WLS-FM....?

Thread: WLS-FM....?

WLS-FM....?

Last time I perused the Chicago ratings, I recall WLS-FM was struggling.
    (Wasn't this a few years back that Landecker was hosting the evening show on LS-FM?)

I figured it was part of the overall Cumulus restructuring.

Looking at the numbers today 'LS-FM seems to be doing pretty OK!

Have they made changes in the LS-FM format/positioning in the last couple of years that improved LS-FM's ratings?

Thanks!

(I'm outside the market.)

The demises of K-Hits and The Loop definitely helped their numbers.

The playlist was adjusted (they are playing more classic rock than before) and substantial changes were made to the on-air jock lineup in recent months. I agree that the demise of K-Hits and WLUP helped in a big way.

Interesting that the ratings went up after Landecker and Biondi left.

I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Agreed...JRL and Biondi were heavily listened to..the competition going away is the biggest thing that accounts for the healthy ratings..

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ContinuousWave View Post
    Agreed...JRL and Biondi were heavily listened to..the competition going away is the biggest thing that accounts for the healthy ratings..
    Am I correct in believing that Landecker left WLS.FM several years ago and was in evenings, anyway?

And Biondi had been late-nights on WLS-FM but moved to weekends only some time back?

Neither were "heavily listened to" as those dayparts don't have heavy or significant listening.

The change in format at "the other station" helped. But WLS-FM changed its morning approach some talent and updated its music.

WJMK changed to WBMX in November of last year. WLS-FM kept its 25-54 ratings in the same range as in previous 2107 results for the next 5 monthly PPMs. No change for five months. In December, January Holiday and February, WLS-FM was below their 2017 year to date 25-54 average, even without a competitor. The problem was internal.

WLS-FM only started to spike in the last 3 books, in fact. So whatever they did, it was done in the March-April-May period as the loss of a direct competitor did not seem to be of any benefit.

My take is that the station sounded too old, and had too much of an "old" stigma. Somehow, they shook that in the late Spring and just recently have seen the benefit.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 09-10-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by radioman148 View Post
    I don't think that had anything to do with it.
    Didn't say it did...just that their leaving didn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ContinuousWave View Post

Agreed...JRL and Biondi were heavily listened to..
    I think they are both great talents...however, my look at the rating during their time there....doesn't indicate they were "heavily listened to".

Not that I am aware of, like mentioned with the endings of K-Hits and The Loop, the only big completion left is Me TV FM, and maybe even The Drive. There have bene a few changes with DJS including the return of Dave Fogel in the mornings after the demise of K-Hits, with Brant Miller only doing weather reports throughout the day, including the morning drive, and weekends and with Tom O"Toole, Brain Peck, and Danny Lake splitting the night shifts 5 nights a week.