• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNLP What happened to the new music?

mikerock

Leading Participant
I was really loving this station but for awhile now every time I listen it is older music and very little new music. The audio also went to shit a few weeks ago. Very flat and compressed. What happened?

Back to Pandora I guess.

Yes. It is, that is how bad it is now. Why? PPM?

Nothing has changed that I can see.

Mediabase shows their currents are being played at the same level at other major market alternative stations such as KROQ and WKQX. In fact, it's a slight increase in spins from last week.

Mediabase shows their currents are being played at the same level at other major market alternative stations such as KROQ and WKQX. In fact, it's a slight increase in spins from last week.

Maybe it is the last 2-3 pathetic hours every now and then that am tuning in. Today on it off was horrible as it has been all week (same automated garbage played out playlist has happened after midnight in the past). This is the first time since the format change that I have had enough this is shit both on playlist and audio quality regardless of radio or streaming.

The station reminds me of the the dying station before the format change back in the late 2000 something. Same old crap over and over again, with the same couple new crap songs over and over again. Garbage. Then they switched format.

Right now I am back to Pandora. Better playlist and better audio quality, even on my cell phone. Just more work when I have to get in the car. I am done.

Last edited:

What is mediabase going by? Majority of songs 1990-2003, with 3 songs an hour between 2003-2017?

What is mediabase going by? Majority of songs 1990-2003, with 3 songs an hour between 2003-2017?

They're going by the songs the station plays. They track them. You asked about current songs, so I specifically did a search on the currents they played in the last week. By currents, that means songs released in the last 6 months. I can do another search on older songs.

They're going by the songs the station plays. They track them. You asked about current songs, so I specifically did a search on the currents they played in the last week. By currents, that means songs released in the last 6 months. I can do another search on older songs.

I suspect maybe currents are being played at certain hours of the day and less so when I am tuning in for a 1-2 hour stretch. Regardless the audio went to shit. Flat and overly compressed compared to other stations during the periods I was listening.
I probably should keep my listening to weekday late mornings and afternoons for newer music.

I suspect he means WNYL

Yes, thought I had typed that, man was I way off and it will not allow me to edit now, oh well. Not sure how I came up with NLP. Good thing I was not driving.

I looked over the playlist for the last hour and do see the currents, mixed in with allot of really played out classic alternative. Looks like I was probably tuning out in frustration of too many old played out classic alternative songs before hearing the newer songs missing them altogether.

Looking at the last hour or so as one example.

Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - Green Day
Come As You Are - Nirvana
Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind

It is one thing to do this with new music but to beat these played out songs to death so repeatedly it is like nails on the chalkboard. I also heard REM's "Losing my religion" way too many times in the last few days and this was only a 15 minute tune-in a couple times over two days,

They should also keep that soft rock Africa by Weezer off of 92.3. They can go beat it to death over on 102.7 where it belongs.

They should also keep that soft rock Africa by Weezer off of 92.3. They can go beat it to death over on 102.7 where it belongs.

That may be your personal opinion, but the song is #2 on the Alternative Rock chart now, so obviously other people don't agree:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/alternative-songs

Radio stations play what the majority of people want to hear. They're not programming to individuals.

They played Losing My Religion 14 times last week, twice a day. They play their gold twice as much as most alternative stations. Then again, that's what WRXP did in order to get their best ratings.

That may be your personal opinion, but the song is #2 on the Alternative Rock chart now, so obviously other people don't agree:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/alternative-songs

Radio stations play what the majority of people want to hear. They're not programming to individuals.

They played Losing My Religion 14 times last week, twice a day. They play their gold twice as much as most alternative stations. Then again, that's what WRXP did in order to get their best ratings.

Obviously they are not programming to individuals and rather for the majority. But if you are going to call yourself a new music station it should be a new music station. Pandora and other radio stations outside of NYC that call themselves new music stations sound like new music stations. Their playlists reflect that. As I write this I just let Youtube do it's thing with Alternative and it provided a playlist dominated by popular new Alternative from 2012-2018. Very much like Pandora and stations outside of NYC. It is not all that hard to do. Every song played was at #1 at one point or another without having to resort to playing Green Day from the 90s repetitively.

I always used to read the charts weekly but not at all this year. I am surprised to see Africa on the #2 spot. I suppose with Weezer being a popular Alternative band it is going to chart regardless it sounds nothing like Alternative. This happens from time to time like back in May with CHVRCHES another popular Alternative artist with allot of hits that had a recent charting song that sounded nothing like Alternative. It likely becomes problematic for those programming such a format as not to ruin the flow to keep people tuned in just like mixing classic alternative does for new music fans.

I suppose beating to death classic alternative mixed with inherent problems with the Alternative charts like I describe goes back to what people were saying about the audience being fragmented.

Pandora and other radio stations outside of NYC that call themselves new music stations sound like new music stations.

You're comparing apples to oranges. As I said, the facts show the station is playing as much new music, and playing new music as frequently as other broadcast stations, like KROQ or WRFF. But they're mixing in more classic stuff to appeal to the mass of New York people who still prefer those songs. Web sites like Pandora and YouTube can program thousands of radio stations catering to Alternative music with an unlimited combination of songs. WNYL is just one station. Playing all new music or just focusing on the last ten years has proven itself not to get the ratings it takes to make a station viable.

NY audiences hold on to older songs and artists longer than most other cities. New Yorkers still think of Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash as current country artists. Bruce Springsteen is still selling out multiple shows as though he's a current artist. You still have a core of people in NY who want doo wop from the 50s.

You're comparing apples to oranges. As I said, the facts show the station is playing as much new music, and playing new music as frequently as other broadcast stations, like KROQ or WRFF. But they're mixing in more classic stuff to appeal to the mass of New York people who still prefer those songs. Web sites like Pandora and YouTube can program thousands of radio stations catering to Alternative music with an unlimited combination of songs. WNYL is just one station. Playing all new music or just focusing on the last ten years has proven itself not to get the ratings it takes to make a station viable.

NY audiences hold on to older songs and artists longer than most other cities. New Yorkers still think of Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash as current country artists. Bruce Springsteen is still selling out multiple shows as though he's a current artist. You still have a core of people in NY who want doo wop from the 50s.

For Pandora it is the main new Alternative channel. Music Choice has two Alternative channels. Youtube simply selecting Alternative. Just clicking on any new alternative online provides new alternative like I described. Not a handful of songs from this year mixed in with beat to death 90s. It is not like I am speaking of something unusual.

Saying it is playing much new music is a bit of an exaggeration but I hear what you are saying. In my opinion this is why these Alternative formats ultimately fail. Playing the most worn out songs from 25 years ago is a recipe for the eventual death of the station.

In my opinion this is why these Alternative formats ultimately fail. Playing the most worn out songs from 25 years ago is a recipe for the eventual death of the station.

Actually its the other way around. The fan base for strictly new alt rock isn't big enough to support a broadcast station, just an internet stream. It's been proven several times, including when this station first flipped to alt. The station is getting better numbers now than it did earlier this year. Keep in mind that if you're an alt fan who was born in the 90s, these are relatively new songs to you. So younger alt fans see it differently. Plus as I've said before, the new bands simply don't promote themselves as well as REM and the rest used to do. At some point, it's up to the bands and their record labels to get out and build the audience. Not just expect people to show up.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom