• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

August Ratings

But it still can't beat the Wolf...8th place this month. I see The Jet dropped down to 4th as 94.9 and 97.3 climb up the ratings - thanks to the never-ending roller coaster that is the news cycle. And look - the automated iHeart Christian music on 104.9 gets some 0.1 love, finally. Not as good as 'South Sound's Smooth Jazz' however, lol. The Sound is taking nice bites out of WARM, just 3/10ths of a point below them.
No KNWR, but a few PPM people listen to NWPR through 88.9 KSWS down in Chehalis, which is sitting at 0.1 this month.

But it still can't beat the Wolf...8th place this month.

After making the normal "12+ numbers are meaningless" reminder, I'd also add that it's absolutely not necessary to be #1 or to beat a particular competitor to be successful. As long as a station has an appreciable audience in the target demo for agency and transactional accounts, they can be highly profitable. And for direct sales, as long as there are enough listeners to make an impression at the cash register, a station can do well.

Keep in mind that those recent 0.1 showings are predominantly there because of Nielsen's change in Minimum Reporting Standards whereby any subscribed station that has any reported cume will get an automatic "thank you for participating" 0.1 share.

Countdown to "A" telling us how great 98.9 is doing in three, two...

They haven't changed formats yet, have they? In fact they're fairly competitive. They have a full staff of local talent. They're making appearances at all the summer concerts and festivals. And they've exceeded the ratings from the previous format. Meanwhile, the Wolf is still below where KMPS was one year ago.

I was looking at the ratings in other markets, and I noticed that station streams were showing up at the bottom, Philidelphia having a large number of them. I'm surprised that's not happening hear yet. I remember KUOW used to have its stream show up, but that disappeared long ago, and hasn't reappeared.

I was looking at the ratings in other markets, and I noticed that station streams were showing up at the bottom, Philidelphia having a large number of them. I'm surprised that's not happening hear yet. I remember KUOW used to have its stream show up, but that disappeared long ago, and hasn't reappeared.

Nielsen changed its Minimum Reporting Standards in June, and starting with the July book any encoded service of a subscribed local client that has valid cume (meaning, at least one qualifying listening incident by one meter carrying panelist) gets you a "thanks for participating" 0.1 share.

It's not so much the ratings as it is $$$ a station brings in. Hell, it could be dead last in everything else. But if it's making halfway decent money (or for AM, at least pulling it's own weight), what's the incentive to go through the expense of changing it and messing up the cashflow that's already there for an unpredictable future where it may not?

It appears 98.9 The Bull has potential.

Seattle has a high tolerance for faux country, evidently.

In the demos that matter, are 93.3 & 106.1 as a pair performing any better than they were prior to the format changes?

Seattle has a high tolerance for faux country, evidently.

Current country is no different from any other current format. It sounds current, not classic.

People in Seattle are great fans of music, regardless of format or label.

In the demos that matter, are 93.3 & 106.1 as a pair performing any better than they were prior to the format changes?

I just dove into the numbers and below is what it looks like. These are all M-F 6a-7p because that's what matters the most. All numbers are based on 93.3/106.1 as a combo.

P18-34
The combo of KBKS/KUBE peaked in June with a 4.8% increase from KBKS/KPWK’s previous 12 month high which happened in February. This was their highest share since the pre-Power days, going back to September 2015. They were running commercial free during that time and once they added spots back on KUBE, the combo’s share fell by 21.1% in July, and an additional 8.1% in August. Their August 18-34 share was the second lowest the combo has seen in the past 12 months (only December ’17 was worse). Rank wise, the combo of KBKS/KUBE would have been tied for 2nd with KQMV and beat by KISW.

P18-49
Again, the combo peaked in June when KUBE was commercial free. This produced their highest share since January 2018, but only the third highest in the past 12 months. In July they dropped over a share which was a 14.1% decrease. In August the downtrend continued with another 3% drop. The combo’s August share was the lowest since the Holiday 2015 book, literally the month before the flip to Power. Rank wise, the combo of KBKS/KUBE would have been in a distant 3rd place behind KQMV and KISW.

P25-54
June was again the combo’s best producing month after the flip, but was only 4.7% above their 12-month average. Once KUBE added commercials back on in July, the combo dropped 13.6%, and in August dropped an additional 1.8%. The combo’s August share was the lowest since April 2016. As a combo, their August rank would have been 6th behind KISW, KQMV, KIRO-FM, KUOW and KZOK.

Although I know it's commonplace, I have trouble with market groups touting combo numbers. Most groups spread their demos out with multiple stations/formats, but as an example, having an AM that brings in a .1 share lumped in their combo numbers is doing nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig. Yes I know, in this digital vs. traditional agency battle it's all about number of impressions, not actual targets.

Although I know it's commonplace, I have trouble with market groups touting combo numbers. Most groups spread their demos out with multiple stations/formats, but as an example, having an AM that brings in a .1 share lumped in their combo numbers is doing nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig. Yes I know, in this digital vs. traditional agency battle it's all about number of impressions, not actual targets.

The combo was used in this instance to compare/contrast the two stations since they flipped and tweaked their formats at the same time (twice). And to demonstrate how even the two put together still can't beat some standalone stations in these demos.

Belatedly, I want to give a sincere "Thank You!" to iamarussianpirate for taking the time to break down the numbers in detail. :)

Yeah, his insight is very helpful to many of us who do not know the ins and outs of local ratings and the like.

Much like some of the other experts who come on here, the Big A and Mr. Eduardo, their input is also always pretty helpful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom