• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

20 Years Since the End of Groove Radio

Time passes... and next month marks the 20-year anniversary of the end of Groove Radio / Groove 103.1. What are some of your memories of that station (and its two-year run), and as for the station's personalities, where are they now?

Time passes... and next month marks the 20-year anniversary of the end of Groove Radio / Groove 103.1. What are some of your memories of that station (and its two-year run), and as for the station's personalities, where are they now?

So that means next month marks the 20 year anniversary of the beginning of the socalfamous Channel 103.1 (heh heh heh);; BTW first song they played was People Get Ready IIRC

So that means next month marks the 20 year anniversary of the beginning of the socalfamous Channel 103.1 (heh heh heh);; BTW first song they played was People Get Ready IIRC

Was that World Class Rock or did they not use that moniker until later at 101.9? My AAA stations come and go so fast it is hard to keep up. Hard to believe that the most successful one (in terms of longevity) is...KCSN! Who knew??

Was that World Class Rock or did they not use that moniker until later at 101.9? My AAA stations come and go so fast it is hard to keep up. Hard to believe that the most successful one (in terms of longevity) is...KCSN! Who knew??

They never said "World Class Rock" at KSCA, they first said "Southern California's Adult Album Alternative". Because that was too much of a mouthful to say, later on they called themselves "LA's Finest Rock" Re. 103.1, yes IIRC they ID'd as "Channel 103.1 World Class Rock" .... When they migrated to Internet-only they only said "World Class Rock". You're right they come and go so fast! Luckily we have 88.5 FM (they only say 'KCSN' once an hour, but YOU know that ha). You know, KF, since I've been a steady listener to 88.5 FM it's just about impossible to listen to ANY commercial AAA station (on the Internet through Tune In Radio Pro of course)

They never said "World Class Rock" at KSCA, they first said "Southern California's Adult Album Alternative". Because that was too much of a mouthful to say, later on they called themselves "LA's Finest Rock" Re. 103.1, yes IIRC they ID'd as "Channel 103.1 World Class Rock" .... When they migrated to Internet-only they only said "World Class Rock". You're right they come and go so fast! Luckily we have 88.5 FM (they only say 'KCSN' once an hour, but YOU know that ha). You know, KF, since I've been a steady listener to 88.5 FM it's just about impossible to listen to ANY commercial AAA station (on the Internet through Tune In Radio Pro of course)

Your memory is better than mine, but now that you have said it, I think I remember it the same way too. I do remember the first song on KSCA was Sheryl Crowe's "All I Want to Do". At the time, I wasn't even purposely tuning in to hear the changeover, it just happened to be on my car radio.

Sorry to hijack the the thread from the OP. With regard to your question, my memories of Groove radio are rather vague - I did tune in sometimes for some dance beats, but I remember MARRS-FM better as I liked their diversity of music and rather hip attitude. They were really the first form of competition that KROQ ever had if my memory serves. Of course being on the limited signal, KROQ had no need to even acknowledge them.

Remembering MARS-FM

Your memory is better than mine, but now that you have said it, I think I remember it the same way too. I do remember the first song on KSCA was Sheryl Crowe's "All I Want to Do". At the time, I wasn't even purposely tuning in to hear the changeover, it just happened to be on my car radio.

Sorry to hijack the the thread from the OP. With regard to your question, my memories of Groove radio are rather vague - I did tune in sometimes for some dance beats, but I remember MARRS-FM better as I liked their diversity of music and rather hip attitude. They were really the first form of competition that KROQ ever had if my memory serves. Of course being on the limited signal, KROQ had no need to even acknowledge them.

I interned at MARS-FM with Heidi Woods (I think) I know it was Fall 1990 as it was just before I went to CSU Fresno. I remember when she dropped the wrong version of a song which dropped the bomb and elaborated. She was shocked and devistated while another guy and I laughed our asses off while looking at the booth phone.

Good times. 😄

So what? Next year will be the twenty first year. Am I the only one who doesn't miss it?

@ajc_trw - it was Heidi Adams - who more recently has been with KCRW doing traffic

@TeaPartyDude - yes, you are the proverbial only one. Groove Radio (Groove 103.1) and its original incarnation as MARS-FM were two of the best Euro-styled formats ever to air in this market (and both were on 103.1). Sample MARS-FM, the "New Music Invasion" here - http://www.freddysnakeskin.com/marsfm - and you can see how this was compelling radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom