WVNJ-AM Oakland, NJ - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WVNJ-AM Oakland, NJ

If that $750k included real estate, then no, I think a station that at least has the potential to reach NYC is a bargain at that price especially when one considers the price of real property in that part of NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by luperm View Post
    FM translator? Why would anyone want to listen to that with a dial full of well programmed NYC stations?
    In this case, it'll be niche programming. Those wanting Catholic radio, something not exactly available up and down the dial will tune in. It won't be a huge audience, but the purchaser has another mission in mind.

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    Now, I'm certainly not the most devout Catholic extant. Maybe not even on the block. I go to the wife's Lutheran church more often (same worship and ceremony to me, except one doesn't have a Pope :-)

But I'm in no immediate danger of becoming a heathen or a pagan, either. So my question is why anyone in 2018 would tune in some regional-signalled AM station to 'hear' Catholicism -- or any other religion. As Umfan suggests: such an audience can't be very big.

Televison? Bishop Sheen? I can see that -- 50 years ago. But *radio* ? AM radio? Come on, now.

(I will say three Hail Marys for posting this)
    Last edited by Steve Green NEPA; 09-21-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Lightning hit my chimney

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post
    So my question is why anyone in 2018 would tune in some regional-signalled AM station to 'hear' Catholicism -- or any other religion.
    That's the wrong question. People in missionary work don't think in those terms. They think in terms of spreading the word. It doesn't matter who listens, as long as the message gets out.

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    >> '... as long as the message gets out ...' <<
    Point taken, Big A.

My inquiry is, 'To whom -- what genre -- will the message be important?'

WVNJ is changing its format. That shift in itself means almost a thorough change in audience. The clearing away of one group of listeners to create room for an entirely new congregation is a big step for any format.

No doubt, the new format will be there to 'clear', understandably, the syndicated format in the NYC metro. I feel that is the only aim, and the only result.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post

No doubt, the new format will be there to 'clear', understandably, the syndicated format in the NYC metro. I feel that is the only aim, and the only result.
    I agree. Won't be the first time something like that has happened.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by umfan View Post
    In this case, it'll be niche programming. Those wanting Catholic radio, something not exactly available up and down the dial will tune in. It won't be a huge audience, but the purchaser has another mission in mind.
    It's a really limited audience, and amounts to preaching to the choir.

Many years ago, I had a lengthy conversation with Cardinal Landázuri Ricketts of Perú in regards to an AM/FM that the Church had acquired. Their intention was to make the FM commercial to sustain the evangelistic format on the AM.

I suggested that the goal should instead be to use the AM to bring the strays back into the flock... a commercial like format but no paid advertising. Instead, very brief messages, thoughts and bible verses in between the songs. Even testimonials of those who had a better life by being active in their church.

The format worked well, and the Cardinal was most pleased, even flying to Miami to take me to dinner on his way to Rome.

The conclusion is that religious stations that cast a net that only covers those they already have are wasting money, while looking for those who need to be invited back is the real opportunity. The Cardinal apparently brought this strategy up with other church leaders, but found that they all wanted to have mass for shut-ins and similar content for the deeply devout rather than using radio as a missionary effort.

While this occurred over 30 years ago, the idea of using radio for outreach by the Catholic Church has still not become popular or accepted. Even in Perú, the Archbishop who took over the stations after the Cardinal's death simply decided to sell them.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

There was an FM in Springfield, MA (WJMJ if memory serves) that had a 'golden oldies' show (50's - 60's) and in between sets interspersed their religious message. I liked the oldies but the 7-8 minute religious 'breaks' caused me to push the button to another station. Never used the word 'God'. Used something else instead. Don't know if they are still doing it, but it sounds like a try at what David proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by K6JHU View Post
    There was an FM in Springfield, MA (WJMJ if memory serves) that had a 'golden oldies' show (50's - 60's) and in between sets interspersed their religious message. I liked the oldies but the 7-8 minute religious 'breaks' caused me to push the button to another station. Never used the word 'God'. Used something else instead. Don't know if they are still doing it, but it sounds like a try at what David proposed.
    WJMJ is in West Hartford, Conn. It's affiliated with the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford. Not sure if the oldies show is still around, but the regular daytime format on weekdays is pop and AC oldies, a few standards, and soft-sell Catholicism. The breaks run 2 or 3 minutes and are more general advice about being kind, environmentally aware, etc. than hard-sell Catholic dogma. No fire and brimstone, for sure, and I've never heard a word said about the three hot-button church issues: abortion, female clergy and pedophile priests.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12