• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings August 2018.

Never thought I’d see WODS, a full market signal, getting only a few more listeners monthly than WXLO, a rimshot from 45 miles away. Also, I’m quite surprised to see WCOD getting even a marginal share in the market as it’s fringe signal doesn’t even cover Boston! It’s not as weird as WCRB getting a share in the Providence market, considering it’s signal doesn’t come in over 99% of the market.

Last edited:
...It’s not as weird as WCRB getting a share in the Providence market, considering it’s signal doesn’t come in over 99% of the market.

WCRB is rebroadcast in the Providence area on 88.7 WJMF Smithfield, RI. It's a direct full-time simulcast, so it could show up as ratings for WCRB.

I see a couple "streams" in the ratings.
I don't see AM stations that have FM translators , like WRCA 1330/106.1 (maybe doesn't subscribe?) or WJIB 740/101.3 (probably not a subscriber).WUBG 1570 has an FMt in Medford at 105.3

Limited range of course...Wonder if any listeners of an FM translator get counted in with the main station?
For awhile there have been AM talk stations using FM translators like WFEA Manchester NH and WGAN Portland ME

WCRB is rebroadcast in the Providence area on 88.7 WJMF Smithfield, RI. It's a direct full-time simulcast, so it could show up as ratings for WCRB.

Is the signal encoded to be recognized by the PPMs as WCRB or WJMF? Or is Providence still a diary market? If the latter, then yes, WCRB would be what its listeners would write down, as chances are they barely hear WJMF mentioned on air.

Nice jump for WEEI FM.
19th nervous brakedown

Each station and station service is separately encoded. Even the stream of a station is separately encoded from the OTA signal. Simulcast partners are separately encoded for each station in a simulcast. Non-subscriber are given encoders, too.

Any listening for WJMF will be attributed to WJMF. The station shows up in the Providence book under WJMF, indicating that it is encoded correctly. It does not show up in the Boston book, meaning that listening levels are below the minimum required for being in the ratings report for Boston.

I see a couple "streams" in the ratings.
I don't see AM stations that have FM translators , like WRCA 1330/106.1 (maybe doesn't subscribe?) or WJIB 740/101.3 (probably not a subscriber).WUBG 1570 has an FMt in Medford at 105.3

Limited range of course...Wonder if any listeners of an FM translator get counted in with the main station?
For awhile there have been AM talk stations using FM translators like WFEA Manchester NH and WGAN Portland ME

Translator listening is shown by Nielsen under the call letters of the station being "translated" which may be an AM, FM or HD subchannel.

Stations that do not subscribe do not get listed in the public data release, but subscribers see the results, as do ad agency subscribers.

Is the signal encoded to be recognized by the PPMs as WCRB or WJMF? Or is Providence still a diary market? If the latter, then yes, WCRB would be what its listeners would write down, as chances are they barely hear WJMF mentioned on air.

Providence and Boston are both PPM markets.

Each signal, stream, simulcast partner, HD subchannel is separately encoded.

The disparagy between mix and Amp Radio is widening! If it wasn't for the fact that Back To The 80's is now on Magic and that Mix has a good formula working, I'd suggest that they make WODS an 80''s/90's station. But I don't the demographic breakdowns, so this all mere speculation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom