fisk HR
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8sSLpcEtzX8

Last edited:
When NBC had exclusive TV rights to the World Series in the 60s and 70s, they would include the home team announcer as third man in the booth. In '75 in games at Fenway Ned Martin (radio) did some innings …

His appearance also represented a brief reunion with his former broadcast partner, Curt Gowdy.

A reminder that due to MLB broadcast rules, during the World Series only the flagship station of the AL or NL champions can carry their own broadcasts.Affiliates of their networks will get the Westwood One feed instead.

In the past, WBOQ carried Red Sox but that ended this year.A friend of mine had asked me in 2013 why he wasn't hearing Joe Castiglione, etc, during WS on 104.9.Explained rule to him.

I get that this has been the rule for a while, but it wasn't always. At least in the past the home local TV guys would be in the booth during WS games. It was a great opportunity to hear legends like Harry Carey when he did St. Louis and the Cardinals were in, Ernie Harwell when the Tigers were playing, or Mel Allen for the Yankees. It gave the games a lot more flavor than the bland parade of game-show-host-baritones we get now.

A reminder that due to MLB broadcast rules, during the World Series only the flagship station of the AL or NL champions can carry their own broadcasts.Affiliates of their networks will get the Westwood One feed instead.
In the case of other area stations owned by Entercom / (Whatever they're calling themselves this week) such as 103.7, count as part of the "flagship", or as affiliates?

I think they would have to run the national feed (I'd said W1 but I think it's ESPN Radio).We'll see.

Portland Press Herald, 10-22-13:
"Red Sox radio listeners around here will be deprived of their regular radio team because ESPN’s contract with Major League Baseball says the network has exclusive rights to broadcast the World Series around the country. The only exception is that the “flagship” radio station of each team in the World Series can use its own broadcasters to broadcast the games in its immediate area (emphasis mine).That means the Boston station that employs O’Brien and Castiglione, WEEI (93.7 FM), will still broadcast the World Series games and still use O’Brien and Castiglione. And since the station’s signal is fairly powerful, some listeners in southern York County may be able to hear it.
But most fans across New England listen to WEEI’s Red Sox broadcasts on a network of more than 50 affiliate stations"

Last edited:
I think they would have to run the national feed (I'd said W1 but I think it's ESPN Radio).We'll see.

Portland Press Herald, 10-22-13:
"Red Sox radio listeners around here will be deprived of their regular radio team because ESPN’s contract with Major League Baseball says the network has exclusive rights to broadcast the World Series around the country. The only exception is that the “flagship” radio station of each team in the World Series can use its own broadcasters to broadcast the games in its immediate area (emphasis mine).That means the Boston station that employs O’Brien and Castiglione, WEEI (93.7 FM), will still broadcast the World Series games and still use O’Brien and Castiglione. And since the station’s signal is fairly powerful, some listeners in southern York County may be able to hear it.
But most fans across New England listen to WEEI’s Red Sox broadcasts on a network of more than 50 affiliate stations"

Except that it's not O'Brien and Castiglione. It's (Tim) Neverett and Castiglione. And has been for 2 or 3 years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom