• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Florence

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
It's being compared to Fran in terms of its expected path. I heard someone say it will be only the second storm this bad in 150 years. Also, it could stall, meaning rain comparable to Floyd or Matthew.

I remember one detail about how radio responded to Fran. AC WGNI was all-talk while I was listening and they were providing information, even going so far as to get individuals in touch with each other who had no other way of making contact.

This is weird. I didn't know whether broadcasters would get some sort of exception to the rule about evacuating because they would be needed to provide information. I haven't sampled but one, WEZV in Myrtle Beach. I've had it on almost constantly since noon. I had to turn off the computer once when everything froze. But in three hours there has been no weather forecast or any kind of update, and the DJ that comes on that time of day came on only once just before the end of her shift, telling everyone to be safe, saying if you haven't left yet be sure and do so and take photos of your possessions, and hope it's all over soon and our town is still in good shape. And saying the DJ who does the next shift is coming in (again, could be just a recording?). Which could easily have been a recording she made before she left. Music has aired as usual along with commercials. One sponsor said instead of our commercial, we just want to tell everyone to be safe.

In the past I have done tornadoes, snow and ice emergencies and the station staff members were there to help. If your station / studios are likely to be in the storm surge, do you leave anybody behind giving accurate storm info? I guess (corporately thinking) that would be a volunteer with a waiver signed so the Heirs to that person’s estate do not sue you. I personally would never allow someone to risk their life. You can voice track but if the phone system or internet fails your ability to give updates fails too. If a Phone company central office or Cable head goes under water it can be several days before service is restored. That could make the “local” EAS input unworkable. If your operation survives operable it could be the only way local officials to communicate with the public for several days. Someone who can operate the station has be there to either let the officials in or read the messages. Could you arrange a FEMA helicopter or ATV get your person(s) back to the station?

In the past I have done tornadoes, snow and ice emergencies and the station staff members were there to help. If your station / studios are likely to be in the storm surge, do you leave anybody behind giving accurate storm info? I guess (corporately thinking) that would be a volunteer with a waiver signed so the Heirs to that person’s estate do not sue you. I personally would never allow someone to risk their life. You can voice track but if the phone system or internet fails your ability to give updates fails too. If a Phone company central office or Cable head goes under water it can be several days before service is restored. That could make the “local” EAS input unworkable. If your operation survives operable it could be the only way local officials to communicate with the public for several days. Someone who can operate the station has be there to either let the officials in or read the messages. Could you arrange a FEMA helicopter or ATV get your person(s) back to the station?

Last Year KHOU-TV had to leave their offices because Hurricane Harvey Flooded the Houston district Tegna Was in at the time and at that point Tegna had to either switch to the National CBS News for coverage or switch to a different Tegna Feed to take over the coverage until KHOU staff moved to the Houston Public Media offices.

Last Year KHOU-TV had to leave their offices because Hurricane Harvey Flooded the Houston district Tegna Was in at the time and at that point Tegna had to either switch to the National CBS News for coverage or switch to a different Tegna Feed to take over the coverage until KHOU staff moved to the Houston Public Media offices.

And last night, New Bern's WCTI had to evacuate due to rising waters. Their coverage was switched to sister station WPDE.

https://wcti12.com/weather/hurricane-stories/statement-from-wcti-general-manager-matt-bowman

G

https://www.wnct.com/news/local-news/wnct-radio-partners-during-hurricane-florence/1440533269

Update WNCT has announced that they are simulcasting their coverage on radio.

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) - If you lose power during Hurricane Florence, you can still listen to WNCT 9 On Your Side's coverage of the storm on the radio.

We have partnered with Inner Banks Media.

That includes the following stations:

107.9 WNCT
103.7 WTIB
Thunder County 96.3
94.3 The Game
94.1 Talk of the Town
Fresh 97.9

Anyone know what's happening on Wilmington radio? The Greenville-New Bern area was not someplace I expected to have problems.

I was relieved when I heard the theme music for "Wait! Wait!" on WFAE Charlotte but then whoever was supposed to hit the right button did so and they went back to Scott Simon and another hour of "Weekend Edition". I currently Wait Wait for today's podcast.

No real problems around here that I'm aware of. There hasn't been a lot of rain and the wind hasn't been too serious. Still, when I heard news, there were lots of people without power and more expected, in the Charlotte area. I have to assume it is worse in some areas than it is where I live. One forecast says a foot of rain for everyone. The real rain is supposed to come in tonight and tomorrow.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...radio-stations-remain-off-air-as-hurricane-fl

Here is the latest on stations affected by Florence.

As of SUNDAY (9/16), 20 FM and 3 AM stations reported being out of service due to the storm, according to the FCC:

FM: EMF Contemporary Christian WBNK (K-LOVE)/PINE KNOLL SHORES-NEW BERN, NC; Contemporary Christian WCCE (HIS RADIO)/BUIES CREEK-FAYETTEVILLE, NC;, BENNETTSVILLE COMMUNITY RADIO Southern Gospel WEHF-LP/BENNETTSVILLE, SC; EASTERN AIRWAVES/CURTIS MEDIA Beach Music WELS-F/KINSTON, NC; ALL SAINTS CATHOLIC MEDIA Religion WFNE-LP (DIVINE MERCY RADIO)/WAKE FOREST, NC; EMF Contemporary Christian WFVL (K-LOVE)/LUMBERTON-FAYETTEVILLE, NC; EMF Contemporary Christian WHAR (AIR1)/MOREHEAD CITY, NC; CURTIS MEDIA Urban WIKS (101.9 KISS FM)/NEW BERN, NC; EMF Contemporary Christian WKGV (K-LOVE)/SWANSBORO-WILMINGTON, NC; CUMULUS Classic Rock WKXS-F (94.5 THE HAWK)/LELAND-WILMINGTON, NC; iHEARTMEDIA Regional Mexican WLQB (EL PATRON 93.5)/OCEAN ISLE BEACH, NC; CURTIS MEDIA GROUP Hot AC WMGV (V103/3)/NEWPORT-NEW BERN, NC; CUMULUS Urban WMNX (COAST 97.3)/WILMINGTON, NC; INNER BANKS MEDIA News-Talk WNBU/ORIENTAL-NEW BERN, NC; CLIO OPERA INC. Variety WOPA-LP/CLIO, SC; INNER BANKS MEDIA Country WRHT (96.3 THUNDER COUNTRY)/MOREHEAD CITY, NC; MARLBORO COUNTY BROADCASTWRS Variety WRQP-LP/BENNETTSVILLE, SC; CURTIS MEDIA Classic Rock WSFL-F/NEW BERN, NC; CURTIS MEDIA Top 40/Rhythmic WXNR (HOT 99.5)/GRIFTON-NEW BERN, NC; and NEW AGE COMMUNICATIONS Country WZKT (97.7 KATIE COUNTRY)/WALNUT CREEK-KINSTON, NC.

AM: CUMULUS News-Talk WAAV-A/LELAND-WILMINGTON, NC; EASTERN AIRWAVES/CURTIS MEDIA Urban WSSG-A (92.7 JAMZ)/GOLDSBORO, NC; EASTERN AIRWAVES/CURTIS MEDIA Gospel WWMC-A (GOSPEL 1010 AM & 92.9 FM)/KINSTON, NC.

In addition, 3 other FM stations reported "being down with programming sent to another station": CUMULUS AC WGNI/WILMINGTON, NC; REGIONAL BAHA'I COUNCIL OF THE SOUTHEASTERN STATES Variety WLGI (RADIO BAHA'I)/HEMINGWAY-MYRTLE BEACH, SC; INNER BANKS MEDIA News-Talk WTIB (TALK FM 103.7)/WILLIAMSTON-GREENVILLE, NC.

Meanwhile, 100 FM stations and 28 AM stations reported that they remained operational. As for TV, SINCLAIR ABC affiliate WCTI-TV/NEW BERN, NC and LMA sister FOX affiliate WYDO-TV (FOX EASTERN CAROLINA)/GREENVILLE, NC were knocked off the air, as was MERCYS BRIDGE MEDIA independent WTNG-CD/LUMBERTON, NC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom