96.5 to Rhythmic Hot AC?

Thread: 96.5 to Rhythmic Hot AC?

96.5 to Rhythmic Hot AC?

For the second time in a year, WTDY has shifted formats yet again. This time, it retains its branding and much of its playlist, but has dropped most of the pop rock product in favor of rhythmic product. A sample hour includes:
    Bruno Mars That’s What I Like
    Cee Lo Green Forget Yoy
    Post Malone Better Now
    Maroon 5 Girls Like You
    Imagine Dragons Thunder
    Justin Timberlake Cry Me a River
    Cardi B I Like It
    Ed Sheeran Shape of You
    Rihanna S&M
    5 Seconds of Summer Youngblood
    Marshmello Friends
    Nelly Hot In Here
    Bebe Rexha Meant to Be
    Taylor Swift Delicate
    Beyoncé Single Ladies

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgsinger View Post
    For the second time in a year, WTDY has shifted formats yet again. This time, it retains its branding and much of its playlist, but has dropped most of the pop rock product in favor of rhythmic product. A sample hour includes:
    Cee Lo Green Forget Yoy
    Post Malone Better Now
    Maroon 5 Girls Like You
    Imagine Dragons Thunder
    Cardi B I Like It
    Ed Sheeran Shape of You
    Rihanna S&M
    Marshmello Friends
    Nelly Hot In Here
    Bebe Rexha Meant to Be
    Taylor Swift Delicate
    Beyoncé Single Ladies

Thoughts?
    Everybody's chasing the soccer moms -- who love to spend and are suckers for a good ad pitch. Perfect storm for the advertisers.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Cee Lo Green Forget Yoy
    Post Malone Better Now
    Maroon 5 Girls Like You
    Imagine Dragons Thunder
    Cardi B I Like It
    Ed Sheeran Shape of You
    Rihanna S&M
    Marshmello Friends
    Nelly Hot In Here
    Bebe Rexha Meant to Be
    Taylor Swift Delicate
    Beyoncé Single Ladies

Thoughts?
    It's the end of the summer, which is one of two times a year that stations prefer for music library testing. It sounds like the station discovered a trend among its listeners and adjusted for it.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Cee Lo Green Forget Yoy
    Post Malone Better Now
    Maroon 5 Girls Like You
    Imagine Dragons Thunder
    Cardi B I Like It
    Ed Sheeran Shape of You
    Rihanna S&M
    Marshmello Friends
    Nelly Hot In Here
    Bebe Rexha Meant to Be
    Taylor Swift Delicate
    Beyoncé Single Ladies

Thoughts?
    At the moment, it just seems like a station pushing further towards CHR to keep themselves a safe distance from soon-to-be-sister and cash cow WBEB. They seem to straddle the CHR/Hot AC line right now, still giving spins to "Rock" acts like Imagine Dragons, The Lumineers, and Portugal. The Man. Plus their spin totals (pushing 100x per week for their powers) would put them on the high end of the Hot AC average.

Hot AC has ALWAYS been tough in Philly. Before, WTDY was shifting around trying to take some of WBEB's listeners. Now they're shifting around to make sure they don't hurt their new sister.

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    At the moment, it just seems like a station pushing further towards CHR to keep themselves a safe distance from soon-to-be-sister and cash cow WBEB. They seem to straddle the CHR/Hot AC line right now, still giving spins to "Rock" acts like Imagine Dragons, The Lumineers, and Portugal. The Man. Plus their spin totals (pushing 100x per week for their powers) would put them on the high end of the Hot AC average.

Hot AC has ALWAYS been tough in Philly. Before, WTDY was shifting around trying to take some of WBEB's listeners. Now they're shifting around to make sure they don't hurt their new sister.
    Yeah, I thought about that as well. This must be the reason why WSTW focuses mostly on Wilmington?

Cee Lo Green Forget Yoy
    Post Malone Better Now
    Maroon 5 Girls Like You
    Imagine Dragons Thunder
    Cardi B I Like It
    Ed Sheeran Shape of You
    Rihanna S&M
    Marshmello Friends
    Nelly Hot In Here
    Bebe Rexha Meant to Be
    Taylor Swift Delicate
    Beyoncé Single Ladies

Thoughts?
    I was in an Uber for about 45 minutes yesterday and the driver actually had this station on. I was like "Wow! They're back to Rhythmic!" I can understand wanting to not compete with soon-to-be-sister More FM but these songs are on a whole bunch of other (mostly higher-rated) stations already. This feels like they're just trying to keep the lights on. (So does the name 96.5 TDY, in fact.)

Yeah, I thought about that as well. This must be the reason why WSTW focuses mostly on Wilmington?
    Nah. That's because their signal is a Wilmington signal. Yes, they can be heard decently though a lot of the Philly market, but overall, their signal isn't strong enough across the entire market to make it a profitable Philly station.

They make more money being the big fish in a small pond than by being a small fish in a big pond.

This is straight up adult chr, for the last 10 years chr has a more rhythmic texture so nothing is new here and even the hot acs are I guess by old school standards mostly rhythmic as well now. They are not a rhythmic hot ac, there are lots of songs that a station like ktu wont touch.

Bruno Mars That’s What I Like-hot ac and core artist
    Cee Lo Green Forget Yoy-hot ac
    Post Malone Better Now-#1 at chr and gaining greatly at hot ac right now
    Maroon 5 Girls Like You #1 hot ac song in the country
    Imagine Dragons Thunder ***A song you would never hear on a rhythmic station NOT RHYTHMIC
    Justin Timberlake Cry Me a River-hot ac
    Cardi B I Like It-THIS IS THE CHR CUT that makes them adult chr
    Ed Sheeran Shape of You hot ac
    Rihanna S&M hot ac
    5 Seconds of Summer Youngblood top 10 at hot ac now NOT RHYTHMIC
    Marshmello Friends NOT A BIG HOT AC HIT, more a chr hit but many hot ac's had it in power
    Nelly Hot In Here-hot ac...really think this is a hip hop song in 2018?lmao
    Bebe Rexha Meant to Be-hot ac NOT RHYTHMIC
    Taylor Swift Delicate hot ac NOT RHYTHMIC
    Beyoncé Single Ladies hot ac

I could buy this as a chr in smaller markets but in Philly this still isn't chr and it certainly isn't rhythmic. This could be on the yellow brick road to chr, but probably for now a chance to see if this is out of WBEB's way enough while preventing a true hot ac competitor and also taking some from q102. Not only a flanker but can be packaged with WBEB even though it seems WBEB is already the #1 station for women 18-34 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DOB View Post
    This is straight up adult chr, for the last 10 years chr has a more rhythmic texture so nothing is new here and even the hot acs are I guess by old school standards mostly rhythmic as well now. They are not a rhythmic hot ac, there are lots of songs that a station like ktu wont touch.

Bruno Mars That’s What I Like-hot ac and core artist
    Cee Lo Green Forget Yoy-hot ac
    Post Malone Better Now-#1 at chr and gaining greatly at hot ac right now
    Maroon 5 Girls Like You #1 hot ac song in the country
    Imagine Dragons Thunder ***A song you would never hear on a rhythmic station NOT RHYTHMIC
    Justin Timberlake Cry Me a River-hot ac
    Cardi B I Like It-THIS IS THE CHR CUT that makes them adult chr
    Ed Sheeran Shape of You hot ac
    Rihanna S&M hot ac
    5 Seconds of Summer Youngblood top 10 at hot ac now NOT RHYTHMIC
    Marshmello Friends NOT A BIG HOT AC HIT, more a chr hit but many hot ac's had it in power
    Nelly Hot In Here-hot ac...really think this is a hip hop song in 2018?lmao
    Bebe Rexha Meant to Be-hot ac NOT RHYTHMIC
    Taylor Swift Delicate hot ac NOT RHYTHMIC
    Beyoncé Single Ladies hot ac

I could buy this as a chr in smaller markets but in Philly this still isn't chr and it certainly isn't rhythmic. This could be on the yellow brick road to chr, but probably for now a chance to see if this is out of WBEB's way enough while preventing a true hot ac competitor and also taking some from q102. Not only a flanker but can be packaged with WBEB even though it seems WBEB is already the #1 station for women 18-34 lol.
    I call it Adult Rhythmic CHR. We run a similar format on our Meridian station. It has more recurent and gold based product than your Hot AC or Rhythmic CHR. CHR right now is a mess. This is basically a safe playlist to keep the mother daughter coaliton on the same station. November will be our 5th year running this format, and we have made slight changes depending on the direction the charts are trending.
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville