• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCBS Meets The Mets

The last paragraph of the press release is interesting, stating that all Entercom radio stations (not just WCBS) will run promotional announcements for the team. You might see the Alt promo van at Citi Field next season.

Kind of like iHeart going all over their stations with promos/ads for the iHR app, iHR music festival,
"this day in rock history" (on a talk station) etc. Promote, promote, promote.

It's be nice to hear the Mets at night a little more clearly (I grew up a bicycle ride south of Shea plus have used keeping score of games as a hobby for 30 years).

WOR has a better signal here in the day ; WCBS is better at night.

It's be nice to hear the Mets at night a little more clearly (I grew up a bicycle ride south of Shea plus have used keeping score of games as a hobby for 30 years).

WOR has a better signal here in the day ; WCBS is better at night.

This will be terrific news for Mets fans in much of Connecticut. WOR's signal is weak and fluttery at night here between Hartford and New Haven, and the Mets' sorry excuse for a radio network has no affiliate anywhere close.

You're right about WOR's crappy signal in Connecticut. I used to try listening to Dr. Joy Browne (may she rest in peace) on WOR only because they carried her at an earlier time than The Talk of Connecticut and most nights at my location WOR's signal was obliterated by a station from Cuba. I'm not a METS fan (I'm a Yankees fan and the Yankees used to be on 880), but in my location I can't get WCBS 880 day or night at my location on my Walkman. On my Walkman day and night I get bleed over from WLAT 910. In the car different story whether I was driving my Pontiac Sunfire (which I don't have any more), my Mom's Honda Civic, or my friend's GMC Terrain. In all 3 vehicles WCBS comes in with a listenable signal.

I wonder why the only METS affiliate in Connecticut is WAVZ 1300 in New Haven. I know way back in the 80s WNTY 990 in Southington carried the Games. At 2500 watts they cover Central Connecticut nicely. (Since back then they signed off at 8:30PM and not until after the game on game night they would not switch to the low power night signal). More recently WLIS/WMRD in Old Saybrook/Middletown carried the weekend games, but not any longer.

Last edited:
I think there are a decent number of fair-weather Mets fans here in central Connecticut. I remember lots of people jumping on the bandwagon in 1986, when even the local sporting goods stores would have Mets jerseys and jackets in the display windows. Of course the Mets really didn't need a central CT affiliate once WFAN moved to 660 from 1050 and became a regional blowtorch signal for much of New England.

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n36408

And Now Entercom has announced the Mets Broadcast crew

Entercom has announced the radio broadcast team for New York Mets broadcasts on WCBS 880 in New York, the new flagship station of the team. Veteran broadcaster Howie Rose will continue as the lead voice in the Mets radio booth where he will be joined by Wayne Randazzo. Randazzo was previously pregame and postgame host for the Mets.

"This is an exciting time for WCBS 880 as we launch our inaugural season of New York Mets broadcast coverage," said Susan Larkin, Regional President and Market Manager, Entercom New York. "Mets fans are some of the most passionate fans in baseball, and we trust, behind Howie, Wayne and the rest of the broadcast team, they will consistently turn to this historic station for coverage of their favorite team."

"We're thrilled once again to be part of the Entercom family that enables our fans to enjoy Mets baseball on such a historic station like WCBS 880 with a tremendous reach," said Lou DePaoli, Executive Vice President and Chief Revenue Officer, New York Mets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom